Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Smoking Directive

• 27-02-2013 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

There's a lively debate going on over in the Vaping forum on this directive and I'm surprised there isn't one going on here too.

The short version is that the EU are trying to further restrict smoking, namely by increasing taxes, restricting packaging and also by banning menthol flavourings among other things.

Is anybody else here following things?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

P_1 wrote: »
    namely by increasing taxes
    Where are you seeing that? Surely the EU has no role in taxation here.

This is odd:
    The proposal foresees a prohibition for cigarettes, roll your own tobacco and smokeless tobacco that have characterising flavours
    I wonder why pipe tobacco is left out? As an occasional smoker of cherry tobacco I hope we get a bye on this.

Going after the vapers is just stupid, IMO. Hopefully someone will point that out.

Here's the main EU Commission page on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I would imagine that if the proposal goes any further then mere debate that other tobacco products like pipe tobacco and cigars will be included.

I'm also supprised at the the vapers getting targeted. I can only assume that the anti-smoking lobby will rise to their defence.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

OldGoat wrote: »
    I would imagine that if the proposal goes any further then mere debate that other tobacco products like pipe tobacco and cigars will be included.

I'm also supprised at the the vapers getting targeted. I can only assume that the anti-smoking lobby will rise to their defence.

TBH I think its the pharmaceutical companies who provide the quitting smoking products being concerned over potential damage to their profit margins more than anything else.

Personally I don't think there should be an us and them divide between vapers and smokers. Its somewhat akin to there being a divide between tea and coffee drinkers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

NOoo! Not my vanilla cigars!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Ah this is beyond annoying, we get charged enough for the ruddy things and now they want to ban the ones with quirky flavours.

Also as someone who smokes a pipe when I can (sadly not often enough) would this affect aromatic pipe tobacco? As the flavour would change from blend to blend along with the aroma could these awkward imbeciles in Europe with nothing better to do argue that as such it is a "characterising flavour"?

Needless to say I'm all worked up now, maybe I'll have a smoke so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's a lively debate going on over in the Vaping forum on this directive and I'm surprised there isn't one going on here too.

Tbh i think that a lot of smokers have grown weary of the constant attacks on them and just tend to shrug their shoulders at stuff like this. This being the first attack on Vaping i can understand why there's much more activity and annoyance at it.

I'm firmly in the camp that believes that the big Pharmaceutical companies are behind the vaping directive. They've been lobbying governments hard on this as more people turn from expensive patches/gum/inhalers to vaping. Much like the way tobacco companies try to stem the crackdown on tobacco products,the pharmaceutical companies are going to go to bat to keep their market share alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*looks at ASH UK's campaign against vaping*

*sighs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be honest it seems that certain people with influence seem hell bent on having the consumption of nicotine (in the vast majority of its forms) banned.

Why? I don't know. But for whatever reason they seem to do so.

It makes me feel incredibly frustrated that only one side of the argument seems to be being listened to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

To be honest it seems that certain people with influence seem hell bent on having the consumption of nicotine (in the vast majority of its forms) banned.

Why? I don't know. But for whatever reason they seem to do so.

It makes me feel incredibly frustrated that only one side of the argument seems to be being listened to.

I totally agree. TBH i'm very militant when it comes to smoking,so much so that i bite my tongue when posting here as i'd probably have to infract and ban myself!:p

This reply from a Danish politician about the smoking directive sums up my thoughts on smoking and life in general.
    I have never smoked, and I will probably never will, but it annoys me enormously when politicians from the municipal level to the EU dictate whether people smoke or not.

Our Committee has today sent back to the Commission a tobacco directive which would, amongst other things, prohibit snus, cigarette flavours, thin cigarettes and would mandate warnings on 70% of the packages. If enough other countries do the same, the Commission must start over.

...If the EU, state and local governments succeed in making people stop smoking (which they hardly do), we will become healthier, but it's a poor society that controls its citizens completely in the private sphere. A rich life is to have his personal integrity safeguarded, and even to choose, good, bad, funny, unhealthy, healthy or downright stupid.

The only thing that is certain in life is that we eventually die. What we do with life while we have it is for us to decide.

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/denmark-rejects-tobacco-products.html

Advertisement