Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh hospital history

Options
  • 27-02-2013 7:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Was going past Nenagh hospital the other day and my nephew said something to me asking were any of my siblings born in Nenagh hospital. I told him no that Nenagh was for A&E, Thurles was the only maternity hospital in North Tipperary and that closed in the late 1980's just a few months before I was born in South Tipp General.

Anyway his question got me thinking was there ever any births in Nenagh hospital. Lets say an emergency situation were a woman goes into labour and couldn't make it to Thurles or Limerick back in the days before the N7.

I remember reading something a few years ago about the history of Nenagh hospital that up until the 1930's it was run by nuns or something. Must have been a few births at that hospital, the nuns wouldn't have turned away a pregnant woman from Nenagh like the uncaring MWHB or HSE would have.

It does make you think walking past these hospitals St Mary's Thurles and Nenagh General about the history of these hospitals. Who survived who sadly didn't. Be interesting if there was actually someone out there with a birth cert saying they were born in Nenagh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

chris2008x wrote: »
    Was going past Nenagh hospital the other day and my nephew said something to me asking were any of my siblings born in Nenagh hospital. I told him no that Nenagh was for A&E, Thurles was the only maternity hospital in North Tipperary and that closed in the late 1980's just a few months before I was born in South Tipp General.

Anyway his question got me thinking was there ever any births in Nenagh hospital. Lets say an emergency situation were a woman goes into labour and couldn't make it to Thurles or Limerick back in the days before the N7.

I remember reading something a few years ago about the history of Nenagh hospital that up until the 1930's it was run by nuns or something. Must have been a few births at that hospital, the nuns wouldn't have turned away a pregnant woman from Nenagh like the uncaring MWHB or HSE would have.

It does make you think walking past these hospitals St Mary's Thurles and Nenagh General about the history of these hospitals. Who survived who sadly didn't. Be interesting if there was actually someone out there with a birth cert saying they were born in Nenagh.

Not sure of the history but I assume back in the day hospitals did a bit of everything. My father was born in Nenagh Hospital in 1950, the rest of his family were home births.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

There were hundreds of babies born in Nenagh Hospital.

I was born (1965) in the hospital as were my 3 older siblings and I have a memory of my mother showing us a baby at an upstairs window when I was about 3.

Children weren't allowed into the maternity wards at that time.

So by my calculation there were at least 5 of us born in Nenagh Hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

It is disgraceful the number of medical services we have lost in North Tipperary in the past 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

chris2008x wrote: »

I was born in Nenagh Hospital, 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Dempsey wrote: »
    I was born in Nenagh Hospital, 1982.

You must be one of the last children born in Nenagh Hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You must be one of the last children born in Nenagh Hospital

AFAIK, they had to open a maternity ward for me, my mother was scheduled to go to Limerick but I wouldnt wait so they diverted to Nenagh. My older brother and sister were both born in Limerick, I had to be odd! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pflood1978

My brother was born in Nenagh hospital in 1981 and flown by helicopter to Limerick hospital.
    I was born in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Mother complains over treatment of baby
    By Peter Gleeson
    A woman has written to Health Minister James Reilly complaining about the reception she received when she arrived at Nenagh hospital with her infant child following their involvement in a road crash.
    Siobhan Quinlan and her four-month-old daughter from Reiska, Kilcommon, turned up in Nenagh hospital following the crash last month.
    In a copy of the letter to the minister sent to this newspaper, Ms Quinlan said she was in a great deal of stress after he car skidded, left the road and overturned on February 16th last.
    In the letter Ms Quinlan tells the minister that she pulled her baby from the overturned car and got to her local hospital in Nenagh fifteen minutes later.
    “To my utter disbelief I was told by a doctor and a nurse that it was not hospital policy to treat infants.
    “I pleaded with the doctor to at least look at the baby to see if she was in immediate danger of dying in my arms.”
    Ms Quinlan said the doctor repeated the hospital policy and offered her “no support whatsoever”.
    She added: “I felt utterly demeaned and dehumanised. I felt as if my fouryear-old baby mattered nothing, as if I had walked in with a dog in my arms.”
    She tells the minister “this is not the kind of health service fit for the 21st century. “This is what is left of a once proud and caring hospital. This is the legacy of Hanly, the troika and inept politicians.”
    The letter is marked copied to two North Tipperary TD’s Alan Kelly and Noel Coonan and to local Fine Gael councillor Phyll Bugler.
    In a statement, the HSE said the baby was triaged shortly after arrival at the hospital. “The infant was crying without any signs of any obvious injuries. An emergency ambulance was organised to transfer her to Dooradoyle for further assessment. This was declined by the parent who decided to drive the infant to Limerick.”
    The HSE said the parent left 10 minutes after arrival at Nenagh, but the infant did not subsequently attend the emergency department of the Mid Western Hospital in Dooradoyle.
    “The Local Injuries Unit’s policy is to see children over five years and also adults with specific low-risk conditions.”
    The HSE said that in cases where a motor vehicle has undergone significant damage in a crash, it is best that casualties arising from such incidents are assessed in the emergency department and therefore it was decided to transfer the infant to Limerick.
    The HSE added: “The medical and nursing staff ensure that patients are suitable for transfer and can perform any life-saving treatments if necessary.”
    The statement went on: “Staff on duty in the Local Injuries Unit in Nenagh do not recall any specific issued raised at the time regarding the care the infant received during her stay at the unit.”

Shocking to read.

Advertisement