Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax question

Options
  • 27-02-2013 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I was born in the USA in 1987 my mother flew home shortly after i was born. I have held a USA passport since 2003 when i turned 16. I went on holidays to the USA a few time and when i was there in 2007 i applied and got my Social security number. However i have never worked and never lived in the USA. Should i have been paying tax or at least returning tax forms for the last few years? I have been in university since i turned 18 and i have only been working in a fulltime job since 2011 in Australia so i havent ever earned enough to pay tax but now that i am the thought crossed my mind about USA tax.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You were born in the USA but have never worked or lived there, you have a US Passport.

You now work in Australia

So you post in an Irish discussion forum to ask if you should be paying US tax :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

using your logic your from dublin why would you post on this forum?

maybe i should have said i lived in ireland from the age of 0 to 24. but i thought using an irish forum it would be taken that i was irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Here you go OP.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

If you are a US citizen living abroad, you must still file a tax return with the INS. You will not have to pay income tax in both countries. The INS will give you credit for any tax you pay overseas. If it is more than what you would have paid in the US, you will not owe the INS anything. If it is less, you will.

The only exception to that is that if you earn less than $9,700 (US) per year, you don't have to file a tax return at all. If you earn over it, you do. That applies whether you live in the US or not. That is presuming that you are filing as a single person and are under the age of 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Here you go OP.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

If you are a US citizen living abroad, you must still file a tax return with the INS. You will not have to pay income tax in both countries. The INS will give you credit for any tax you pay overseas. If it is more than what you would have paid in the US, you will not owe the INS anything. If it is less, you will.

The only exception to that is that if you earn less than $9,700 (US) per year, you don't have to file a tax return at all. If you earn over it, you do. That applies whether you live in the US or not. That is presuming that you are filing as a single person and are under the age of 65.

Thanks Prouddub. Ill have to do some research into how fill out my tax forms and possibly back dating a year or few. Would you have any good links? Do you do yours yourself?

Advertisement