Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off in the house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It's quite a common thing to do in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No, I like keeping me shoes on since I go outside for smokes and it keeps my feet warm.

Plus I don't stink the house out, I guess :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Yes I do, and I expect my house guests to do so also
    I'm with Larry David on this. People who insist on you taking your shoes off are mentalists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A czech guy moved into my house during college. When some of his friends came over to visit, I found them taking pictures of themselves wearing shoes in the sitting room. As in, sitting on the couch, one foot in the air (showing their shoe), thumbs up and smiley faces. Very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

If someone asks me to take of my shoes, I do.

But I also take off my socks and trousers, and hand them to my host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It's an absolute must here in Korea. Even when calling around to Irish friends' apartments, none of us would dream of going in with our shoes on.

Just the way it is and it makes perfect sense. When you think about where our shoes have been you realize the importance of it.

For example, men's public toilets usually have piss on the floor around the urinals. Stepping on that and then going in to an apartment is a vile image.

When I move home I won't wear shoes in the house and I'll suggest to my friends to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I wear converse most of the time, loosely laced so easy to slip on and off.
    I wear them around the house, take them off to get into bed.

My friends come over and the first thing they do is take off their shoes ...and then their bras. If they have jeans on they ask for pj bottoms or tracksuit bottoms to wear.

Why can I keep my shoes, jeans and underwear on but they find it so difficult?!

I have no rule on it, I would usually have shoes on when going around the house, doing stuff in the kitchen etc but would throw them off then when relaxing in front of the tv etc.

I would never take my shoes off in someone else's house unless asked, I'd consider it rude to walk around in socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Saw a wildlife show of this rat worshipping temple in India, wouldn't be too keen about fluting around in my bare feet stepping on rat sh*te everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

No I don't, feet are disgusting
    I don't understand people who can happily sit around on the couch all evening still wearing shoes. I can't relax until I've taken my shoes off.

Having said that, I wouldn't ask people to take them off. Although the neighbours complain if we walk around in high heels on the wooden floors :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Slovaks both at home and in Ireland have slippers for their visitors.
    Its the height of ignorance to walk around someones clean house with street shoes.
    People will also use shoe covers when visiting hospital or dentist.
    If an office is carpeted they will even wear indoor shoes when in work and change going home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Chun Li

shoes off.

We've had snow for months. Nobody would even think about bringing their outdoor shoes through the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Living in Canada bet this custom into me! No shoes in your house or any house you visit.

It needs to be a custom here too. I cringe when visitors were shoes in my house. I'm gonna start supplying slippers or something for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Its grand to ask people to take their shoes off if you house is clean and warm and there are no spillages or the like. Otherwise you're putting people in an awkward position. Also you should have optional slippers for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I live in a student house. If I went around in my socks I'd probably need a tetanus shot.

Instead I have a cosy pair of slippers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

I like them off my feet as soon as I enter my house. Would definitely ask the host if going to someone else's place to whats alright with them- on or off.
    you might have accidently stepped on a caterpillar or ant or where someone might have spit, you dont know what was there before where you stepped. Yuck to bring all of this **** little things onto your own places floor. with wooden floor, BANG BANG- think about peace of mind for holy sake. slip into your slippers that you wear just inside your house and feel the comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm the only one in the house that only wears slippers or socks around the house as it is more comfortable, also I usually change into trackie bottoms as well

I wouldn't like to be asked to take my shoes off in someone elses house as it isn't the norm here

I don't see why people have such a big problem with shoes in the house, once you are not dragging around muck etc its not like you are going to be touching the floor or eating your dinner of it.

I couldn't live with someone with extreme house rules like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Man,

What if someone comes into your house, plonks off the shoes and there is a rancid smell of cheese feet?

Time to open the crackers! NOM :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I take mine off when I want the Sitting room to myself for a match

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Shoes on, taking shoes off feels too domesticating, I also feel weaker physically without my shoes, they're a part of me, I get cold and lethargic without them. It's also a pain in the ass taking them off and putting them back on again, especially if you just want to be somewhere, then it's like oh no you cant leave yet you have to put on your shoes first and I'm like fck this! I just want to get going now!!! arrrghhh shoe laces. Or even coming in from a snow blizzard, the last thing I want to do is take off my shoes, no instead I get some food and chill out on the couch watching tv. I think it's the product of the nefarious influence of domestication.

Shoes on, taking shoes off feels too domesticating, I also feel weaker physically without my shoes, they're a part of me, I get cold and lethargic without them. It's also a pain in the ass taking them off and putting them back on again, especially if you just want to be somewhere, then it's like oh no you cant leave yet you have to put on your shoes first and I'm like fck this! I just want to get going now!!! arrrghhh shoe laces. Or even coming in from a snow blizzard, the last thing I want to do is take off my shoes, no instead I get some food and chill out on the couch watching tv. I think it's the product of the nefarious influence of domestication.

You're dragging snow and slush into the house though!!

Takes more time to clean the floors everyday than it does to take on and off your shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

We are talking about in houses, of course its a domestic issue!?
    Go live in a barn if you want to act like an animal.

You're dragging snow and slush into the house though!!

Takes more time to clean the floors everyday than it does to take on and off your shoes.

I knock it off briefly before I come in if I have to.

Shoes are still wet though!

I'm having nightmare images about your floors. I'm not able.

enda1 wrote: »
    We are talking about in houses, of course its a domestic issue!?
    Go live in a barn if you want to act like an animal.

Not really, domesticity is a discourse about refinement but sometimes you can have over-refinement, it's not a black and white choice as you would have it between the barnyard and the home.

Only a little bit, my floors are pretty clean and dry, I wouldn't eat anything off them though.

You have heard of mats?

So you come in from a blizzard and wipe all angles of the snow boots on the mat till all the snow is melted and the boots are dry.

Now I just have images of elastic feet on a mat.

I've lived in North America, in two locations with snowy weather and never came across anyone who would wear snow boots inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Slippers in the house (and in the back garden if its summer!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

People who wear shoes in the house have dirty floors. Nobody wears shoes in my house. When I call to someone's house I always offer to take my shoes off. Their house their rules.
    I keep a few pairs of crocs to offer tradesmen who come to do occasional repairs. That way they can slip these on if they need to go back out to the van for tools or whatever. Same for smokers.

So you come in from a blizzard and wipe all angles of the snow boots on the mat till all the snow is melted and the boots are dry.

Now I just have images of elastic feet on a mat.

I've lived in North America, in two locations with snowy weather and never came across anyone who would wear snow boots inside.

Sorry I wasn't talking about extreme conditions, Im talking about normal day to day condition's in Ireland.

I wouldn't wear my working boots or wellingtons from the farm in around the house, I'd change in the shed but I would change into my normal outdoor shoes/runners which I would wear around the house or sometimes I would just throw them off when I get in, no strict rule on it. As I said in general I'd leave on shoes until sitting down, then thrown them off for relaxing in the armchair, though sometimes I would leave them on even sitting down relaxing.
    Auldloon wrote: »
    People who wear shoes in the house have dirty floors. Nobody wears shoes in my house. When I call to someone's house I always offer to take my shoes off. Their house their rules.
    I keep a few pairs of crocs to offer tradesmen who come to do occasional repairs. That way they can slip these on if they need to go back out to the van for tools or whatever. Same for smokers.

I dont think I've ever come across a house where I was told to take of my shoes be it family or friends most people just do their own thing, leave them on if they want or take them off if they want.

Also tradesmen should be wearing proper boots when working, I wouldn't put on crocks if I was doing work in your house and if you forced me to and I dropped something on my toe you would be paying my medical bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I dont think I've ever come across a house where I was told to take of my shoes be it family or friends most people just do their own thing, leave them on if they want or take them off if they want.

Also tradesmen should be wearing proper boots when working, I wouldn't put on crocks if I was doing work in your house and if you forced me to and I dropped something on my toe you would be paying my medical bills.

I don't tell I ask nicely. The crocs are for If they have to go back outside.
    I take your point about safety and if it was a big job then I guess I wouldn't say anything. It's not really come up. Only needed a plumber in a few times to service the gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm usually barefoot at home just because i like it - i think it's quite odd to expect, or to tell others to do it though.
    Unless you've been running round fields, shoes aren't usually all that dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I live in a house with Slovakians. We ask nearly everyone to take their shoes off in the house. I feel dirty in anyone else's house that doesn't have that policy now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm honestly shocked at some of the responses here. Had no idea it was in any way prevalent outside of cracked, auld wans. Even with that, I can't remember ever being asked to take off my shoes.

Do ye have plastic on the couches too?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Here, we do not wear shoes indoors. Shoes are outdoors clothing. All our guests and visitors leave their shoes in the porch. The first thing you see when you enter my house is the shoe rack...and messy people's shoes on the hall floor :)
    In a quarter of a century of running my own home i have not met fetid feet...People are cleaner than we give them credit for :)

I cannot understand people who find it offensive to be asked to take off your shoes. It is the custom in very many parts of the world. Totally reasonable and natural and essentially hygenic. In Germany, where it is not the custom, i know home help workers are supplied with plastic over shoes (like shower caps) because it is considered offensive to track your yuck into your client's homes..

And yes, there is yuck out there...there is dog poos, cat poo, snail vomit, dead birds, lizard hack, ignoramus spit, incontinent's wee, runner's snot, fox dribble, disco dancer's barf, spoiled food, gum grease, oil, fag butts, horse dung, cow pats, road kill innards, and so on and on and on ;)...and if it is not visible it is just because it has been reduced molecularly so that it appears to have vanished...but it's still there...Oh yes! it's still there...

(Ateing the dinner, were ya? :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never did it as a kid, but got used to it when we bought our own place. Feels weird and dirty now walking through the house with shoes on, and half the time when I do, I end up leaving bits of dirt everywhere. At least you know your socks are clean.

Problem with shoes is that if you even half-step in a bit of muck, this gets embedded in the tread of the shoe and doesn't come off when you wipe them outside the door, instead choosing to wipe/fall off on the carpet. There's also no such thing as a doormat which dries your shoes, so no matter how clean you think your shoes are, if you come in from the rain you'll drag wet everywhere.

I don't insist that people remove their shoes, but loads of people do when they see me doing it and I don't stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I've been asked to remove my shoes on entering other people's houses and promptly turned around and walked back out the door and left.

I wear slippers at home but anyone who calls is welcome as they are-footwear-wise that is:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Stheno wrote: »
    Never wear shoes or underwear at home :)

think unsexy thoughts..

think unsexy thoughts...

think unsexy thoughts....

think unsexy thoughts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I don't understand how it is 'the height of ignorance' to ask someone to take off their shoes in your house. It's a bit ignorant to visit someone's home and refuse to do so if asked in my opinion.
    Because (IMO), shoes are part of the normal clothing that the majority of us wear as we go about our business for the day. If a person doesn't automatically take off their shoes when they enter your house, it means they are more comfortable with them on. If you are insisting they go against this, I think you are being a bad host. How much dirt can a normal pair of shoes bring in to your house anyway? Would you not be as concerned with sweaty socks leaving stuff behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Auldloon wrote: »

Are you my neighbour? She makes her partner take off his shoes before entering the house.

You do know that Crocs are not suitable PPE for tradesmen.If one of them dropped something on his foot while working at your place and was wearing crocs, pardon the pun: he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I have a mat inside the door,wipe your feet on the way in & job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    I've been asked to remove my shoes on entering other people's houses and promptly turned around and walked back out the door and left.

I wear slippers at home but anyone who calls is welcome as they are-footwear-wise that is:pac:

Was that with friends?? can you expand a bit?? Am just being nosy :)

zerks wrote: »

You do know that Crocs are not suitable PPE for tradesmen.If one of them dropped something on his foot while working at your place and was wearing crocs, pardon the pun: he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I don't wear shoes in my house, take them off in the downstairs jax, but I don't force visitors / tradesmen to do the same.

Crocs are feckin' horrible as well, I wouldn't inflict those on anyone, no matter how hung up about my floors I get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

ronjo wrote: »
    Was that with friends?? can you expand a bit?? Am just being nosy :)

No need to be nosy,I'll tell you:D
    Both friends and unknowns. I call to them as a courtesy, and the first thing they'll do is throw that courtesy back in your face!!!It's the proverbial steering wheel down my pants.....it drives me nuts:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

oldyouth wrote: »
    . How much dirt can a normal pair of shoes bring in to your house anyway? ?

As I previously said....

dog poos, cat poo, snail vomit, dead birds, lizard hack, ignoramus spit, incontinent's wee, runner's snot, fox dribble, disco dancer's barf, spoiled food, gum grease, oil, fag butts, horse dung, cow pats, road kill innards, and so on and on and on .....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I always wear my shoes to bed in case I have to run somewhere very fast in my dreams.

As I previously said....

dog poos, cat poo, snail vomit, dead birds, lizard hack, ignoramus spit, incontinent's wee, runner's snot, fox dribble, disco dancer's barf, spoiled food, gum grease, oil, fag butts, horse dung, cow pats, road kill innards, and so on and on and on .....................

Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatever about the cleanliness sitting around while wearing shoes (unless they are really old leather) is plain uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

To those who say that they would ask me to take my shoes off if I want to go into their house - what about my dog. If I go into your house, my dog is going with me. Are you OK with my dog going into your house?

• Advertisement
Advertisement