Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** German Oral **

• 26-02-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to prepare for these oral exams, I'll be doing German in a couple of months. How did you prepare or how are you planning to prepare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

For German I usually learn the rollenspiel by rote learning but learning extra to be flexible for an unusual question. In the bildergesichte I learn the story and keep writing out until I know it all I make up my own answers for typical questions on them. For general questions I just learn a load of sentences on different topics. Anyway everyone is different so try things out and see what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

For German the Rollenspiel can be learned off by heart. Just make sure you can answer all the questions on the cards. This is a good place to pick up marks so don't leave any of them out. Friends I had who left out one of them always seemed to get the one they didn't study (Murphy's law I guess :P ). There's only five so just learn them all off! :)

If you're doing the Projekt instead of the Bildergeschichten, you need to make sure you have a pre-written piece learned off about your project (get your teacher to check it for grammar) that lasts about 2 minutes (time yourself saying it out loud) because the examiner will stop you if it goes over 2 minutes. Prepare answers on questions about the pictures or written pieces on the project itself as well as answers to general questions about doing the project itself e.g where you bought the materials, where you found the information, how long it took to make etc.

There are good books with questions and answers for the general conversation which you can learn off! They don't tend to ask complicated questions here so don't worry! I got asked about my family, my school, my hobbies, the last holiday I went on (they always ask a perfect tense question) and what I wanted to do in college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Threads separated into Irish and German oral threads - Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Hey. So basically I have a sh**e German teacher and I have a few questions for anyone who actually has a capable teacher.

My oral is coming up during Easter and I have no preparation done bar the roleplays and a small bit of my Projekt. Anyway, I've never done a practice oral and am confused about the layout and format.
    My first question embarrassingly is, how long is the oral? And each section within the oral?

As well as that, what is the format of the general conversation? Is it like Irish where they ask you "tell me about your family" and you go off on a big spiel? Or is it just basic questions and one line answers? Really stuck here!
    Any help would be appreciated & thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

It's usually between 10-15 minutes. Generally 5 mins per section.

More or less like Irish. Say as much as you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Seriously? Great. All I have are basic one line answers.
    Any online notes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I was to advised to take the initiave in allgemeine frage, so say when I get asked about siblings, I don't just say I have 2 brothers or whatever, but say I'm the oldest, I have my own room they share theirs etc. It doesn't have to be true, but don't het tangled in your lies :P .

Advertisement