Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccermanager.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Is there anything more frustrating that scouting for hours, finding a player you're willing to splash out on, and then realizing the other manager hasn't been on for over a week? :( Meaning it'll likely be another 3 before you even get to a stage of making a new bid for him.

My frustration is not having the money and then watch somebody else sign them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slide Rule Pass

Is there anything more frustrating that scouting for hours, finding a player you're willing to splash out on, and then realizing the other manager hasn't been on for over a week? :( Meaning it'll likely be another 3 before you even get to a stage of making a new bid for him.

he probably wouldn't sell you Diego Costa anyway ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

he probably wouldn't sell you Diego Costa anyway ;)

Why would you want to sign him? Surely a move to Liverpool would bring a ratings decrease?!!

:P:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well thanks for naming him :rolleyes: That'll make it far less frustrating now...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That's hardly scouting when he's all over the newspapers :pac:

• Advertisement

Wasn't just talking about him anyway. Have five or so players I would pay triple value for but the managers aren't active.

Also, I was the only one with him short listed. See how long that lasts now his name is out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Wasn't just talking about him anyway. Have five or so players I would pay triple value for but the managers aren't active.

Also, I was the only one with him short listed. See how long that lasts now his name is out there...

See how long it take for a relatively unknown player going to Liverpool to make it on people's short lists?

It's the same with the RYU to Dortmund thing, fair enough if that player wasn't on the verge of a life changing transfer, and inevitable huge rating increase, I'd say the other lads were out of order naming him.. but I've seen him in the news for the last few weeks now and will definitely make an offer if he does move to Liverpool same with most of the other managers

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭pepper180

Don't worry pal, I wont put you up to competition to sign him so I won't be shortlisting him...

Just go easy on me in the last game of the season as a return in favor :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

pepper180 wrote: »

Just go easy on me in the last game of the season as a return in favor :pac:

Batter him!! Hit him for 5 or 6 after all it'll be Gareths farewell party it'd be rude not too !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Wilberto wrote: »
    Why would you want to sign him? Surely a move to Liverpool would bring a ratings decrease?!!

:P:pac:

Fixed :cool:

• Advertisement

Well thanks for naming him :rolleyes: That'll make it far less frustrating now...

I wouldn't get too excited anyway, apparantly he is a very overrated player, can't say I've seen too much of him but that's what the word on him is anyhow

See how long it take for a relatively unknown player going to Liverpool to make it on people's short lists?

It's the same with the RYU to Dortmund thing, fair enough if that player wasn't on the verge of a life changing transfer, and inevitable huge rating increase, I'd say the other lads were out of order naming him.. but I've seen him in the news for the last few weeks now and will definitely make an offer if he does move to Liverpool same with most of the other managers

Listen, I'll start this off by saying it's not a big deal. Given the manager hasn't been online in a week, I doubt he's going anywhere soon.

It's just that I thought we weren't naming people who were under any consideration for transfers or whatever deals would be organised. And while I appreciate the point that he might have generated some interest further down the line, the interest is going to intensify now he's been named. Before the naming, I was the only person with him short listed; now it's up to three teams with him shortlisted, and United have put a bid in for him.

I agree that if he signed for Pool, he would have become a bigger target, but that doesn't change the fact that there'd be several players I have on my list of options right now who are being linked with teams and who aren't short listed and haven't gotten the attention YET in the game world, and it's not hugely fair to start throwing those names round. Scouting, imo, is more than just picking up the papers and seeing who is moving where; in the gameworld, it's also about trying to find players other teams aren't after yet and trying to snap them up before they are.

So when I see this guy, who is being linked with a big move to the PL, and no one is looking at him in the game world, then I start to think "Right, that gives me potential to make moves without other teams with more money to spend jumping on the deal". And then when that name gets outed on here, I think it is kind of unfair.

I'd have thought the vague comment I made originally was indication enough I wanted to buy a player, and then when the player is named, it does pretty much scupper all chances I'd have to negotiate for that player (if, again, the manager was online).

I did warn about that player and he didn't go in the end...... ;)

Listen, I'll start this off by saying it's not a big deal. Given the manager hasn't been online in a week, I doubt he's going anywhere soon.

It's just that I thought we weren't naming people who were under any consideration for transfers or whatever deals would be organised. And while I appreciate the point that he might have generated some interest further down the line, the interest is going to intensify now he's been named. Before the naming, I was the only person with him short listed; now it's up to three teams with him shortlisted, and United have put a bid in for him.

I agree that if he signed for Pool, he would have become a bigger target, but that doesn't change the fact that there'd be several players I have on my list of options right now who are being linked with teams and who aren't short listed and haven't gotten the attention YET in the game world, and it's not hugely fair to start throwing those names round. Scouting, imo, is more than just picking up the papers and seeing who is moving where; in the gameworld, it's also about trying to find players other teams aren't after yet and trying to snap them up before they are.

So when I see this guy, who is being linked with a big move to the PL, and no one is looking at him in the game world, then I start to think "Right, that gives me potential to make moves without other teams with more money to spend jumping on the deal". And then when that name gets outed on here, I think it is kind of unfair.

I'd have thought the vague comment I made originally was indication enough I wanted to buy a player, and then when the player is named, it does pretty much scupper all chances I'd have to negotiate for that player (if, again, the manager was online).

Happened to me I was the only one who had a great player short listed and then somebody who had no intention of signing him put up his name for people and then he was gone sadly there will always people that get kicks more so out of screwing others rather than playing the game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

In fairness, you'd want to be living on mars for the past two weeks with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears (Guess the reference :D) if you haven't heard that he was linked with that move.

I think that the reason there was no interest in him in the gameworld is because he's already managed so people would assume that the selling and buying managers both know that he's on the verge of a move to the PL and the asking price would rise accordingly.

In fairness, you'd want to be living on mars for the past two weeks with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears (Guess the reference :D) if you haven't heard that he was linked with that move.

I think that the reason there was no interest in him in the gameworld is because he's already managed so people would assume that the selling and buying managers both know that he's on the verge of a move to the PL and the asking price would rise accordingly.
    I didn't because I have no interest in who Liverpool are signing more than likely just another racist

JamboMac wrote: »
    I didn't because I have no interest in who Liverpool are signing more than likely just another racist

I know, I was referring more to Teamshadowclan's issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

JamboMac wrote: »

Good one, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

When does the next season start?

Matt Pepper was unable to prevent a Argentina defeat to Republic of Macedonia.
    Argentina slumped to a 2 - 0 defeat against Republic of Macedonia in their SMFA World Cup Qualifiers Group 3 fixture.

Messi & Higuain getting sent off.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

pepper180 wrote: »
    Matt Pepper was unable to prevent a Argentina defeat to Republic of Macedonia.
    Argentina slumped to a 2 - 0 defeat against Republic of Macedonia in their SMFA World Cup Qualifiers Group 3 fixture.

Messi & Higuain getting sent off.. :pac:

No shame in that, I led them to defeat to Macedonia during my tenure there, defeat to Ireland then made me quit.

No shame in that, I led them to defeat to Macedonia during my tenure there, defeat to Ireland then made me quit.

After 2 games in charge ive won 1 and lost 1. Came 2nd in the qualifiers so I'm happy.

Ireland came 1st :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

International Message
    David James earned a draw with Belgium against Costa Rica.
    The match ended 0 - 0 between Belgium and Costa Rica in their SMFA World Cup Qualifiers Group 10 fixture.

I am ruining Belgium's golden generation!!

Doesn't mean he couldn't be shortlisted; I've made it clear Bale isn't for sale, yet he's shortlisted by 10 clubs. Generally, I find that when managers think like that, they short list the player to keep an eye on him and are prepared for when others start bidding.

Noticed now he's shortlisted by 6 teams, and Man United and Man City have both bid for him now. Regardless of what interest he might have generated further down the line, you can't argue that interest wasn't generated because he was named when I gave vague reference to being interested in the player and his name was dropped here. Again, it's not really that big a deal as I was only semi-interested in him based on the fact no one else was, and I appreciate the interest would have generated eventually. But if he wasn't named here, then that interest would have been further down the line and he might have gone to a different club by then. It's not "He's going to Liverpool, I'll bid" interest, which would have generated by now or waited a while till he signed; it's "Oh hey, someone is after him, I'll go after him too" interest.

I just think that regardless of who the player is, if the selling team doesn't name him to drum up interest, then teams with no involvement with the player shouldn't name him either.

Meanwhile, noticed that the manager is back online. Enjoy the bids. Knowing those bidding for him and how much cash they have, I'm sure the offers are huge :P

(And as an aside, I don't blame any team for shortlisting him or bidding on him. His name is out there now, go for it. I have in the past. It was the naming of him that irks me...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I just think that regardless of who the player is, if the selling team doesn't name him to drum up interest, then teams with no involvement with the player shouldn't name him either.

if you didn't mention it in the first place no one would've known/went looking to see who it was either though.

Now this has nothing to do with me but before it happens to me I'll just clear the air on what I think,

Personally I think its a shocking disgrace that someone would mention a players name that someone was going to bid on. It just adds more competition for them and yourselves and is also not the nicest of things to do.

I doubt if you had a youngster that was shortlisted for a long time and then I come on here and start boasting saying 'Oh you have him shortlisted blah blah blah, i doubt you'd be happy?? Ok yes, everyone knows about him as he was in the news all week but he wasn't mentioned on this AT ALL! Maybe because it was being kept quiet so the transfer would go through easily?!

It wasn't the only team that wasn't online for a week, there is 7 teams that were offline for a week, could have been anyone of them but no, someone had to open their trap and say who it really was. Ridiculous!

Its not the way we work on here lads so it would be greatly appreciated if you can keep it shut for a while as its not showing much sportsmanship common courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My opinion is, fúck it. You brought the discussion/revelation of the player yourself.

On a wider general note, if someone wants to talk about a player they should be allowed. This whole, not talkin about bids etc is nonsense IMO

My opinion is, fúck it. You brought the discussion/revelation of the player yourself.

On a wider general note, if someone wants to talk about a player they should be allowed. This whole, not talkin about bids etc is nonsense IMO

Its fine if they are actually interested in the player but if they are just in to spoil someone's bid its completely wrong! Most people wont understand until it happens to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You should be allowed discuss all and any players anytime you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

If people bring the player up themselves(in what ever obscure manner) i agree with you , but dont think it is fair when you stumble across a player that one team has shortlisted and bid for to go announcing that deal to the world.

They could have been sitting on that deal for a few weeks until they got the funds, would royally turn me off this game if people were going around broadcasting deals that no one in the GW was aware of and that you did good work on to find ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement