Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

standard of construction work in Australia

Options
  • 27-02-2013 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

As an electrician I have seen alot of terrible electrical work in Australia. I've seen stuff that would not be seen as safe or passable in Ireland.It just seems to be the quickest and cheapest way to do a job is used every time with no pride being taken in how it looks. I'm not saying the irish are better tradesmen but I do think we work to a higher standard. I'm just wondering what other tradies think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

Priory Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Yup have to agree. Done loads of form work and concreting and steel fixing and many a shoddy job I seen. No pride in their work at all, putting pipes in we're ever it suits and just let the plumber worry bout it, 9 out of 10 times it would have to be kango'd out, wasting a day nearly per pipe. They don't listen to the engineers or PM's either, not that they know everything either but at least if the engineer tells you to do it his way then when the sh1t hits the fan it's his own fault. They all like to think their the boss or supervisor too even when they haven't got a clue what their on about, even on basics like setting levels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Well I'm employed full time in Ireland by a company now that is working full time rectifying work done during the great pyramid scheme so not just a Austrailan problem I suggest, we have at least another 12 months lined up with more on the way of trying to get things right.

Be careful what irish " tradesmen" you ask the opinion of, the young fellas who did their time during the 10 years of rubbish did not learn how to finnish to a standard they learnt how to bodge, and as a result are now essentially unemployable, the Blocklayers, Painters, Plasterering trades are especially blighted with chancers who left school early picked up a Brush or what ever and were calling themselves a Blocklayer, Painter, Plasterer by the end of the day, some did a proper apprenticeship but are few and far between.
    Then you have the former office workers who entered a trade and within a week were driving a 4X4 towing a trailer and had his own work.
    aido79 wrote: »
    I'm not saying the irish are better tradesmen but I do think we work to a higher standard. I'm just wondering what other tradies think.

I will get back to this when I'm able to find a Triple Face Palm, I fear 2 just won't cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Where I am I find the basic materials they use cheap and nasty, galvanised roofs for fecks sake!! plenty of money spent of the finishes and as for insulation dont get me started!! The builders around me are poor at setting out and levels even though the place is practiclly flat. :eek:

In Ireland I have come across both good and bad builders / trades too, but our basic structural materials were to a much higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ed the Builder

Just to clarify Lads

Blocklayer is not a trade!!! and never will be, the correct title is Brick/Stone Layer a qualified time served Bolton street college man like myself can lay any type of brick and stone in any design any format in fact tiling is not a full trade it is part of the brickies trade anything with a joint and mortar we learn to do, these lumpers you speak of can throw concrete blocks together and thats it.Whats happening in OZ is just a replica of what happened here greed and more greed.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify Lads

Blocklayer is not a trade!!! and never will be.

It is still referred to as a Trade in Australia with a Apprenticeship served, even though its competency based i think I recall, it's been a few years since I worked back in Oz.

"Getting your trade certificate in bricklaying

Obtaining a trade certificate in bricklaying begins with an apprenticeship."

http://www.becomeabricklayer.com.au/apprenticeships/get-qualified/getting-your-trade-certificate-in-bricklaying
    Whats happening in OZ is just a replica of what happened here greed and more greed.

Agree 100%, but you end up with some funny stories at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ed the Builder

The Aussie wrote: »
    It is still referred to as a Trade in Australia with a Apprenticeship served, even though its competency based i think I recall, it's been a few years since I worked back in Oz.

"Getting your trade certificate in bricklaying

Obtaining a trade certificate in bricklaying begins with an apprenticeship."

http://www.becomeabricklayer.com.au/apprenticeships/get-qualified/getting-your-trade-certificate-in-bricklaying

Agree 100%, but you end up with some funny stories at the end of it.

Yes of course bricklaying is a trade my point exactly I think you have misunderstood me its the blocklaying title that upsets us brickies thanks any way, I have had my skills assesed and have my level three AQF certificate in bricklaying and my PR visa all set to go just waiting to the car!

No I understood, same as old Painters prefer to be called Decorators or calling Renderers in Oz Plasterers, its all semantics really as people still know what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

aido79 wrote: »
    As an electrician I have seen alot of terrible electrical work in Australia. I've seen stuff that would not be seen as safe or passable in Ireland.It just seems to be the quickest and cheapest way to do a job is used every time with no pride being taken in how it looks. I'm not saying the irish are better tradesmen but I do think we work to a higher standard. I'm just wondering what other tradies think.

Some of electrical work I have seen people should have do jail for, I once watched Abdul & Mohammed Bodgy Brothers take 2 days to install a 415V Isolation/Bypass box for a UPS in a Public Hospital and totally f**k it up. Had to fix that myself.

Also seen some really unsafe work, wrong diameter core used, wiring not terminated properly. Basic stuff. Mains sockets in bathrooms and lights witches what the story with that.

I stayed in a house for a few weeks and not 1 room was close to square, every wall was off by a good distance, no angle beading on internal corners. Big slopes in nearly every floor. Single glazed windows is a joke, I always thought Argon filled double glazing kept out the heat as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

One of the houses I lived in was a shocker literally, it was built less than 10 years ago and when it rained really heavily water would piss out of the sizzling light switch in the living room.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Mains sockets in bathrooms and lights witches what the story with that.

Slightly off topic, but I was looking into this a while ago, I found out you can legally do it in the Uk as long as the socket is further than 2.7m away from Zone 1 ( edge of Bath or Shower Tray) and does not include Wash Basins.

In Australia it has been that way for as long as I remember, the smallest distance in Zone 1 is smaller than the UK regulations,

Bathroom zones
    For the purpose of wiring regulations, bathrooms are divided into four zones, in accordance with the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules (AS/NZS 3000:2007). These are as follows:

Zone 0 - This covers interior area of the base of the bath or shower.

Zone 1 - This zone is divided into three sections, depending on what you have installed:

Bath - For a bathtub, Zone 1 is the vertical area from the inner rim of the bath to the ceiling, or 2.5m above the rim, whichever is lower (this usually encomepasses zone 0 too).
    Shower over a bath - The area with a horizontal radius of 1.2m from the fixed plumbing connection of the shower (i.e. 1.2m out from the shower outlet).
    Shower - The area with a horizontal radius of 1.2m from the fixed plumbing connection of the shower. The vertical boundaries of this area extend from the floor to the ceiling, or up to 2.5m above the floor, whichever is lower.
    Zone 2 - This is the area with a horizontal radius of 0.6m out from Zone 1, and a height of 2.25m above the floor (or to the ceiling, whichever is lower).

Zone 3 - This is the area with a horizontal radius of 2.4m out from Zone 2. The vertical boundaries of this area extend from floor to ceiling or up to 2.5m above the floor, whichever is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

mandrake04 wrote: »

Some of electrical work I have seen people should have do jail for, I once watched Abdul & Mohammed Bodgy Brothers take 2 days to install a 415V Isolation/Bypass box for a UPS in a Public Hospital and totally f**k it up. Had to fix that myself.

Also seen some really unsafe work, wrong diameter core used, wiring not terminated properly. Basic stuff. Mains sockets in bathrooms and lights witches what the story with that.

I've seen lots of stuff like that. To be honest I don't really have a problem with sockets and switches in bathrooms as long as they are on rcd's. I think electric showers in Ireland are probably more dangerous.

Today I saw a guy installing lino after the skirting boards went it. This is just another example of shoddy work.
    During the boom in Ireland everyone wanted a piece of the action and there were alot of cowboys chancing their arms at various trades which resulted in sub standard workmanship. However this seems to be almost the norm in Australia.
    Companies also seem very reluctant to take on apprentices here which means there will probably always be a skills shortage in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itoa

Best one I have seen in OZ is when people's roofs get blown off in a cyclone and they complain that it isnt the first time its happened them. Then they go and put the same type of roof back on the house! Guess whats going to happen in two years from now.....the roof blows off!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rightyabe wrote: »
    I always thought Argon filled double glazing kept out the heat as well?
    No, they don't work the same both ways.
    Double/Triple/argon/ etc reduces heat leaving the house via conduction. The majority of heat entering through a window is via radiation.

There is a slight reduction in heat entering through a non single glazed window, but its no where near the extra heat retained. The net effect will be over heating.

I've noticed saddle boards are skipped in favour for making up level differences in the subfloor. Which is a great detail, except nobody bothers with the subfloor part and turns out awful.

Itoa wrote: »
    Best one I have seen in OZ is when people's roofs get blown off in a cyclone and they complain that it isnt the first time its happened them. Then they go and put the same type of roof back on the house! Guess whats going to happen in two years from now.....the roof blows off!

It's either a trade off between Roof Tiles and a Corrigated Iron Roof.
    -Cement Tiles get smashed in a Hail Storm or Cyclone
    -Corrigated Iron get blown off in a Cyclone

Guess which is quicker, cheaper and easier to replace?

It's either a trade off between Roof Tiles and a Corrigated Iron Roof.
    -Cement Tiles get smashed in a Hail Storm or Cyclone
    -Corrigated Iron get blown off in a Cyclone

Guess which is quicker, cheaper and easier to replace?

Don't the yanks use rubber shingles? A very flexible yet durable solution. I think having a 3 foot soffit wouldnt help either.

Mellor wrote: »
    No, they don't work the same both ways.
    Double/Triple/argon/ etc reduces heat leaving the house via conduction. The majority of heat entering through a window is via radiation.

There is a slight reduction in heat entering through a non single glazed window, but its no where near the extra heat retained. The net effect will be over heating.

I've noticed saddle boards are skipped in favour for making up level differences in the subfloor. Which is a great detail, except nobody bothers with the subfloor part and turns out awful.

Double and triple glazing will reduce the heat coming through the window, up to close to 50% in some cases of triple glazing but as Mellor says there would be a problem with overheading especially if you used the levels of insulation used in Europe. Careful design with the use of orientation, shading, suitable ventilation and airtightness strategy can reduce and or eliminate overheating but you are talking of designing to passive or similar levels which would scare the living daylights out of the average aussie builder IMO. I find some of them have difficulty in doing simple drawings like elevations. :eek:

Over here in WA they don't bother subfloors and screeds, its a concrete slab and thats it and only 100mm thick at that!!

Don't the yanks use rubber shingles? A very flexible yet durable solution.

Would not have a clue what the Yanks do to be honest, but if the Shingles are black that would not be to much fun when the temperature get over 40.
    I think having a 3 foot soffit wouldnt help either.

The 3 foot Eaves keep as much Sun off the Walls during the hottest part of the day, any more and your better going for a Verandah.
    No6 wrote: »
    Over here in WA they don't bother subfloors and screeds, its a concrete slab and thats it and only 100mm thick at that!!

That has more to do with the type of Loam they are building on more than the standard of Construction.
    Careful design with the use of orientation, shading, suitable ventilation and airtightness strategy can reduce and or eliminate overheating but you are talking of designing to passive or similar levels which would scare the living daylights out of the average aussie builder IMO. I find some of them have difficulty in doing simple drawings like elevations. :eek:

Are you not the Bloke who thought a Rifle had to be re-barrelled because of the Coriolis Effect on a Projectile???

That has more to do with the type of Loam they are building on more than the standard of Construction.

Where I am they have reactive and highly reactive soils, ie they move when they get wet, so lets make the floor as thin as we can possibley get away with, this has a lot to do with the standrad of construction which in my opinion in WA is geared more toward Big builders making huge profits for poor quality work, yes it will finish up lovely but its whats underneath that I have a problem with
    Are you not the Bloke who thought a Rifle had to be re-barrelled because of the Coriolis Effect on a Projectile???
    just because you dont like what I am saying about what I am seeing here in Australian construction dosn't mean you have to resort to personal digs. Was it not you who told me this in the first place?

• Advertisement

Where I am they have reactive and highly reactive soils, ie they move when they get wet, so lets make the floor as thin as we can possibley get away with, this has a lot to do with the standrad of construction which in my opinion in WA is geared more toward Big builders making huge profits for poor quality work, yes it will finish up lovely but its whats underneath that I have a problem with

"Concrete slabs must be installed in accordance with Australian Standard AS 2870. In Western Australia the most common slab thickness is between 85mm and 100mm. This thickness will be stated in the specifications document which forms part of your contractual arrangements with the builder.

Most Perth building sites are flat and sandy so an 85mm slab would be sufficient for single storey residential construction. If you are building a two-storey home and/or in the hills, engineering requirements usually require a 100mm slab, with thickening under internal walls."

So it meets or exceeds your original statement of "100mm of Concrete if that".
    Besides its the footings/foundation that its tied down to with steel reinforcing that is what you should be worried about as the Slab is essentially just a Raft

http://www.mbawa.com/custom/mba_directory.asp?SID=33

This might also be a good read for you as we'll.

http://www.concrete.net.au/publications/pdf/Res%20Floors%20Web.pdf
    just because you dont like what I am saying about what I am seeing here in Australian construction dosn't mean you have to resort to personal digs.

Petty Dig #1
    would scare the living daylights out of the average aussie builder IMO

Petty Dig #2
    I find some of them have difficulty in doing simple drawings like elevations.
    Was it not you who told me this in the first place?

Does not sound like something I would say.

I love these "We are better than them" whingefest type threads, as its boils down to be a Human Nature thing, not an Australian thing or a Irish thing.
    You get the Good, Bad and the Crap in every industry everywhere in the World.
    Although this one is particularly funny as my whole job for the past 2 years has been centred around rectifying poor workmanship here in Ireland.

My point about the 3 foot soffit was that in a storm it would catch a lot of wind, I'm aware it's to shade the house as much as possible.

About the rubber shingles, America can get pretty warm to, but I'm aware that American houses have to be geared for extreme cold too so the specs for the roof insulation would be different also. So if Australian specs were improved rubber shingles shouldn't be a problem.

Also for a city like Perth which is quite dry compared to Ireland. I can never understand why so many new house have rising damp issues. If a sprinkler close to the house which only goes on twice a week can cause it, then surely sub standard construction legislation is ultimately at fault.

"Concrete slabs must be installed in accordance with Australian Standard AS 2870. In Western Australia the most common slab thickness is between 85mm and 100mm. This thickness will be stated in the specifications document which forms part of your contractual arrangements with the builder.
    The exactly the point. The industry standard is low. The minimum mark that builders are held to is low.
    Petty Dig #1
    Petty Dig #2
    How were they personal digs? Paranoid much.
    I love these "We are better than them" whingefest type threads, as its boils down to be a Human Nature thing, not an Australian thing or a Irish thing.
    You get the Good, Bad and the Crap in every industry everywhere in the World.
    Although this one is particularly funny as my whole job for the past 2 years has been centred around rectifying poor workmanship here in Ireland.
    I love these threads where you assume it's your duty to defend 'stray-ya.

I fully agree its human nature. People will cut corners to make a few quid if they can. But that's not what the above posts were about. There's a fundamental difference between cowboys cutting corners and the minimum industry standard being sub par. Which some of them are.

That's not to say its sub par in all areas of course. There's a couple of the BCA regs that go beyond the Irish regs.

Also for a city like Perth which is quite dry compared to Ireland. I can never understand why so many new house have rising damp issues. If a sprinkler close to the house which only goes on twice a week can cause it, then surely sub standard construction legislation is ultimately at fault.

If a new house it should be covered by a 10 year builders warranty, so a claim should be lodged if it is the case.
    The exactly the point. The industry standard is low. The minimum mark that builders are held to is low.

It is exactly that, a Minimum Standard, you can specify you want more/better at the contract stage, or look at something else. Simples.
    How were they personal digs? Paranoid much.

