Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone is going to get hurt, most likely a kid at Colmcille's

Options
  • 27-02-2013 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

My daughter and I nearly got knocked off our bikes this morning on the way to school, there was also a lady walking with her dog who was very lucky.
    Some parents who are dropping their kids to St Colmcille's via the Sancta Maria/Ballyboden St Endas GAA gate are not stopping as they exit by the gate. Their is a path and a cycle track between the gate and the main road and some drivers just feel that they don't have to stop and look, apparently it's ok to just fly through the gate and forget about the dozen blind spots.
    More of a rant but if you have kids travelling to one of the many schools in that location may be let them know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Contact the school and alert them to this

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One of the many reasons why I don't use cycle paths.

There's a yield road marking before the cycle path. If it occurs again, make a note of the driver's reg and report them to the Gardai for failing to yield.

I would also alert the school, they may stick up a sign inside the gate saying, "Watch out for cyclists and pedestrians when exiting".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

I contacted the principal of Colmcille's and Rathfarnham gardai and they did seem genuinely concerned.
    So hopefully something gets sorted. I did suggest a big stop sign at the gate.

seamus wrote: »
    There's a yield road marking before the cycle path. If it occurs again, make a note of the driver's reg and report them to the Gardai for failing to yield.

My blood was boiling and as a result I didn't even think of getting the reg number till after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Good stuff. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I contacted the principal of Colmcille's and Rathfarnham gardai and they did seem genuinely concerned.
    So hopefully something gets sorted. I did suggest a big stop sign at the gate.

Perhaps reasonable sized Speed Bumps on the exit prior to both tracks would be a better alternative to signage. Try as we may some idiots just dont read signs.

listermint wrote: »
    Perhaps reasonable sized Speed Bumps on the exit prior to both tracks would be a better alternative to signage. Try as we may some idiots just dont read signs.

There is a bump right at the gate but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe they need to make it a bit steeper at the front which would require the car to slow right down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I noticed this on Tuesday as I was cycling past, I stopped on the median just in case and sure enough two cars flew out without even looking at the path/cycle lan.

Tragedy wrote: »
    I noticed this on Tuesday as I was cycling past, I stopped on the median just in case and sure enough two cars flew out without even looking at the path/cycle lan.

It's only a matter of time and nothing done about it this morning:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

My daughter and I nearly got knocked off our bikes this morning on the way to school, there was also a lady walking with her dog who was very lucky.
    Some parents who are dropping their kids to St Colmcille's via the Sancta Maria/Ballyboden St Endas GAA gate are not stopping as they exit by the gate. Their is a path and a cycle track between the gate and the main road and some drivers just feel that they don't have to stop and look, apparently it's ok to just fly through the gate and forget about the dozen blind spots.
    More of a rant but if you have kids travelling to one of the many schools in that location may be let them know.

Take some videos on your phone and post them on YouTube - let the world see what's going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement