Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass bottles for Base Liquid

Options
  • 27-02-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where to get glass bottles (500ml or 1ltr) for base eliquid?? I assume the caps need to be chemically resistant??

I'm looking at longterm freezer storage...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Homeopathy bottles would do the trick...a search on ebay should throw up something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Excuse my ignorance here but would glass not crack when liquid expands when frozen? Only asking cause im looking for storage solutions myself.

It won't completely freeze...anti-freeze is one of the components of PG

'anti-freeze'?? Lovely!!!

it's safe.....pg is used in food flavourings apparently

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i thought you meant pg is one of the components of anti freeze...

kind of an important distinction to make :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yeah, there are different types of antifreeze, PG is the type that keeps ice-cream machines' pipes from choking on crusty frozen goo.
    Very safe unless drunk by the litre. Try not to do that.

Won't freeze unless you've got a liquid nitrogen freezer or live in Antarctica or other unliveable (to me) places.

I have some bottles of eliquid in the freezer since the Christmas before last and they're not frozen. I'd say a day at room temp and they'd be well thawed out and ready to vape.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Isn't it right to say PG can be used as an anti-freeze, the same way salt can be used as an anti-freeze?

(However usually they don't use salt as an antifreeze in at least engines because salt can corrode metal.)

So really... the word "anti-freeze" shouldn't be the scary thing... it's the chemical that's used as anti-freeze that is.

Would I be right or wrong in saying that? I've used it before in an argument when someone once said about ecigs containing anti-freeze. They seemed to think it was logical, so even know I'm not 100% sure myself I got away with it on that occasion :)

p.s. if you find something ultra-suitable for freezing nic juice let us know. When the time comes closer I'll bulk buy then. I'm still hoping / holding out this doesn't come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

My VG seemed to actually contract after a day in the freezer...

Can't seem to find any big homeopathy bottles on ebay, at least not .ie or .co.uk??

Just thinking Grolsch bottles would probably do the trick. Also an excuse to work drinking beer into the process :)

• Advertisement

illicit007 wrote: »
    Would I be right or wrong in saying that?

You were right. Their argument is equivalent to the Dihydrogen Monoxide hoax.

grindle wrote: »
    You were right. Their argument is equivalent to the Dihydrogen Monoxide hoax.

to be fair, that **** can ****ing kill you.

to be fair, that **** can ****ing kill you.

tumblr_m2hz6hR62p1r54225.gif

Gryzor wrote: »
    My VG seemed to actually contract after a day in the freezer...

Can't seem to find any big homeopathy bottles on ebay, at least not .ie or .co.uk??

Just thinking Grolsch bottles would probably do the trick. Also an excuse to work drinking beer into the process :)

http://homeopathysuppliesireland.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=130

Would these things do? I'm guessing they would/....

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/50213546/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Just asking -- but whats wrong with plastic ?

I guess it depends on the plastic being used. We've all heard of certain juices degrading certain types of plastic tanks and them developing hairline cracks and stuff. I guess glass is just better.

was.deevey wrote: »
    Just asking -- but whats wrong with plastic ?

Plastics leach toxins over time. Heat quickens the process(es) but eventually it will happen no matter what temperature, no matter what plastic.
    Different plastics leach different toxins in different levels so some are less dangerous than others no matter what the liquid, but Propyl Glycol is known for it's plastic-absorbent properties.
    Nicotine also corrodes plastic over time, leaching MORE into the liquid until we all become vague Irish approximations of Pamela Anderson.

Plastics leach toxins over time. Heat quickens the process(es) but eventually it will happen no matter what temperature, no matter what plastic.
    Different plastics leach different toxins in different levels so some are less dangerous than others no matter what the liquid, but Propyl Glycol is known for it's plastic-absorbent properties.
    Nicotine also corrodes plastic over time, leaching MORE into the liquid until we all become vague Irish approximations of Pamela Anderson.
    HOW THE F*CK DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS STUFF?????????????

• Advertisement

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    HOW THE F*CK DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS STUFF?????????????

I was born with a Salmon of Knowledge in place of a heart.

Or - possibly more likely - as with any of my hobbies I become obsessed and must know everything about it. To the unfortunate detriment of other hobbies. :(
    Seems to happen to a lot of us on the forums, so run away while you can!
    Get some Digby-cocks mini eGos, the A7oid w/A7, learn to build and be set free!

But I'm holding out on that Salmon of Knowledge, and it can't be disproven until I have surgery due to an unfortunate bacon and alcohol related ailment.

As much as I want to I cant run away, I'm hooked, just like the salmon of knol........dry!!!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I guess it depends on the plastic being used. We've all heard of certain juices degrading certain types of plastic tanks and them developing hairline cracks and stuff. I guess glass is just better.

Could be wrong but I thought that was only an issue with PolyCarbonate tubes, whereas regular bottles that juice is stored in is polypropylene which would not have the discoloration/cracking issues...certainly not for plain ol nic concentrate anyhow as its close to being clear in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jd1959

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you keep an eye on the Homebrewing forum they often talk about places to get glass bottles cheap. The "grolsch" swing cap type would probably be most suitable, they usually come in either 500ml or 750ml sizes.

stevenmu wrote: »
    If you keep an eye on the Homebrewing forum they often talk about places to get glass bottles cheap. The "grolsch" swing cap type would probably be most suitable, they usually come in either 500ml or 750ml sizes.
    Like in Digby's link?
    Not sure why he thinks it's expensive, the glass jars work out less expensive than a lot of vendors' 10ml plastic bottles, you just need to buy a lot of them.
    I remember some vendor giving tips on long term storage before and they recommended cobalt bottles for UV protective purposes as light is the most degrading factor (well, besides leaving a bottle half-full of air).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Like in Digby's link?
    Yep, like those, but you can probably get them cheaper, they seem expensive to me too. If you think about it, they're €2+ a bottle and that's the bulk price. For that price you could walk into an off-license and pick up a few bottles for the same unit price, and get some bonus beer thrown in too :) Homebrewing shops will also sell them for about the same price but in lower unit quantities. Homebrewwest.ie have some good ones, they also have a 2l glass demijohn john too which might be of some use.

If you get brown bottles that should give a good amount of protection from light too. Beer has the same problem, light does awful things to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 toadinhole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Think I'd prefer to stay away from aluminium for long term storage.

Got a few Grolsch bottles last night, should do the trick methinks..

• Advertisement
Advertisement