Petty Dig = a generalisation in a attempt to make one feel important.
    I love these threads where you assume it's your duty to defend 'stray-ya.

Someone has to give balance to the whinge fest, imagine the whaling about how good the failed Irish Construction Industry is if someone did not point out how it's essentially crippled to such a stage that its a case of Retrain or Emigrate for the vast majority of its former workers, on the bright side all the good workers still have a job, all the chancers are gone...

If a new house it should be covered by a 10 year builders warranty, so a claim should be lodged if it is the case.

It is exactly that, a Minimum Standard, you can specify you want more/better at the contract stage, or look at something else. Simples.

Petty Dig = a generalisation in a attempt to make one feel important.

Someone has to give balance to the whinge fest, imagine the whaling about how good the failed Irish Construction Industry is if someone did not point out how it's essentially crippled to such a stage that its a case of Retrain or Emigrate for the vast majority of its former workers, on the bright side all the good workers still have a job, all the chancers are gone...

And you think pointing out the Irish construction industry is crippled is giving balance to the topic of construction standards? I think it's no where near the point to be honest as the Irish construction industry was not crippled by its buildings standards.

So your point is redundant. It's like blaming the weatherman for the weather.

I know, a glib reply to a glib statement, my bad.

We could start a thread over on After Hours the sump of Boards.ie and wait for the 100's of replies about how good the standards are of people's houses are here in Ireland.

Which neatly dovetails into that its a Human Nature thing

Well I am delighted you are rectifying the poor workmanship you come accross in Ireland, of course if your job is to do that thats pretty much all you are going to see!!

I deal with Austrialian builders every day and have actually come across some who dont know what an elevation is they certainly were unable to draw one when asked for it. The standard of insulation required by the BCA is pathetic in comparison to Ireland, single glazing is still standard in Western Australia at least. These are not digs they are my actual experience here.

Are you now calling us chancers because we have gone? you really cannot help yourself!! if thats not a dig then what is?? A lot of the best workers have also gone, they have been hired by Australian companies because there isn't enough qualified Australians available. The actual reason a lot of people are gone is that the construction industry has declined about 90% from the peak of the boom

If you wish to have a thread on the poor quality of construction in Ireland why don't you head over to the construction section and post there, there plenty of people whom will agree with you. This thread is about the standard of construction in Australia.

Well I am delighted you are rectifying the poor workmanship you come accross in Ireland, of course if your job is to do that thats pretty much all you are going to see!!

I'm delighted as well, I'm on a great Wicket here, the same wages as in 2006 but a free Van with Fuel and a work phone. Happy Days all round.
    Are you now calling us chancers because we have gone? you really cannot help yourself!! if thats not a dig then what is??

Nah no dig there, a statement of fact, anyone still here who has weathered the storm thus far that I deal with has been doing something right, the incompetent ones are gone. I don't know where and I don't care to be honest, so yes the chancers are gone.
    If you wish to have a thread on the poor quality of construction in Ireland why don't you head over to the construction section and post there

No thanks, that would imply I respect on my behalf.
    This thread is about the standard of construction in Australia.

The Thread title is not what the subject in the original post covers, see below.
    wrote:
    I'm not saying the irish are better tradesmen but I do think we work to a higher standard. I'm just wondering what other tradies think.

And on that point alone I refuse to say "ah gees lads, your a mighty bunch" when everyday it stares me in the face the exact opposite. Whether or not The Construction Industry in Australia is in need of a major shake up to get all the drug fueled bogans out is a totally different topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod lads enough. Aussie it doesn't have to be your duty on all threads to defend Australia whenever someone has an issue. The last 10posts have just gone round and round. Either move on or thread closed.

• Advertisement

My point was that the minimum standard is low. The fact you are saying "it's just the minimum standard" would agree with that. The reality is most jobs don't specify higher.
    You haven't actually disagreed with any of my point and just keep ranting about Irish work. It's a sunny Sunday morning and I don't see the point in continuing to go in circles. Slán

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement