Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off in the house

• 27-02-2013 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Who takes their shoes off in the home?

Do you take you shoes off in your home? 377 votes

Yes I do, couldn't imagine it any other way
    0%
    tongue firmly in cheek 1 vote
    No I don't, feet are disgusting
    56%
    Lex_DiamondsPuckmike65Kintarō HattoriCrashtony 2 tonejoolsveerneGevBeruthielLa_GordyuchSkerriesrainbow kirbyskywalkerDiddy KongqwertzgivethtoxofAglomeradoViper_JB 213 votes
    Yes I do, and I expect my house guests to do so also
    43%
    SimibyteNeVeRgenieBlistermanHoPpiEPsychedelicceltic_ozhardCopyAntiRipMatthewVIImarkfinnspoofilyjspatchcoDacelonid[Deleted User][Deleted User]funk-youdeisedevilmelekalikimaka 163 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Seanieke wrote: »

Most people do before they gey into bed. And you...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Pffft, are you mental!?

It feels weird if I don't wear shoes going to bed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thinly veiled I can afford shoes thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Is shoes a euphemism for bra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Yeah, sex with the lights on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

bette wrote: »

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Most people do before they gay into bed. And you...?

"Before they gay into bed"?!? Jaysis you're very forthcoming with that info laddy..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Never wear shoes or underwear at home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Course you take your shoes off. Don't want mud or whatever trailing through the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What do you do OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

As soon as I'm in the door they're off. Likewise when I enter other peoples houses. I don't want to put them in the situation of having to ask me to take them off.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

As soon as I'm in the door they're off. Likewise when I enter other peoples houses. I don't want to put them in the situation of having to ask me to take them off.....

Well that's just weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Man,

What if someone comes into your house, plonks off the shoes and there is a rancid smell of cheese feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

full_irish wrote: »
    "Before they gay into bed"?!? Jaysis you're very forthcoming with that info laddy..

Maybe a Freudian Slip my cock up the ass?

Wonder if people find this weird? Edit: Liz haz spoken! :pac:

To me it feels like someone is getting too comfortable in your home. Maybe that's just me. Also,what if your guests feet smell?? Sometimes it's probably better keeping the shoes on. Fuk the carpet/flooring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Leave the shoes on usually.

LizT wrote: »
    Well that's just weird.

Luckily I wear Pennys finest novely socks so it's always a conversation starter if nothing else

Larianne wrote: »
    what if your guests feet smell??

Do people not wash their feet every day??? And if you HAVE smelly feet you shouldn't be out in public, you should be at home in your cave......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Who here has the propensity to stomp shìt into peoples houses?

Realize. And stay off the grass verges, footpaths are there for a reason

Do people not wash their feet every day??? And if you HAVE smelly feet you shouldn't be out in public, you should be at home in your cave......

Apparently so!

My friend's brother fires his socks out the window when his girlfriend is over as they smell so bad! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Damn those choices. I don't hate feet but I don't take my runners/boots off unless I'm putting my (socked) feet up on the furniture.

Ahhhh sheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiitt, thats weird.

I can imagine the awkward look on the other persons face, what if they were discreetly trying to get rid of you fairly fast and then they see the shoes popping off.

Next you will be having a poo in their fancy toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Shoes on. Gets my hackles up big time when I go to someones house and they demand I take my shoes off cos they have just got new white/cream carpet. At least do the courtesy of letting me know before I visit.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Shoes on. Gets my hackles up big time when I go to someones house and they demand I take my shoes off cos they have just got new white/cream carpet. At least do the courtesy of letting me know before I visit.

Take a protest dump in the corner and blame the foxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

In Ireland I'd still be offended if someone asked me to take my shoes off inside. Or write them off for being up their own hole. But in foreign, I'm totally fine wi it and would take em off and even wear the communal slipper, happily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Come on! Did ya really need a poll for this thread? I can understand a poll for I don't know, maybe abortion... but FFS SHOES!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Setting aside situations where its cultural or ive just been swimming in the slurry tank, if some precious prick asked me to take my gutties (i dont wear shoes) off in their house id leave.
    However, the poll was too loaded (i like feet) so i couldnt vote

nocoverart wrote: »
    Come on! Did ya really need a poll for this thread? I can understand a poll for I don't know, maybe abortion... but FFS SHOES!
    The Pole's there to be used!! You could always start a pole to see if I needed a pole....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The Pole's there to be used!! You could always start a pole to see if I needed a pole....
    Are you going to dance around any of these poles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Quite normal in the Czech Republic to take off your shoes on entering someones home; you often will be given slippers to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I do but despite two different positive options on the poll neither fits. I think it's a good idea, keeps the place clean and such like, but will often forgo this rule if guests who would think it strange are visiting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Wood flooring in my gaff so naaah. Unless mucky.

Can we have a 'no, too much effort' option please.

You have to bend down, undo the laces, pull your feet out, bend down again to pick them up, choose a place to put them, walk there, bend down YET AGAIN to put them down.
    Then you have to do something like the above in reverse just to get them back on your feet again. ffs. Thats well mental innit bruv.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Larianne wrote: »
    Apparently so!

My friend's brother fires his socks out the window when his girlfriend is over as they smell so bad! :pac:

That's disgusting!

I've been friends with a few Swedish people for whom it appears to be the norm not to wear shoes in the house and they infected me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I do sometimes, no poll option for that :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My pipe and slippers are always waiting for me in the hatroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

Let them wear shoes

Is shoes a euphemism for bra?

That very classily gets yanked down a sleeve as soon as the shoes are kicked off.

Then, and only then, can the relaxing commence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I booked a fancy enough B+B once in North County Dublin, got to the front door, woman of the house literally rushed the door to block us and started blabbin about taking our shoes off.

Her face was priceless as we turned and walked back to the car. Stayed in the Airport Radisson and had my shoes up on the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't know how people can keep this as a policy in their house... surely you've asked someone to take their shoes off and regretted it for the next hour.
    "Oh, (retch) let me show you the garden..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I wear sock slippers at home, cosy as fook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I take my shoes off at home. Don't expect my guests to take off their shoes when they call. Never take off my shoes (or clothes) in other people's houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Live in Japan so take them off always. There's a special section just inside the door of every house/apartment where they are to be taken off and put on.

Many companies have a shoes off policy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I never wear shoes or socks at home. I'd always leave my shoes on in someone else's home though, unless they asked me to take them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

MadsL wrote: »
    Quite normal in the Czech Republic to take off your shoes on entering someones home; you often will be given in to wear.
    same in Slovakia.its I quoting to your host to wear shoes in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

There's a difference in enjoying the comfort of not wearing shoes in your home and having a 'rule' about it. I think it would be the height of ignorance to ask visitors to your home to remove their shoes. Obvious exceptions would be if the kids had been out playing in in a muddy garden etc

BTW, I have cream/beige carpets in the house and a very decent Vax machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't understand how it is 'the height of ignorance' to ask someone to take off their shoes in your house. It's a bit ignorant to visit someone's home and refuse to do so if asked in my opinion.

I dont wear shoes at home, Mainly because I have a toddler who eats things off the floor so at least they are slightly cleaner than if dirty shoes were being walked all over the place. I don't ask people to take theirs off though just because I know some people are weird about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Shoes off. I just don't feel comfortable until they're off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Shoes off feet on the coffee table and hands down the underpants Al Bundy style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hate being asked to take my shoes off on someone else's house. My shoes are probably cleaner than your cold floor which i now have to stand on in my tights! I don't think it's cleaner at all and i hate no shoes fanatics wriggling their socks at me in my house. I have one friend who thinks it's fine to put his feet up on the table because he has 'no shoes on'. His horrible sweaty feet!! Disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I also hate being asked to take my shoes off going into someones house. I have a cream/beige carpet in my hall and I'd never ask people. If they leave dirt, hoover it up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement