Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off in the house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yes I do, and I expect my house guests to do so also
    kfallon wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable at home til me shoes, socks, pants and jocks are off and I'm in a pair of shorts!

Sounds grand. Would you ask your guests to do the same? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

oldyouth wrote: »
    Sounds grand. Would you ask your guests to do the same? ;)

I wouldn't ask them to but they are more than welcome to do it tho I'd insist on short shorts for the women :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

In 37 years, I can honestly say I've never been asked to take my shoes off when entering someone's house. I'd actually find it rude to walk around socked/barefoot in someone else's home, unless they were family or very close friends.

I do think people nowadays are really overly paranoid about dirt and germs, so maybe that has something to do with it. I clean my floors regularly and have a mat outside and inside the front door, so it wouldn't even enter my head to ask a guest to remove their shoes. Even if they did somehow manage to drag some mud or dog poo in with them, it's easy to clean up and wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No I don't, feet are disgusting
    Do none of you have a doormat and/or a hall mat?

Next time you have time, get down on your hands and knees and have a close look at your hall mat. All sorts in it.
    IM0 wrote: »
    no I dont, cause Im not a muslim [think thats the religion where you cant have shoes on your feet in the house?]

In Japan its de-rigueur. Dunno if its connected to Buddhism though.

At the end of the day its my house, my rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Auldloon wrote: »

People can take their shoes off in a second. Cats it's a bit more difficult! Plus they're fluffy.

Yep I would always put on my crocks r slipers
    Sure you could have ****e on shoes and drag it in and children crawlin on floor.

I'm fussy about that but not ott with cleanliness
    Constant washing etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I'm Asian - we change into slippers when we get home. Fellow Asian guests do too.

Though Irish friends are welcome to leave their shoes on (most don't think about changing their shoes).

Different culture I guess.

edit: slippers are provided for guests so there's no question of anyone walking around barefoot/in socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

mike65 wrote: »
    Next time you have time, get down on your hands and knees and have a close look at your hall mat. All sorts in it.

Incapable of cleaning that, are we?

Shoes on or off, it's no excuse to not wash your floors and carpets! Many a shoe-less house I've been in has left my socks manky.

So don't try and tell me it's all in the name of cleanliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I always leave my shoes on, but walk on my hands in the house, so not sure what way to vote, as I don't wear shoes on my hands.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Archeron wrote: »
    I always leave my shoes on, but walk on my hands in the house, so not sure what way to vote, as I don't wear shoes on my hands.

If someone was wearing their shoes on their hands but was walking on their shoeless feet would you want them to remove their shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Incapable of cleaning that, are we?

Well no my point is that it doesn't take long to tread crap into other peoples carpets. It takes one person in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

I think it depends what line of work you are in. if builder etc then i can see the point. i personally hate feet so i would not like someone to take off their shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I'm Asian - we change into slippers when we get home. Fellow Asian guests do too.

Though Irish friends are welcome to leave their shoes on (most don't think about changing their shoes).

Different culture I guess.

edit: slippers are provided for guests so there's no question of anyone walking around barefoot/in socks.

agree with the slipper, i luv em. have even wore them when heading to the shop by accident. was a bit paranoid though when i realised though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

If someone was wearing their shoes on their hands but was walking on their shoeless feet would you want them to remove their shoes?

No, not at all, I quite like shoes in all their incarnations. Slippers however, I do have an issue with, I genuinely think at least 50% of all slippers ever made are exceedingly evil and try to kill their owners on the stairs. Especially those flappy ones with no backs on them.

I would much rather barefooted hand shoe wearers than handshoeless slipper wearers who are a threat to themselves and everybody around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's kinda funny all of these people who claim taking shoes off is 'the norm'. In my 37 years I can only think of 3 places I've been asked to take off my shoes (2 not in Ireland). So it's certainly not the norm here anyway!

mike65 wrote: »
    Well no my point is that it doesn't take long to tread crap into other peoples carpets. It takes one person in fact.

And that's totally true, but in that case why can't they wipe their feet instead of doing so?

Furthermore, there's no need to have a "no shoes" policy when the onus is on the dirty shoe wearer to take them off rather than the houseowner to tell them to do so?

I don't agree with this "take your shoes off" business (can you tell? :P ) but I'd like to think I wouldn't be ignorant enough to go trampling muck into someone else's house. And if anyone was ignorant enough to do so in my house I'd ask them to take off the offending shoes but I wouldn't expect everyone to do it.

It's like wearing a jacket dripping with rain, I'd take it off and leave it in the porch or somewhere the dripping wouldn't be a problem, no need to ban all jackets.

Another thing, I think this poll is slightly ambiguous... Some people just prefer to walk around their house minus shoes (I like to do this!) and others have a rule of no shoes in the house. I think there's some confusion around this issue, but I took the poll to mean that some people had a rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

It's pretty obvious from responses that its not expected in general for guests to take their shoes off in Ireland but it does seem to be very common in the vast majority of other countries.

Perhaps the people who experience it in Ireland visit immigrants or returning emigrants who have picked up the habit.

It's kinda funny all of these people who claim taking shoes off is 'the norm'. In my 37 years I can only think of 3 places I've been asked to take off my shoes (2 not in Ireland). So it's certainly not the norm here anyway!

If you throw in the billions of Asians for whom taking off shoes is "the norm" and expected then on a global scale I guess it is the norm - then again only 4 billion Asians so not guaranteed :D

Just did a quick check and it seems that Indians also take shoes off - so that's at least 2.7 billion people who generally do it.

Though I agree with not asking - I would never ask my guest to remove their shoes (I'd hope they notice the row of slippers available for their use and me changing into slippers and offer themselves though). It would be very rude (in my eyes) to make my guest uncomfortable about their cultural habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'd hope they notice the row of slippers available for their use

I'd be very uncomfortable with the idea of putting on slippers that others wear. I would like to respect the wishes of any home owner but I would find that very difficult to do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd feel uncomfortable using the towel in somebody else's bathroom let alone taking my shoes off and slipping into a pair of communal slippers.

I'd be very uncomfortable with the idea of putting on slippers that others wear. I would like to respect the wishes of any home owner but I would find that very difficult to do though.

Horses for courses - I feel awful when visiting Irish friends and just walking into their house without changing into slippers. Though I admit I did exaggerate the feeling awful bit :)

Putting on slippers others use isn't that bad - since they're always worn in the house people generally don't sweat etc into them as they would with day to day shoes. It's more for insulation than anything else I think. Or maybe we're just less concerned about each other's feet over here in the Asian countries.

The Irish (and many Western countries) have qualms about sticking things in their ears too - whereas over in Asia we have special tools, or just use ordinary utensils and even (in Japan) special salons where beautiful girls/guys(?) do it for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

If you throw in the billions of Asians for whom taking off shoes is "the norm" and expected then on a global scale I guess it is the norm - then again only 4 billion Asians so not guaranteed :D

Just did a quick check and it seems that Indians also take shoes off - so that's at least 2.7 billion people who generally do it.

Though I agree with not asking - I would never ask my guest to remove their shoes (I'd hope they notice the row of slippers available for their use and me changing into slippers and offer themselves though). It would be very rude (in my eyes) to make my guest uncomfortable about their cultural habits.

and dont forget the vast majority of Europe and northern america , so you are pushing for over half of the world population , this does not include the people who do it for relgious reasons , so you are talking a huge majority world wide who practice this

in fact i can only think of Ireland , England , some of the US ( some houses i was in did remove them and some did not ) who do not practice this habit

can any one think of any more ? im sure there are LOADS but i can only talk for places i have been

when i lived in greece , they would change from outdoor flip flops to indoor ones , they would not wear them in the house , same in italy

I'd feel uncomfortable using the towel in somebody else's bathroom let alone taking my shoes off and slipping into a pair of communal slippers.

i would be the same , but the communal slippers have never been offered when i have been abroad

socks are fine , as most people expect that you have washed and have clean socks on , so walking around their house in your socks would not be a issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i would be the same , but the communal slippers have never been offered when i have been abroad

socks are fine , as most people expect that you have washed and have clean socks on , so walking around their house in your socks would not be a issue

Socks would be the norm. I think people are imagining being asked to walk around in bare feet!

Auldloon wrote: »
    Socks would be the norm. I think people are imagining being asked to walk around in bare feet!

And if you aren't wearing socks you are being asked to walk around in your bare feet.

i just find it hard to get my head around that if you arrived at someones house , as a GUEST , you would not happily comply with their request ,
    its not as if they are asking you to get naked , its a pairs of shoe and its their house

Id like to point out that while I think its a silly thing to have such a strict rule about and have argued that point on the thread I would do it without complaint in someone else's house if hinted at or told to do so, it is there house at the end of the day.

And if you aren't wearing socks you are being asked to walk around in your bare feet.

well if some one arrived with no socks on , then i would not expect them to take their shoes off , no one would insist on that

its not a prevalent habit in Ireland i grant you that , and i have no hard and fast rule about it , my family and people who know me , do it and do it with no problem , as they understand , that is just how we do things and they respect that

but the fuel guy coming or some one in for a quick visit then , no i dont expect them to take them off
    other people have different views and i understand that , im not a shoe nazi

but , its my house , shoes off - i would respect your wishes if i visited your home

well if some one arrived with no socks on , then i would not expect them to take their shoes off , no one would insist on that

its not a prevalent habit in Ireland i grant you that , and i have no hard and fast rule about it , my family and people who know me , do it and do it with no problem , as they understand , that is just how we do things and they respect that

but the fuel guy coming or some one in for a quick visit then , no i dont expect them to take them off
    other people have different views and i understand that , im not a shoe nazi

but , its my house , shoes off - i would respect your wishes if i visited your home

But it's pretty common for women not to be wearing socks or stockings and for everyone in summer so this issue would arise quite a lot.

I would also respect the wishes of any home owner but I think you need to accept that your wishes will make quite a lot of guests uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Archeron wrote: »
    Slippers however, I do have an issue with, I genuinely think at least 50% of all slippers ever made are exceedingly evil and try to kill their owners on the stairs. Especially those flappy ones with no backs on them.

Actually, I totally agree with this. Slippers are dangerous, or at least the backless type. Most of them are so loose that they are lethal on stairs. Slippers = evil. At least those imaginably foul croc things have something to slip over the ankle.

But it's pretty common for women not to be wearing socks or stockings and for everyone in summer so this issue would arise quite a lot.

I would also respect the wishes of any home owner but I think you need to accept that your wishes will make quite a lot of guests uncomfortable.

why would taking your shoes off make you uncomfortable
    you have feet , just like me - i cant see why it could be a issue ,

is it a Irish and British thing i wonder , no one else has a problem with it when im away , i find it friendly and inviting to go to someones house you dont know, and wander around in your socks :)

maybe its just me , im just not getting why it would be a problem

• Advertisement

A cultural difference again - I don't think people in China (where I'm from) really go around barefoot and it gets hot where I'm from (think 40 degrees in the shade).

If you don't wear socks/stockings then your sweat/dead skin will just be left on the shoes you're wearing - isn't that more "icky" than wearing socks in communal slippers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

It's completely the norm in Asia and you get used to it while you're there. I think it depends on how people introduce the subject. If somebody wants to have a quiet word then that's fine but if they throw a complete sh1tfit and embarrass you in front of other people I'd find that a big turn-off.

why would taking your shoes off make you uncomfortable
    you have feet , just like me - i cant see why it could be a issue ,

is it a Irish and British thing i wonder , no one else has a problem with it when im away , i find it friendly and inviting to go to someones house you dont know, and wander around in your socks :)

maybe its just me , im just not getting why it would be a problem

I would be ok with socks but I rarely wear them and I don't fancy walking around in my bare feet on dirty floors then having to put my feet back into my shoes. Not to mention the risk of contagious conditions like verruca.

Others may have foot problems they are self conscious about. Some women would even be unhappy about losing the height and slimming effect of heels.

Wattle wrote: »
    It's completely the norm in Asia and you get used to it while you're there. I think it depends on how people introduce the subject. If somebody wants to have a quiet word then that's fine but if they throw a complete sh1tfit and embarrass you in front of other people I'd find that a big turn-off.

:eek:

Shoe fetish-isms? :p

Reminds me of bowling shoes... *shudder*

A cultural difference again - I don't think people in China (where I'm from) really go around barefoot and it gets hot where I'm from (think 40 degrees in the shade).

If you don't wear socks/stockings then your sweat/dead skin will just be left on the shoes you're wearing - isn't that more "icky" than wearing socks in communal slippers?

Again, socks in the slippers wouldn't be too bad but otherwise no. Any sweat or dead skin cells are my own.

• Advertisement

I would be ok with socks but I rarely wear them and I don't fancy walking around in my bare feet on dirty floors then having to put my feet back into my shoes.

Others may have foot problems they are self conscious about. Some women would even be unhappy about losing the height and slimming effect of heels.

but i said it would happen with family and friends , not strangers
    and my family and friends dont care about how we appear , nor do i them ,
    its not a job interview , you are going to visit a friend or relation

funny , but most of Europe and Asia can do it , i cant see why the Irish and British would have such a problem with it , do they not also have short women

Reminds me of bowling shoes... *shudder*

Probably has less bacteria than your own shoes as I imagine each pair is sprayed with disinfectant after each use.

Psychologically not the same though I give you.

Just like how our toilets are generally cleaner than kitchen surfaces but you wouldn't eat off your toilet seat but may pick something up off the surface of your kitchen counter.

but i said it would happen with family and friends , not strangers
    and my family and friends dont care about how we appear , nor do i them ,
    its not a job interview , you are going to visit a friend or relation

funny , but most of Europe and Asia can do it , i cant see why the Irish and British would have such a problem with it , do they not also have short women

I don't find cultural differences funny at all.

As I said the issue is hygiene for me, not appearance, but I know plenty of people whose appearance is important to them even in the company of friends and family. No different than women who wouldn't allow friends or family see them without a full face of slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I usually switch into ugg boots out of my usual shoes when I'm at home I don't like walking around barefoot.

In one of my friends houses they have real wooden floor in the sitting room and you always have to take your shoes off before entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

always...its just snug with carpet

• Advertisement

I don't find cultural differences funny at all.

As I said the issue is hygiene for me, not appearance, but I know plenty of people whose appearance is important to them even in the company of friends and family. No different than women who wouldn't allow friends or family see them without a full face of slap.

and yet you find no shoes odd

and yet you find no shoes odd

I find such women odd but I accept and respect their views and I would not like to make any guests to my home feel uncomfortable.

I also have at no point said I consider no shoes odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I find such women odd but I accept and respect their views and I would not like to make any guests to my home feel uncomfortable.

When I go to s foreign country I see what other people do and follow the lead.
    When I visit Slovaks in Ireland I take off my shoes as I would visiting Slovakia.
    Its not a problem for me.

When I go to s foreign country I see what other people do and follow the lead.
    When I visit Slovaks in Ireland I take off my shoes as I would visiting Slovakia.
    Its not a problem for me.

Is there a reason you are quoting my post here?

but i think it might be you that feels uncomfortable , not the guest
    and in fairness , you can keep ignoring in my post where i have said repeatedly that the only people who take their shoes off are friends and family ,
    so they would not feel uncomfortable at all , seeing the know me and my house rules

and TBH if someone who does come to my house who has a "problem" with taking their shoes off , well sorry for ya , grown up , in this house you take your shoes off , simple as that

life throws little situations at you that you have face and deal with - one of them is sometimes removing your shoes - and if a person cant handle that then they have bigger issues , and that is not my problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I am the one from way back who has a no-shoes house....
    Fair enough, keep yer fecking shoes on, if that's what it takes to make ye happy.
    BUT...if you have a toddler or a baby living with you, then please be prepared to give one lick to the soles of both shoes of each guest as they arrive to your home. Fair's fair! If the kids gotta lick off their hands the detritus of snail snot, dog leak, hedgehog scumble, bird poop, dead slug, etc etc etc , then why don't you have first tasties? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I am the one from way back who has a no-shoes house....
    Fair enough, keep yer fecking shoes on, if that's what it takes to make ye happy.
    BUT...if you have a toddler or a baby living with you, then please be prepared to give one lick to the soles of both shoes of each guest as they arrive to your home. Fair's fair! If the kids gotta lick off their hands the detritus of snail snot, dog leak, hedgehog scumble, bird poop, dead slug, etc etc etc , then why don't you have first tasties? :P

It's also important that babies or toddlers never play outside, in case they come into contact with the natural environment.

Or could the biggest danger be the **** that is inside the heads of some parents.

• sesswhat wrote: »
    It's also important that babies or toddlers never play outside, in case they come into contact with the natural environment.

Or could the biggest danger be the **** that is inside the heads of some parents.

I know! What is wrong with some parents? Do they never let their kids play in the park? Or anywhere outside? I'd be more worried about being that neurotic instead of worrying about people wearing shoes in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

If shoe removal is for child safety, then don't panic - most of us grew up in a non shoe-removing household and we lived to tell the tale. Regular floor-washing is done too, as well as the removal/cleaning of any shoes that are visibly dirty.

I'd be annoyed by the request when visiting someone, but... their home. I don't remove my shoes in my home unless putting my feet up on the furniture/feeling like wearing slippers or socks. The floors are all wooden or tiled though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Madam_X wrote: »
    If shoe removal is for child safety, then don't panic - most of us grew up in a non shoe-removing household and we lived to tell the tale. Regular floor-washing is done too, as well as the removal/cleaning of any shoes that are visibly dirty.

I'd be annoyed by the request when visiting someone, but... their home. I don't remove my shoes in my home unless putting my feet up on the furniture/feeling like wearing slippers or socks. The floors are all wooden or tiled though.

Why would you be annoyed it someone said "There are a few pairs of slippers there, will you just lob of your shoes and throw on a pair, thanks a lot"

• Advertisement
Advertisement