Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby swimming

Options
  • 27-02-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on taking young babies into the pool? We are eager to get ours used to water as soon as possible, is 8 weeks too young? We got him a baby wetsuit. I have been looking around the net and getting very mixed opinions in terms of what temperature the water should be and whether he should have his vaccinations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

The sooner the better I would say.
    Personally I'd make sure he has his vaccinations.
    As for the temp of the water, most pools will be cool, it's not like getting into a bath so it could take some time to get used to it.
    Playing around though will warm him up

R

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was told that the pool should be 30 degrees, but that also most pools are that temperature anyway. If you ring and ask, they usually know.

We brought our guy when he was 12 weeks - I just wanted him to have his first vaccinations but that was a personal preference, and its entirely up to you if you want to bring them earlier.

The wetsuit is brilliant at keeping them warm for longer but even so, an hour tops is the time you would really spend in the pool. We did a baby swimming lesson, which I'd highly recommend, as it teaches you how to safely enter the water with the baby, and teaches you the basics. Our guy is restarting the lessons this weekend, its 4 weeks then you pay as you go.

Bring a towel poolside to wrap the baby in when you get out of the pool. After you shower with the baby, wrap them up again while you quickly take your togs off and dry off. Then wrap yourself in a towel and get baby dry and dressed. I found a fleecy, baggy babygro the best to put on them - they are dressed in no time. One woman beside me was trying to wrestle her 3mth old daughter into tights and I had my guy and me dressed and him fed by the time those tights were on. Wear quick clothes yourself - I wore flip-flops, trackkie bottoms and a t-shirt. I usually have another proper shower at home and do the hair etc then.

I used to put him back in the car seat while I got dressed but if my partner comes along, he gets out of the pool earlier than me, and once I have baby dressed and ready, I hand him out to him and get ready myself.

Baby will be hungry after that big swim so have a feed ready. :) They also sleep great after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on taking young babies into the pool? We are eager to get ours used to water as soon as possible, is 8 weeks too young? We got him a baby wetsuit. I have been looking around the net and getting very mixed opinions in terms of what temperature the water should be and whether he should have his vaccinations.
    We put our daughter in the outside pool last summer, she was 8 weeks old. We had a neckring (inflatable ring you wear around your neck and simulates non-gravity, babies loooooove it) and the water was between 25 and 28. She went absolutely mental for it, she was swimming around herself and loved the freedom of movement. One time the water went below 25 and she was too cold. Once she turned about 3 months she was more interested in playing with the ring so it wasn't working so well, she didn't enjoy being carried in the water as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ours was just past the 6 week vaccinations when we brought her first. The first pool I went too I found way too difficult with changing her in the cubicles. Find one with open plan changing facilities if you can.

They love it. We still go every week.

On temperature, if you have a wetsuit they can take lower temperatures. We have a pool near us that is 32degrees... very handy. She just has a swim nappy for that. Lower than 28 and I'd be putting more on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I've been bringing my little one since she had her 1st set of jabs - and she's 16 months now. We do swimming lessons in our local pool every week - much cheaper than the official ones out there.
    I've always had her in a wetsuit & feel so sorry for the babies in normal swimsuits because they look like they're freezing. My other half used to come with us & get her changed for me, he'd watch from the observation window & just as we were getting out, he'd come through to the meet me with the bag of clothes & the car seat. Now that she's older we go on our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Where did u go for swimming lessons?

Ive emailed a few places but again got mixed report on ages. Id like to take her after her 6 week jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I go to the Tallaght Leisure Centre, so it really depends on where you live. Clondalkin pool also do them.

Advertisement