Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frontline service workers - are they all that ?

• 27-02-2013 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Frontline service workers.
    Do they really think they are distinct for the rest of the working population ?
    Or are they just following a clever cooperative branding campaign by their union leaders ?

Which ? 66 votes

Frontline worker specialness is a spin by their unions
    0% 0 votes
    Frontline workers are genuinely special and deserving of special treatment
    100% 66 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pat Kenny reference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

They are being used by the unions to garner sympathy for the entire PS. Not our fault if they forked out loads of money to buy over priced houses and used 'overtime' as a factor in core pay. Core pay is core pay, that’s your salary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I would spit at a fireman if he was cutting me out of my car at an RTA, then hurl abuse at the paramedic / nurse that was trying to save my life.

Bunch of PS wasters! :rolleyes:

Doin' nothin' but drink tea and gettin an allowance for it. They should be on the scratcher for 10 years like me, they don't contribute to society at all, they have the country in bits the greedy feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

just gonna grab a beer and popcorn and await the ruptions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They're a bunch of plottin commies trying to bring down the foundations of the state that ought to be taken out and shot. That reactionary enough for ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Should they be well paid? Yes they should.

Should money be a motivating force for them to do the job in the first place? Fcuk no

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

They do jobs most people would not be emotionally able for. Nurses, Docs, Therapists, Guards, Firefighters- these people we take for granted, but what if they weren't there? They have serious responsibility every day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This will end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Ah I see you brought the Pitchforks , OP.

Someone get a fire going for the torches, I'll get the Tar & Feathers.

Nothin' bates a good ol' lynchin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I would spit at a fireman if he was cutting me out of my car at an RTA, then hurl abuse at the paramedic / nurse that was trying to save my life.

Doin' nothin' but drink tea and gettin an allowance for it. They should be on the scratcher for 10 years like me, they don't contribute to society at all, they have the country in bits the greedy feckers!
    Yeah, the "essential" feckers. I bet if they were all gone, we wouldn't miss them for 5 minutes. Any more than 5 minutes might be pushing it, but 5 minutes, I'm good with that. Wasters. Sure we have bankers to be paying, and they're "systemic". Beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where To wrote: »

Should money be a motivating force for them to do the job in the first place? Fcuk no

Should money be a motivating force for anybody to do a job in the first place? Probably too deep and philosophical a question to be asking in AH but sure I may as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i am self employed trying to keep a business going in an economic depression

this is the real frontline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tea? Those tea drinking basterds, we should go to Dublin Bay and dump all the teabags we have... all the milk too for good measure.

If my heart stops, forgive me if you're not the first one I call. Assuming I can use a phone with a stopped heart. Which could be tricky. Unless it's an iPhone with "call someone if I'm dead" app loaded..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

For fcuk sake, MONEY IS THE MOTIVATING FORCE for doing any job. If you aren't getting paid enough, they why bother your ar5e doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well maybe for you it is, but no. No it's not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In my humble opinion the wages of the politicians and the frontline workers should be swapped. I have much more respect for a nurse than I do for a politician.

Dwork wrote: »
    Yeah, the "essential" feckers. I bet if they were all gone, we wouldn't miss them for 5 minutes. Any more than 5 minutes might be pushing it, but 5 minutes, I'm good with that. Wasters. Sure we have bankers to be paying, and they're "systemic". Beat that.

Yeah!

Oh wait, how did we end up hating the PS again? Oh yeah, bankers, developers, bail outs...the country has no money because we handed it over to ze Germans. Ohes noes, now we have no money to pay the backbone of the country.

Wait, Iv an idea.....claw it back from all the tax payers over 10 years. Turn the two sectors against each other...make everyone hate the PS and try to force them to work for nothin'. That will get us in the clear.

The people who are now slating the PS would never dream of joining the Public Sector in the "Celtic Tiger" because they were making much more in the Private Sector.....now the PS are all allowance grabbing gob****es that have a cheek to earn a decent wage.

/strip 'em of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

and those pubic service workers think there all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

You would not have the opportunity to do that without the graft of the "backline" public servant.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    For fcuk sake, MONEY IS THE MOTIVATING FORCE for doing any job. If you aren't getting paid enough, they why bother your ar5e doing it.
    Anyone who does a job for the money is nothing but a waster in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Expand a bit on that rather inflammatory statement. Obviously a wage is the main draw for a job. How the hell are they a waster if the job involves hard work and crap hours...? :confused:
    Should they draw the dole rather than take any job offers, the attraction of which are purely the money? Would that be less waster-ish?

Ya whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??????

Madam_X wrote: »
    Expand a bit on that rather inflammatory statement. Obviously a wage is the main draw for a job.
    If you don't like your job, why do it?

If you do like your job, you do it regardless of money.

Yeah!

Oh wait, how did we end up hating the PS again? Oh yeah, bankers, developers, bail outs...the country has no money because we handed it over to ze Germans. Ohes noes, now we have no money to pay the backbone of the country.

Wait, Iv an idea.....claw it back from all the tax payers over 10 years. Turn the two sectors against each other...make everyone hate the PS and try to force them to work for nothin'. That will get us in the clear.

