Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rs Type 56 pesky Nub screw

• 27-02-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I went to disassemble my Rs Type 56-2 during the week.All was going well until I had to remove the front end.Its held in by 2 nub screws ,the first is accessed by removing the rear sight ,the second by removing the top cover and then the battery.
    My problem is, the second screw doesnt give you much room to adjust ,its more of an austin powers back and forth kinda job but its stuck solid and the front end aint budging.

All I can think of is to drill a hole beside the access hole for the first screw and them ill have better leverage but id like some other ideas before I take a drill to my baby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭thermo

can you post pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

thermo wrote: »
    can you post pics?
    ill have them up for you in the morning.

cheers!

Here you go,better late then never.
    20130227_182805_zpsbb910e1a.jpg
    This photo you can see the screw thats giving the trouble.(sorry for the upside down picture,photobucket keeps changing it)

20130227_182725_zps820e1713.jpg
    here you can see where i was going to drill.

can you not get it with an allen key bit for a cordless screwdriver like this
    mZ71udDXC294aqZVwvKB5rg.jpg
    and use a spanner to turn it, or you could try a ball end allen key like this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPzXURi0S7GDtZ-J4dJCOkYu8JXfI0_GAPlvwlMeZ_0kzEAA76Og

• Advertisement

Nope,as i said there isnt much room.Before it was stuck the turn i could get was very minimal and now that its stuck the turn isnt enough to break it free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

You could try and use an 'easy out' bit.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=easy+outs&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SFUwUaCCIfCZ0QXOroHABA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=719
    It will probably damage the grub screw, but from the pic the grub screw is already damaged anyway.

I personally would try heating up the area withe a hairdryer or a heat gun (low setting) and try the easy out.:)

i cant seem to find bits small enough to fit in above the screw,also the extractor bit will have to be very slowly hand turned

I got a cheap set in aldi or lidl, can't remember which.

To be honest I have had good luck using torx drive bits too remove stubborn grub screws.
    I gently tap the closest size too fit tightly in and then turn slowly.

I would try to persuade it out first before drilling.

If you have to go down the drilling route, it is best to actually drill the grub screw itself out rather than the receiver.

thats what my original plan was,either a torx bit or a decent flat bit,its just the lack of room means I cant get down on top of the screw.Maybe if i stare at it abit more it will just fall out

• Advertisement

I'm sorry I'm all out of suggestions:o

Rooky1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm all out of suggestions:o
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

damagegt wrote: »
    i cant seem to find bits small enough to fit in above the screw,also the extractor bit will have to be very slowly hand turned

These should be small enough: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Micro-Drill-Out-for-Damaged-Screw-Extractor-Grabit-/190277885998?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item2c4d72202e and I've got a set for you to try first :)

Are you near Waterford or Dublin by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Cut about 10mm maybe more off the small arm part of a allen key! Worth a punt!

Cut about 10mm maybe more off the small arm part of a allen key! Worth a punt!
    tried this one with no success

tried this one with no success

What a balls, well logically thinking here that screw had to have got in some how so it has to come out (I'm actually annoyed for you :D) is their any vids up on youtube? or maybe a different forum with some info, maybe even email em!.

Can that metal part that is over the two be removed by any means?, it does not make sense to place something that is that awkward to remove even from a a manufacturing point of view of assembly, and it's not some sort of anti tamper.

What a balls, well logically thinking here that screw had to have got in some how so it has to come out (I'm actually annoyed for you :D) is their any vids up on youtube? or maybe a different forum with some info, maybe even email em!.

Can that metal part that is over the two be removed by any means?, it does not make sense to place something that is that awkward to remove even from a a manufacturing point of view of assembly, and it's not some sort of anti tamper.
    I had to abandon ship on this for the evening as I was playing tonight.Theres nothing online about it and RS was my first port of call as any problem Iv had before they have been top notch on what to do but they havent gotten back to me as of yet.
    About taking off the post,I think this is possible as Iv seen real steal replacements but Im not sure how.I can see a pin you knock out but im not sure if there is more to it.The staring continues with out change.

I had to abandon ship on this for the evening as I was playing tonight.Theres nothing online about it and RS was my first port of call as any problem Iv had before they have been top notch on what to do but they havent gotten back to me as of yet.
    About taking off the post,I think this is possible as Iv seen real steal replacements but Im not sure how.I can see a pin you knock out but im not sure if there is more to it.The staring continues with out change.

Could you take a pic of that, if it's not too much trouble?.

I found a Disassembly guide for the RS Type 56 and there is no mention of a knock out pin being removed so scrub that I'd say, all it mentions is to remove the two screw with a 3/32 allen key.

Like Rooky am fresh out of ideas.

I found that same guide myself but it didn't show enough detail with regard to that being removed.
    I assume there must be a pin and possibly another grub screw holding it in place, but it is hard to say without seeing clearer pics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement