Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killing animals that attack humans

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Standard human idiocy. We're about 2mm away from being complete savages so this kind of mindless nonsense never surprises me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

seamus wrote: »
    Standard human idiocy. We're about 2mm away from being complete savages so this kind of mindless nonsense never surprises me.

It never surprises me that the claim that they get a taste for humans is pure speculation, sharks apparently don't like the taste of humans, so why the police in NZ killed the shark I would never know.

We also share the same space as animals and expect them not to attack us. It's incredible that we kill animals for food, not that I'm a vegetarian, and expect animals not to attack us, not that I would put myself into that enviroment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ush1 wrote: »
    Like on a nature show when a lion kills a gazelle and the camera crew don't step in, "that's just nature". Wonder would they say the same if the lion caught a hold of Attenborough.

He'd probably narrate it :P

'As the lion rips my arm off and eats it, look at the power of this magnificent beast...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

nucker wrote: »
    It never surprises me that the claim that they get a taste for humans is pure speculation, sharks apparently don't like the taste of humans, so why the police in NZ killed the shark I would never know.

Where does it say they killed the shark(s)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

nucker wrote: »

We also share the same space as animals and expect them not to attack us. It's incredible that we kill animals for food, not that I'm a vegetarian, and expect animals not to attack us, not that I would put myself into that enviroment

They don't normally go for humans, but sharks have been known to attack surfers/bodyboarders in turbulant water where visibility is poor. A surfer of a board looks roughly like a seal to a shark.
    Sharks nose or bite to 'taste' unfamiliar objects first, unfortunately a 'taste' can be fatal.
    I'm not a fan of bait balling/shark cage diving, makes sharks associate the presence of humans with food. Not a good thing IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Where To wrote: »
    Sharks have no legs.

Makes it even easier to shoot the treacherous sea freaks :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It would be nice to see a Great White walk into a restaurant and slaughter the customers for eating shark fin soup. We eat them, so it's only fair that they are entitled to eat us when we enter their domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Though I don't agree with it, I'm pretty sure that as others have said, the animal is killed because it has discovered that hey, people are easy to kill!

I'm a tree-hugging animal loving vegan but when an animal starts specifically targeting humans then it's understandable that it cannot be allowed to continue. This, however, is very rare. I can only think of one example, and that was the mountain lion in America that started specifically targeting bikers.

Mostly the animals are just doing what they've done hundreds of times, but instead of the victim being another wild animal it's a human. They don't deserve to die for that.

I really hate when they kill captive wild animals for attacking humans though. Some eejit has a tiger in a pen in his garden, goes to feed it one day and it kills him. What do we gain from shooting that animal? It lives in captivity anyway, it's not like it could start to hunt humans. It's supposed to be aggressive so they can't claim that it has suddenly started looking at people like dinner.

Not to mention that tigers are in danger of becoming extinct, but we still shoot without hesitation when it acts like a tiger and attacks someone.

That's not being logical, there's no justifiable reason for that. It's just human selfishness and revenge seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Is there actually evidence that wild animals tend to attack people more if they've done it once?

It makes sense with dogs because they're domesticated so if they can do it once that's demonstration of their behaviour.

With wild animals we already know that they'd eat people given half a chance. If it was actually about protecting people it seems that we'd just kill all predators in contact with humans preemptively.

It seems like it's about some insane notion of vengeance against an animal that has absolutely no ability to understand abstract thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think it's sad when animals that are kept in enviroments like a circus are killed when they attack somone.

They are ofton treated very badly but instead of killing the waste of air that beats them it's ofton an audience member who gets killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Had to be done, shark had developed a taste for human meat.
    With regards to sharks encroaching on public beaches, why are they there? Is it something to do with over-fishing the waters? Are they coming to parts of the ocean where they wouldn't normally be in search of more food?

Do you think dangling humans in front of Great Whites, but not letting them eat them as they are in cages might have somthing to do with it.

Could I make a plea and ask if you are visiting Oz or South Africa to stop doing this silly nonsense of "shark diving" - you are not diving with sharks you are just being a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If the attack is going on yes we should try and stop it and killing it is the most effective way of doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Had to be done, shark had developed a taste for human meat.

Bull. No evidence of this happening in any species except human maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I was just reading an article this morning about a man who was killed in a great white shark attack off the coast of New Zealand. After the guy had been killed, police went into the water and shot the shark. It's a very rare attack on a popular beach, but it got me thinking. We seem to do this with any animal attack against humans. In the documentary Grizzly Man, the bear that attacked and killed Timothy Treadwell was shot later on. It seems with alligator or crocodile attacks, it's the same thing. In pretty much any wild animal attack against humans, someone is sent out to find and kill the culprit.

I'm just wondering why this is. Humans are probably the most invasive creatures on the face of the planet, and it does seem as though a lot of the people who get killed in these attacks are people who are just asking for trouble and don't really have any respect for boundaries. After all, grizzly bears and alligators and great white sharks are predators, and if you think you can just trespass on the territories of dangerous wild animals, then you should expect some bad consequences. As sad as it all may be for the people involved, the animals seem to be just doing what is natural for them in their own habitat and it tends to be, for the most part, arrogance that gets these people killed.

Unless I'm missing something here. Is there some other possibly valid reason for this?

Some kind of revenge I suppose. Makes very little sense. Then again, humans make very little sense. I'm a human and I dont even understand us. A lot of the time I am ashamed to be human.

If we killed every human that attacked an animal??? (Wouldnt that be sweet lol)

At least this shark was probably just hungry. We kill for beauty, cosmetics, drugs, clothing, sport... the list is endless. And we dont stop at killing. We keep bears locked in cages all their lives with permanent open wounds so we can have some kind of funny sh1t oil? (only last week a mother bear who was being kept in these conditions actually killed herself and her cub when she heard him screaming as some guys punched a hole in his abdomen), we skin animals alive for fur, electrocute them up the "ss, boil live lobster and crab, throw male chicks into industrial blenders, drown puppies and kittens, feast on suckling pig and dont even get me started on foie gras :( Then there's the greyhounds who have their ears cut off so their syndicates cannot be identified, and the youths who throw dogs on bonfires or tie bangers to cats tails. Now we are back to live export of cattle to be slaughtered "halal" ie to be suspended and have their throats cut.

But yes, a hungry shark attacks someone silly enough to swim in his environment...and its war :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Some of them just take the piss though. Like wasps won't leave you alone if your just trying to have a nice picnic in the open air. They want to eat your jam sandwiches and if you refuse they sting you. Very bad manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Wattle wrote: »
    Some of them just take the piss though. Like wasps won't leave you alone if your just trying to have a nice picnic in the open air. They want to eat your jam sandwiches and if you refuse they sting you. Very bad manners.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Some states have the death penalty in place. Its more or less the same principle tbh. Important sure people would rationalise it in different ways though.

:pac: So there should be a shark court? Judge Chew-dy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

The bear who ate Timothy Treadwell should've been given a medal and a parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I think this is an apt picture and text for this situation. We see ourselves as the ultimate apex predator, but in reality, there are others out there well able to turn us to chow. We need to remember that, personally I would think that if a person is willing to knowingly swim in an area with sharks, it should really be left to a bit of Darwinism!

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/487281_10151449377174604_1649968924_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I think Katt Williams got it spot on here really.

The absolute ignorance of humans, thinking they should be allowed go into another animals natural habitat and take them out of it like were more important. Its sickening. If a shark attacks you in the water well hard luck, thats where he lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

MadsL wrote: »
    Could I make a plea and ask if you are visiting Oz or South Africa to stop doing this silly nonsense of "shark diving" - you are not diving with sharks you are just being a dick.

Jealous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Nothing attacks its prey with more ferociousness then the seaweed shark. The struggle...is soon over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Apex predator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

FFS

What do you want counselling for the Shark? Some kind of special permit leg-chewing allowance (index linked)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

No predator would kill these guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Jealous?

Not at all, my first dive was with raggedtooth sharks - without the poxy cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gbear wrote: »
    Is there actually evidence that wild animals tend to attack people more if they've done it once?
    Yes, mainly with larger predators (bears, the large cats, etc).
    With wild animals we already know that they'd eat people given half a chance.
    That's not what those who study the problem have said - they observe predators who have little exposure to humans choosing other prey until they are either exposed to humans through chance or by being injured sufficiently to not be able to hunt their normal prey, or just by being hungry enough to attack something new.
    Iceland sees a lot of the latter, when polar bears show up on the north side of the island after having floated there on floes from Greenland apparently - happens every few years and they immediately kill the bear. Then everyone gets all upset and don't bother listening to the police explain patiently that when dealing with a four to twelve hundred pound predator with six-inch fangs and claws, able to sustain a run two mph faster than Usain Bolt, you don't try to be nice. You gather up every firearm you can find and you shoot the thing as often as you can from as far away as you can, in as unfair a fight as you can possibly arrange, because being eaten alive isn't any fun at all and is murder on your dry-cleaning bill.

Advertisement