Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing decorative internal window

Options
  • 27-02-2013 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi folks,

just bought a house and there is some glass in the wall between living room and hall. It's thirty years old toughened yellow glass which is a bit ugly but in a nice hardwood frame (with six panels). So we were thinking of replacing the glass and keeping the frame. The whole thing is around 140cm high by 170cm wide.

If we use glass to replace the glass we would need it to be reinforced and to avoid having one monotonous colour we were going to get a bit of a design cut into coloured glass. Unfortunately this is not cheap! My question is are there any cheaper options such as plexiglass type stuff that would look ok on a large inside window?

thanks for any suggestions!
    Aidan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Glass paint and decorative lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aidan.c

thanks stoneill.

do you mean paint over the existing glass and also use some lead?

i guess painting over it would block any light. if possible we would like to keep the transparency.
    cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

He means the paint that makes it looks like stained glass when its finished

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aidan.c

thanks builditwell.
    from googling the glass paint suggestion i see you can do some diy glass painting with stencils and liquid lead, but it looks like a reasonable amount of work if the glass is large.
    Some Dublin stained glass shops also offer imitation glass which is roughly half the price of the real thing (a film is used to coat different areas of a single sheet of glass).
    so it looks like those are the three options (diy paint, imitation and real).

thanks all!

Advertisement