Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - too many f splitters?

• 27-02-2013 1:33am

I have UPC analogue and 8mb Eircom. At the moment I (perhaps naughtily) have a two way f splitter supplying the analogue to one TV in the sitting room and another in the kitchen.

I'd love to get UPC 50mb broadband. However it would involve using another f-splitter. Would using a second two way f-splitter reduce the picture quality dramatically? I could tolerate a small deterioration.

The only other option would probably be to use a single three way f-splitter. Would this be a better and less damaging option please? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated my friends! :)

(By the way I know my current setup is archaic but there are reasons that I won't delve into. You just don't want to know! :D)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you have a particular placement needed for the modem/router? If you split at the TV and placed the EPC modem you'd get there there shouldnt be any problems.

That said, if the copper in your house is old they may well bring in a new feed in order to supply the router with a decent line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My UPC signal is split with a four-way splitter in my attic. In my front room, it's split again with a two-way splitter, one into a HD box and another into my modem; I've no issues with signal from either a TV or BB front.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

I have a smart homes setup in my house wit ha TV point in each room. Before UPC launched On Demand I had access to basic analogue in 3 rooms upstairs and digital in sitting room.

On Demand wouldn't work for us so we got an engineer out to look into it. He reterminated the cables at the back of the smart homes box but didn't connect up the tv point for the spare rooms upstairs, just the main bedroom.

Didn't bother me for a while till we had quests staying over. I added another f splitter to the setup and tuned in the tv in the spare room. The only channel that seems to have a weak signal is Channel 4 but I rarely watch that anyway.

In total I now have 3 splitters installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Yakuza wrote: »
    My UPC signal is split with a four-way splitter in my attic. In my front room, it's split again with a two-way splitter, one into a HD box and another into my modem; I've no issues with signal from either a TV or BB front.
    well at least you're realistic, you're prepared to accept some deterioration.
    I'm going to assume that your UPC cable enters your house via the attic,
    and from there it is split 4 ways. One cable leads to the sitting room, where it is split, one into the set-top box and the other into the kitchen.

Divert the UPC cable so it comes into the house via the sitting room.
    Then fit a 3-way splitter to it.
    From the TV distribution amplifier, which should boost your signal, you can feed the kitchen and use the cable was sending the signal down from the attic to sitting room to now send the signal from the sitting room up to the attic.

If you wanted to receive the channels from your set-top box in the kitchen also and were prepared to take a risk in further picture deterioration,
    you could divert the existing scart cable between the set-top box and the television via one of these guys
    http://www.marmitek.com/en/product-details/audio-video-at-home/operate-anywhere/operating-outside-the-infrared-range/videocontrol-3.php
    or this
    http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/remote-controls/sky-remote-controls/omnilink-infrared-signal-extender-system-view-your-satalite-program-in-another-location.htm
    or this
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Triax-Tri-link-remote-extender-and-RF-modulator.html

Then I would move your TV distribution amplifier to the attic where you have the 4 way splitter, and boost the signal there. Though some of us are dubious about putting electrical devices in our attics.

I'm not sure there is an ideal solution, I'm just throwing some possible ideas your way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It looks like you were replying to my post rather than the OPs? I only posted my setup to tell the OP that splitting a signal twice didn't (in my experience, at least) adversely affect either my broadband or tv reception, so that hopefully it wouldn't affect them either. I did have the f-splitter installed by an electrician when I was getting my house rewired, and the cable and connections are of a fairly good quality.

I'm happy with my setup, I've three DVR boxes (two HD) working perfectly along with my broadband (the DVR setup reports 80% signal strength, 100% quality), all driven off the passive four-way f-splitter in the attic. As you mention, I wouldn't be happy with a powered (i.e. prone to heating) device in the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

iiq77xee0m.jpg

Advertisement