The people who are now slating the PS would never dream of joining the Public Sector in the "Celtic Tiger" because they were making much more in the Private Sector.....now the PS are all allowance grabbing gob****es that have a cheek to earn a decent wage.

/strip 'em of everything.
    Now. There's such a thing as getting an inch, and taking a mile. I want my mile back, please.:mad:

Because you'd rather be working than on the dole and having nothing to do and earning less? And why would doing a job purely for the money it pays automatically mean not liking it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Expand a bit on that rather inflammatory statement. Obviously a wage is the main draw for a job. How the hell are they a waster if the job involves hard work and crap hours...? :confused:
    Should they draw the dole rather than take any job offers the attraction of which are purely the money? Would that be less waster-ish?

It's an interesting debate to be fair.

Do you live to work or just live to live? Where do you draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Has no one mentioned 'yellow pack' yet? We're losing our touch :pac:

Now. There's such a thing as getting an inch, and taking a mile. I want my mile back, please.:mad:

No! It's my mile now! Take it off me in the budget! :P

• Advertisement

If you do like your job, you do it regardless of money.

I do my job to pay my mortgage n feed myself. So nobody else has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Atari jaguar?

Because you'd rather be working than on the dole and having nothing to do and earning less? And why would doing a job purely for the money it pays automatically mean not liking it?
    That doesn't wash with me at all, if money is the prime factor in determining how well you do your job then you're better off staying the house, for your* sake and for the rest of us.

*Not directing it at you in particular, this is a major bugbear of mine.:)

I do my job to pay my mortgage n feed myself. So nobody else has to.
    Fair enough.

I wouldn't employ you though.:)

Fair enough.

Who would you employ? Millionaires who don't have mortgages and don't have to worry about bills?

Fair enough.

Bummer. Nothing beats working for a taxi-driver. I remember my days walking out front with a red-flag fondly. Them were the days.

• Advertisement

Who would you employ? Millionaires who don't have mortgages and don't have to worry about bills?
    Someone who does the job because the actually like doing it, wouldn't bother me if they were a millionaire or a pauper.

It's all about attitude.:)

Bummer. Nothing beats working for a taxi-driver. I remember my days walking out front with a red-flag fondly. Them were the days.

I remember offering €100 to a taxi guy to bring me from Dublin City Centre to Gormanston, 30 minute drive...."ah no bud, sure I wouldn't get a fare on the way back" :confused:

Someone who does the job because the actually like doing it, wouldn't bother me if they were a millionaire or a pauper.

That's fair enough, but calling someone who does a job just for the money a "waster" (and not acknowledging every job is going to be enjoyable, or the expenses many people, especially with children, have) is extremely silly.

I mightn't enjoy my job and only be doing it for the money, but why does that make you think I've a bad attitude or that I wouldn't be very good at my job?

"Nurse, Nurse, I've shat the bed again, come help!"

Where-tos Nurse-"Oh joy, how lucky am I? Wages, pfft, I need no such earthly thing"

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, but calling someone who does a job just for the money a "waster" (and not acknowledging every job is going to be enjoyable, or the expenses many people, especially with children, have) is extremely silly.
    Yeah, maybe I'm a silly old fool, but I'm a stubborn one too and nothing is ever going to change my opinion that anyone doing a job when they don't care about it is a waste.

Yeah, maybe I'm a silly old fool, but I'm a stubborn one too and nothing is ever going to change my opinion that anyone doing a job when they don't care about it is a waste.
    You've moved the goalposts - initially it was people doing a job just for money, then people who don't like their job , now people who don't care about their job. Can all be mutually exclusive.

Yeh a person who doesn't care about their job and barely makes an effort shouldn't be there... but they'll probably get fired.

I mightn't enjoy my job and only be doing it for the money, but why does that make you think I've a bad attitude or that I wouldn't be very good at my job?
    If you don't like it, how can you do it to the best of your ability? Give it 100% even when you are in bad form? I like broccolli, I don't like carrots, which do you think I enjoy eating more?

You've moved the goalposts - initially it was people doing a job just for money, then people who don't like their job , now people who don't care about their job. Can all be mutually exclusive.

Yeh a person who doesn't care about their job and barely makes an effort shouldn't be there... but they'll probably get fired.
    I'm not moving the goalposts, I'm just ranting that hard that I keep forgetting where they are.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If you don't like it, how can you do it to the best of your ability? Give it 100% even when you are in bad form? I like broccolli, I don't like carrots, which do you think I enjoy eating more?

Yeah but I bet you would eat those carrots if someone was giving you money to do it.

Do you think that bin men and jacks scrubbers of our world go home with a smile on their faces? And go to work with an even bigger smile?

There's a huge difference in not caring about your job and only doing it for the money.

I'm doing my job for the money, but it's incorrect to say that I don't care about my job. I care about my job enough to do it properly and keep the money coming in.

Soo, you've dealt with Businesses in Ireland before, have you? I've yet to notice a "Give it 100% even when you are in bad form" attitude. Even amongst feckers that are getting payed like Biggie.

Do you think that bin men and jacks scrubbers of our world go home with a smile on their faces? And go to work with an even bigger smile?

Or doctors or nurses who have to care for a child rape victim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Money is only a short term motivator.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Money is only a short term motivator.

It's the fear of lack of money that is my long term motivator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement