Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off in the house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yes I do, and I expect my house guests to do so also
    As I previously said....

dog poos, cat poo, snail vomit, dead birds, lizard hack, ignoramus spit, incontinent's wee, runner's snot, fox dribble, disco dancer's barf, spoiled food, gum grease, oil, fag butts, horse dung, cow pats, road kill innards, and so on and on and on .....................
    Classy neighbourhood there Autonomous :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

P.C. wrote: »
    To those who say that they would ask me to take my shoes off if I want to go into their house - what about my dog. If I go into your house, my dog is going with me. Are you OK with my dog going into your house?
    The dog's paws would be cleaner than your shoes. Just sayin like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

To those who say that they would ask me to take my shoes off if I want to go into their house - what about my dog. If I go into your house, my dog is going with me. Are you OK with my dog going into your house?

I wouldn't care about your shoes, but your dog can feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

No I don't, feet are disgusting
    Man,

What if someone comes into your house, plonks off the shoes and there is a rancid smell of cheese feet?

changes your friends so , no one i know or would invite into my house has cheese feet

its ignorant NOT to at least offer to remove footwear when going into someones house , its the norm on the continent , and for good reason

this topic has been done a million times over
    it will end with one side accusing the other of having OCD and being up their own hole

but reality is , i dont like spit, dog **** and other crap from out side walking into my house where my kids who spend all day on the floor could pick it up and eat it , as toddlers do

i dont know about the rest of the country but arklow and Dublin city center are covered in dog **** - and not just dogs either :mad:

dont care what others do - but my house its shoes off or **** off - simple

dj jarvis wrote: »
    changes your friends so , no one i know or would invite into my house has cheese feet

its ignorant NOT to at least offer to remove footwear when going into someones house , its the norm on the continent , and for good reason

this topic has been done a million times over
    it will end with one side accusing the other of having OCD and being up their own hole

but reality is , i dont like spit, dog **** and other crap from out side walking into my house where my kids who spend all day on the floor could pick it up and eat it , as toddlers do

i dont know about the rest of the country but arklow and Dublin city center are covered in dog **** - and not just dogs either :mad:

dont care what others do - but my house its shoes off or **** off - simple

Its not ignorant as in reality nobody expects it. I have yet to have been in a house with a silly rule like this in my 28 years.

It is totally over the top to expect people to remove their shoes (once worn in normal conditions not waking through muck, snow etc). As someone siad earlier shoes are part of normal attire and should be treated as such by people.

Provide a mat for people to wipe their feet and cop on to yourself. A few germs are only good for your toddlers too, build up their immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its not ignorant as in reality nobody expects it. I have yet to have been in a house with a silly rule like this in my 28 years.

It is totally over the top to expect people to remove their shoes (once worn in normal conditions not waking through muck, snow etc). As someone siad earlier shoes are part of normal attire and should be treated as such by people.

Provide a mat for people to wipe their feet and cop on to yourself. A few germs are only good for your toddlers too, build up their immune system.

Have you travelled much as a matter of interest?
    I mean to peoples houses outside of Ireland.
    I have encountered it many times outside of the country but certainly not so much in Ireland.

my house , my rules , even if you think its silly , you are , according to the poll in the minority - and as i said for good reason

mats do not remove all the crap from shoes - if you happen to walk in dog **** it will still be on them , if your happy with **** being walked onto your floors then good on ya - as for child immune system

are you mad ? they can get seriously ill from coming into contact with dog/cat/human crap , so you cop yourself on , and actually learn the facts of what you are talking about

and if it is so over the top why do 99% of "civilized" nations do this ?
    so they are all wrong and you and your **** covered house are right

yea , i wonder

the figures speak volumes , maybe you just live like a pig ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

my house , my rules , even if you think its silly , you are , according to the poll in the minority - and as i said for good reason

mats do not remove all the crap from shoes - if you happen to walk in dog **** it will still be on them , if your happy with **** being walked onto your floors then good on ya - as for child immune system

are you mad ? they can get seriously ill from coming into contact with dog/cat/human crap , so you cop yourself on , and actually learn the facts of what you are talking about

yea , i wonder

People who ask you to remove your shoes before entering the house are anal......yes I said anal

• I went to stay with friends in England a few months ago. I arrived late at night, wrecked and forgot to take my shoes off when I went in. The guy said nothing and I thought nothing of it. Went upstairs, went to bed, got up the next morning, shoes and all and went downstairs. While I was using the bathroom, I could hear the wife giving out about me not having taken my shoes off, asking did I not see all their shoes lined up by the door. Well, I was pretty bloody wrecked when I got there, just didn't think about it, and I also keep all my shoes by the door - doesn't mean I don't ever wear shoes in the house.

So, yes, people do expect it. She made me feel like a total knacker for wearing shoes in her house. To be honest, I'd nearly always offer to take them off. This was the one time I forgot.

ronjo wrote: »
    Have you travelled much as a matter of interest?
    I mean to peoples houses outside of Ireland.
    I have encountered it many times outside of the country but certainly not so much in Ireland.

Various different homes in the UK, a few family friends homes in New York, cousins and family friends homes in Canada and haven't encountered it. I had requests like not wearing them in a particular room, usually the good front room on a few very rare occasions but kitchen, hall, bathroom etc has been fair game even in these houses.

yea , i wonder

The figure in the poll you should focus on is the one that has the smallest vote which is the one requesting house guests to remove their shoes.

I sometimes take off my shoes but its a matter of comfort, other times I would leave my shoes on all evening around the house it just depends. This is how we do it at home in my home place too, once you arent dragging in muck no one cars.

Also if I walk in dog s**te I'm not going to walk in around the house but I watch where I'm going so could count on one hand how many times I've walked in it over the years and would take my shoes off at the door and clean them before walking around in them. I know cat and dog dirt is harmful to children but I'd like to think people have enough cop on not to drag dirt in with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus, what's this rabid opposition to removing your bloody shoes? Do you not wash your feet or do you have holey socks or something?

Various different homes in the UK, a few family friends homes in New York, cousins and family friends homes in Canada and haven't encountered it.

I havent have been in houses North America but I have lived in quite a few countries in Europe and its always the case there.

Honestly, it would be considered extremely rude in Central Europe to walk into a persons home in your shoes

Various different homes in the UK, a few family friends homes in New York, cousins and family friends homes in Canada.

The figure in the poll you should focus on is the one that has the smallest vote which is the one requesting house guests to remove their shoes.

I sometimes take off my shoes but its a matter of comfort, other times I would leave my shoes on all evening around the house it just depends. This is how we do it at home in my home place too, once you arent dragging in muck no one cars.

Also if I walk in dog s**te I'm not going to walk in around the house but I watch where I'm going so could count on one hand how many times I've walked in it over the years and would take my shoes off at the door and clean them before walking around in them. I know cat and dog dirt is harmful to children but I'd like to think people have enough cop on not to drag dirt in with them.

so you have ALWAYS noticed when you have stepped into something from the street ? or every person who enters your house has noticed and removed it??

its simple , most people i know in Ireland and ALL houses i have been in on mainland europe and canada have a no shoes rule , and for a good reason

if you dont do it then that's your business - but the majority do

it would be seen as a insult NOT to remove footwear entering most European houses , and you would be asked to remove them quick enough
    if you go abroad , most if not all houses have a area in the hall for removing and storing shoes before you go into the main areas

its just the done thing to remove them
    so next time you are abroad i presume you will tell the owner to cop on , and also tell them that eating crap from the street is good for their kids
    you see what reaction you get

and for the poster who said that it was anal to ask people to remove their shoes - well buddy , it may seem anal , but it not as cave man muck savage no to remove them

I havent have been in houses North America but I have lived in quite a few countries in Europe and its always the case there.

Honestly, it would be considered extremely rude in Central Europe to walk into a persons home in your shoes

What about a person calling to someone house late in the evening after being on your feet all day and you know your socks are sweaty, cant result in a pleasant experience for either the person expected to remove their shoes as they will be self conscious or the other people in the house. Especially in warmer country than Ireland.

What about a person calling to someone house late in the evening after being on your feet all day and you know your socks are sweaty, cant result in a pleasant experience for either the person expected to remove their shoes as they will be self conscious or the other people in the house. Especially in warmer country than Ireland.

To be honest I am sure the shoes would be off.
    I have never encountered (well noticed) that scenario though in 12 years.

but in reality , if you shower everyday , have clean socks and shoes , your feet tend not to stink , no matter how long you have been in them

its different if its a scabby old pair of shoes , and i could see how some people get caught out , but as my friends who have called to my house have said this very thing before they come in , they have pointed out that they have been working all day and would prefer to keep there shoes on , well then no problem , as i know they would have checked there shoes anyway

its down to respect for the house owner , its just bad manners not to ask , and if asked if you cant remove them , then let the person know

just walking away is ignorance

i wonder would the reaction be the same with a smoker ?
    if you did not smoke but a person called and insisted to be allowed to smoke, and if you did not want it, you are called anal and told to cop on?

if peopple dont like the house rules , then dont go there , problem solved

so you have ALWAYS noticed when you have stepped into something from the street ? or every person who enters your house has noticed and removed it??

Yes I always notice and its only rarely someone brings in any dirt on their feet and if they do clean it up, big deal.
    its simple , most people i know in Ireland and ALL houses i have been in on mainland europe and canada have a no shoes rule , and for a good reason

It's simply nonsense to suggest that the majority of houses in Ireland have a no shoes rule, I've been in 100's and never encountered it, if its so common surely I would have.
    and for the poster who said that it was anal to ask people to remove their shoes - well buddy , it may seem anal , but it not as cave man muck savage no to remove them

Its a cave man muck savage thing not wear your shoes in a house, a normal part of your clothing? God help you if you lived on a farm that's all I will say and had to deal with all that goes with it.

Incidentally do all these houses who dont allow shoes have or allow pets in their homes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

it would be seen as a insult NOT to remove footwear entering most European houses , and you would be asked to remove them quick enough
    if you go abroad , most if not all houses have a area in the hall for removing and storing shoes before you go into the main areas

its just the done thing to remove them
    so next time you are abroad i presume you will tell the owner to cop on , and also tell them that eating crap from the street is good for their kids
    you see what reaction you get

Cavemen did not have shoes so that point is invalid.

I do what I like in my house and when guest call I want to make them feel at home so if they want to leave shoes on then so be it and if they don't well that is cool also.

Next you will want people wearing a mask over their mouth so not to spread jerms oh and of course wear rubber gloves

Yes I always notice and I its only rarely some brings in any dirt on their feet and if they do clean it up, big deal.

It's simply nonsense to suggest that the majority of houses in Ireland have a no shoes rule, I've been in 100's and never encountered it, if its so common surely I would have.

Its a cave man muck savage thing not wear your shoes in a house, a normal part of your clothing? God help you if you lived on a farm that's all I will say and had to deal with all that goes with it.

yea , you ALWAYS notice , well done you , top marks chap

i did not say the majority of Irish houses , read my post , i said the majority of the poll and houses in Europe and Canada

but i don't live in or on a farm , and in fairness most of the farms i have been on they take their wellys off at the door or just inside , in fact any farm i have been to , inside the houses are spotless
    this might be becasue they take there ****ing dirty wellys off before they enter their home :rolleyes:

as for normal part of clothing - you dont rub your jacket or trousers off the ground all day , people dont spit or **** on your clothes , and if they did , you would remove them quick enough i take it

not debating this any further - each to their own
    just dont appreciate being told to cop on and being accused of being anal becasue i take my shoes off , like the majority of civilized people

• Advertisement

but i don't live in or on a farm , and in fairness most of the farms i have been on they take their wellys off at the door or just inside , in fact any farm i have been to , inside the houses are spotless
    this might be becasue they take there ****ing dirty wellys off before they enter their home :rolleyes:

Of course I'd take of my wellingtons entering the house, as they have been worn in the fields, I wouldnt take the shoes off I was wearing walking around footpaths though.

The reference to farm was more to do with the fact you would have to get used to being up to your neck in sh*t and having it all over you, not that it would be dirty in the house.

The reference to farm was more to do with the fact you would have to get used to being up to your neck in sh*t and having it all over you

Aha !! The real reason you dont do it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

It needs to be a custom here too. I cringe when visitors were shoes in my house. I'm gonna start supplying slippers or something for them.

I always feel the same when I have visitors dragging their mucky footwear around my floor! But at the same time I would feel like a bit of a knob telling people to remove their shoes before coming in. If I'm bringing a friend into the house I usually make a point of wiping my shoes on the mat and hope they do the same. My house has this marble effect lino all over it and it's a nightmare to keep clean. As soon as I walk in the door I put on my crocs or slipper socks.

Of course I'd take of my wellingtons entering the house, as they have been worn in the fields, I wouldnt take the shoes off I was wearing walking around footpaths though.

The reference to farm was more to do with the fact you would have to get used to being up to your neck in sh*t and having it all over you, not that it would be dirty in the house.

ok ,maybe see the difference in opinion here, you are working in a rural setting , and although you deal with " **** and muck" all the time ,
    its not the same as city and urban footpaths and playing fields that are ( and im not exaggerating here ) COVERED in dog **** , really , where i live is covered in the stuff , so maybe you are just not coming across what i do , especially with the kids

i have no problem with "dirt" - sure my kids do be rolling around in the back garden all day , they look like they have come back from flanders
    its carnivore **** that is the problem , be it animal or human
    FFS , i was walking to work one day , and this yoke of a woman was squatted down in the middle of the foot path at 9am having a crap :eek:

again , its not being anal , but i have on more than one occasion not noticed dog **** on the childs pram , wheeled it into the house , and left feckin track marks into the house !!!!
    and i look out for it - so my thought process is not so mad ,

is it not just easier to remove the shoes ?
    also i have lived and worked in Europe for years , so it comes naturally to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm happy to respect other people's choice to take shoes off in their house, but I don't see the point of it in my house where there's dogs and cats in an out.

If people want to think it's dirty then let them. I'm perfectly happy not to waste my time worrying about such trivial nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Do none of you have a doormat and/or a hall mat?

• Advertisement

Personally I think you are rude and presumptious to expect people who live in a country where it is absolutely not common practice to offer, instead of simply politely asking them yourself. Different if it was a European country with an established custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

It's ignorant to presume that it should be the norm here just because it is on the continent.

I would feel embarrassed asking people to take their shoes off, it could be very uncomfortable in many ways for some people.

Personally I think you are rude and presumptious to expect people who live in a country where it is absolutely not common practice to offer, instead of simply politely asking them yourself. Different if it was a European country with an established custom.

It is quite funny that one thing is considered rude in Ireland (and other countries???) while the complete opposite is considered rude in Continental Europe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ok ,maybe see the difference in opinion here, you are working in a rural setting , and although you deal with " **** and muck" all the time ,
    its not the same as city and urban footpaths and playing fields that are ( and im not exaggerating here ) COVERED in dog **** , really , where i live is covered in the stuff , so maybe you are just not coming across what i do , especially with the kids

i have no problem with "dirt" - sure my kids do be rolling around in the back garden all day , they look like they have come back from flanders
    its carnivore **** that is the problem , be it animal or human
    FFS , i was walking to work one day , and this yoke of a woman was squatted down in the middle of the foot path at 9am having a crap :eek:

again , its not being anal , but i have on more than one occasion not noticed dog **** on the childs pram , wheeled it into the house , and left feckin track marks into the house !!!!
    and i look out for it - so my thought process is not so mad ,

is it not just easier to remove the shoes ?
    also i have lived and worked in Europe for years , so it comes naturally to me

I think you are exaggerating, either that or you should move. I've lived in urban areas all my life and I wouldn't describe any of them as being covered in shít or even close to it. You do see it every now and then but the way you are going on it must be on every footpath and every corner. I've never seen a person take a shít on a footpath either. Maybe, this shít epidemic is just in the area you live.

I'd only take off my shoes in someone else's house if they asked me to. If I seen them taking their shoes off (if we were walking into the house together) I might do it myself or ask them if they want me to take them off, I wouldn't normally ask otherwise. In my experience it's quite rare for people to take their shoes off for cleanliness here (some would do it for comfort). I think considering it rude to not ask the person if they want you to remove your shoes is a bit daft based on my experience.

It is quite funny that one thing is considered rude in Ireland (and other countries???) while the complete opposite is considered rude in Continental Europe.

No different than belching being considered rude in one country and complimentary in another, or giving a thumbs up being considered encouraging in one place and offensive in another.

That's the nature of customs.

But I don't think it is rude to ask people to take their shoes off in your home, just rude to expect them to offer in a country where it is not a custom.

• Advertisement

No different than belching being considered rude in one country and complimentary in another, or giving a thumbs up being considered encouraging in one place and offensive in another.

That's the nature of customs.

But I don't think it is rude to ask people to take their shoes off in your home, just rude to expect them to offer in a country where it is not a custom.

And I fully agree with your last statement but many people disagree with us and think it is rude to ask people to take their shoes off.

I think you are exaggerating, either that or you should move. I've lived in urban areas all my life and I wouldn't describe any of them as being covered in shít or even close to it. You do see it every now and then but the way you are going on it must be on every footpath and every corner. I've never seen a person take a shít on a footpath either. Maybe, this shít epidemic is just in the area you live.

I'd only take off my shoes in someone else's house if they asked me to. If I seen them taking their shoes off (if we were walking into the house together) I might do it myself or ask them if they want me to take them off, I wouldn't normally ask otherwise. In my experience it's quite rare for people to take their shoes off for cleanliness here (some would do it for comfort). I think considering it rude to not ask the person if they want you to remove your shoes is a bit daft based on my experience.

as i said in my post , where i live and areas close to dublin city ctr , the footpaths are covered in ****

and like i said in my first post , this thread will go the same way as this topic always does - black and white

your rules are your rules , i dont see why my rules make me a outcast

and in fairness , the poll is saying different to you and other posters who are trying to make me look like i have OCD becasue i dont keep my shoes on in my house :rolleyes:

funny , as i said me , most of the people polled and the majority of western europe , nothern america and plenty others im sure dont do it and dont do it for a reason - it un hygienic to do so

but we must all be wrong and some random people on AH MUST be right :rolleyes:

** as for the **** epidemic as you put it , it was the centre of Dún Laoghaire , but if you dont see it happening then it must not be happening , must it !! **

I would take my shoes off if someone asked me to but it's kinda alien to me! I don't think I've been asked very often to remove my shoes. I never took my shoes off at home. My feet get cold! Never lived in a house share where people took their shoes off either. Lived in many where you wouldn't dream of it but that's another story innit :pac: But if I am gonna walk around without shoes, then definitely barefoot. Barefoot I do a lot. Obviously in my own home. I hate walking round in socks. Can't stand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

zerks wrote: »
    Are you my neighbour? She makes her partner take off his shoes before entering the house.
    If you live in ireland I'm not and we don't take our shoes off outside!
    You are never going into my house then.
    Incidentally do all these houses who dont allow shoes have or allow pets in their homes?
    We have 2 cats and a cat flap. The cats aren't allowed wear shoes in the house either. :p

I've been asked to take my shoes off twice. Both times I was happy to respect the wishes of the homeowner. However, both times the soles of my socks were filthy by the time I left.

Auldloon wrote: »
    We have 2 cats and a cat flap. The cats aren't allowed wear shoes in the house either. :p

You see this makes a mockery of the no shoes rule. Cats will be out running around in all sorts and licking their arses and then there paws but are allowed walk around the house yet a person can't walk around in clean shoes.

I wouldn't allow pets in my house but shoes I've no problem with. Well I would let in a dog with its owner but I wouldn't keep a pet in the house myself.

people are taking about culture and that its not a irish one

drink driving is/was a irish culture - does not make it right

if someone arrived to your house from a culture where smoking indoors was acceptable and wanted to , would you automatically let them ? just becasue its the culture where they come from ?

the culture thing is a red herring , people and habits change
    the change in Irish habits over the last 20 years is astronomical
    and i see the shoes in house thing as part of a CHANGING attitude ,
    obviously not everyone does it or sees the point

i can see it being the norm within a decade , we are taking a lot from other cultures , mostly European ones , and anyway what is the down side to doing it ?
    other than some being pig headed and not wanting becasue " well my daddy did not do it "

i just find it hard to get my head around that if you arrived at someones house , as a GUEST , you would not happily comply with their request ,
    its not as if they are asking you to get naked , its a pairs of shoe and its their house

maybe people should just wash their feet more often, and maybe buy some new bloody socks - its not rocket science :confused:

** jesus , that poll is close to being 50/50 - that is some divide for sure , nearly as controversial as the divorce referendum **

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

as i said in my post , where i live and areas close to dublin city ctr , the footpaths are covered in ****

and like i said in my first post , this thread will go the same way as this topic always does - black and white

your rules are your rules , i dont see why my rules make me a outcast

and in fairness , the poll is saying different to you and other posters who are trying to make me look like i have OCD becasue i dont keep my shoes on in my house :rolleyes:

funny , as i said me , most of the people polled and the majority of western europe , nothern america and plenty others im sure dont do it and dont do it for a reason - it un hygienic to do so

but we must all be wrong and some random people on AH MUST be right :rolleyes:

** as for the **** epidemic as you put it , it was the centre of Dún Laoghaire , but if you dont see it happening then it must not be happening , must it !! **

I don't think you have OCD. If you want people to take their shoes off then that's fine. However, only 12% of people in the poll expect guests to take off their shoes so considering it rude that people don't ask is daft since it is quite uncommon. If it was the norm like it is in other countries then I would agree.

I've lived in Drumcondra, while working southside and spending a lot of time in the city centre and never noticed all this shít that was everywhere. I was in the city centre the other day and didn't spot this shít that is everywhere. If you were to walk around an urban area for a few hours how many times would you spot dog shít? Serious question, maybe our definition or usage of everywhere is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've been asked to take my shoes off twice. Both times I was happy to respect the wishes of the homeowner. However, both times the soles of my socks were filthy by the time I left.
    If you're going to insist on people removing their shoes then at least make sure your floor is clean!

i just find it hard to get my head around that if you arrived at someones house , as a GUEST , you would not happily comply with their request ,
    its not as if they are asking you to get naked , its a pairs of shoe and its their house

I think most would gladly comply with the request. The problem is with your attitude that if we don't ask or don't automatically remove them we're being rude. And as for comparing drink driving to wearing shoes indoors, can we keep some perspective here.

• Advertisement

and anyway what is the down side to doing it ?
    other than some being pig headed and not wanting becasue " well my daddy did not do it "

Not everyone who wants you to take your shoes off has clean floors, yet they expect their guests to walk around barefoot while they themselves walk around in indoor shoes.

You yourself said you sometimes end up tracking in dog-shit on the pram and don't always notice it.

Others have animals walking around their floors.

I don't think you have OCD. If you want people to take their shoes off then that's fine. However, only 12% of people in the poll expect guests to take off their shoes so considering it rude that people don't ask is daft since it is quite uncommon. If it was the norm like it is in other countries then I would agree.

I've lived in Drumcondra, while working southside and spending a lot of time in the city centre and never noticed all this shít that was everywhere. I was in the city centre the other day and didn't spot this shít that is everywhere. If you were to walk around an urban area for a few hours how many times would you spot dog shít? Serious question, maybe our definition or usage of everywhere is different.

i do a lot of walking around wicklow parks and forests with the kids , arklow sea front , destroyed with crap , wicklow sea front to the light house and around the harbour , full of it , the devils glen forest , the forest paths have loads on it

it not as if i got looking for it so i can give out , i have better things to do , but having kids you do watch out for it , and trust me , it is there

as for dublin city , north inner city from the four courts up to the ifsc has LOADS of it , i dont know , maybe im just fierce un lucky and come across it all the time , but i dont think so

christ , do you want me to take a photo of every one i see on the 2.2km walk down arklow seafront on one day ? i promise you there is loads of it

dont mind people not taking there shoes off , its really pig ignorant dog owners , any one know this walk in arklow who can back me up on this ?

I think most would gladly comply with the request. The problem is with your attitude that if we don't ask or don't automatically remove them we're being rude. And as for comparing drink driving to wearing shoes indoors, can we keep some perspective here.

i was not comparing drink driving to wearing shoes indoors

i was comparing how some things are seen as ok then change with time , IE culture change

can you keep some perspective, and stop try to score points for some reason known only to yourself :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I do but I wouldn't expect guests to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

no I dont, cause Im not a muslim [think thats the religion where you cant have shoes on your feet in the house?]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

You see this makes a mockery of the no shoes rule. Cats will be out running around in all sorts and licking there arses and then there paws but are allowed walk around the house yet a person can't walk around in clean shoes.

I wouldn't allow pets in my house but shoes I've no problem with. Well I would let in a dog with its owner but I wouldn't keep a pet in the house myself.

People can take their shoes off in a second. Cats it's a bit more difficult! Plus they're fluffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

but in reality , if you shower everyday , have clean socks and shoes , your feet tend not to stink , no matter how long you have been in them

its different if its a scabby old pair of shoes , and i could see how some people get caught out , but as my friends who have called to my house have said this very thing before they come in , they have pointed out that they have been working all day and would prefer to keep there shoes on , well then no problem , as i know they would have checked there shoes anyway

its down to respect for the house owner , its just bad manners not to ask , and if asked if you cant remove them , then let the person know

just walking away is ignorance

i wonder would the reaction be the same with a smoker ?
    if you did not smoke but a person called and insisted to be allowed to smoke, and if you did not want it, you are called anal and told to cop on?

if peopple dont like the house rules , then dont go there , problem solved

The ignorance is with the host.
    The least you can expect is to be welcomed when arriving at someone else's house,not being dictated to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

smaks of OCD, the people who do this are the one who clean their house absessively, or in the other direction, DONT clean their house much so by people taking their shoes off they dont have to clean it much [their rationale] because less dirt is being walked in

pure laziness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm not comfortable at home til me shoes, socks, pants and jocks are off and I'm in a pair of shorts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

IM0 wrote: »
    no I dont, cause Im not a muslim [think thats the religion where you cant have shoes on your feet in the house?]

:confused:

Advertisement