Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Irish in Mandurah

Options
  • 27-02-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi we are heading to Perth, me, my wife, two great boys age 15,10 looking to settle in Mandurah we are moving in the next 3/4 weeks any advice on areas sports clubs etc have done a lot of research online but is only gets you so far my boys are sport mad both play hurling, football and soccer they will miss the gaa as the nearest club there is quite far though. I heard their trying to get something going in Mandurah.Any and all help much appreciated schools clubs etc. looking to meet some like minded fun loving people any one with a love for the gaa extra bonus!!

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Hi we are heading to Perth, me, my wife, two great boys age 15,10 looking to settle in Mandurah we are moving in the next 3/4 weeks any advice on areas sports clubs etc have done a lot of research online but is only gets you so far my boys are sport mad both play hurling, football and soccer they will miss the gaa as the nearest club there is quite far though. I heard their trying to get something going in Mandurah.Any and all help much appreciated schools clubs etc. looking to meet some like minded fun loving people any one with a love for the gaa extra bonus!!

Thanks a lot

Mandurah is most famous for crabbing. If the boys like to fish, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Just seen on Facebook a few weeks back that they were setting up a GAA club in Mandurah.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ed the Builder

rightyabe wrote: »
    Just seen on Facebook a few weeks back that they were setting up a GAA club in Mandurah.

Yeah seen that thanks hopefully it will be up and running soon as it is a bit of a drive to Thornlie.

Yes cant wait now hoping to meet lots of Irish and hopefully boys make some new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marty1888

Hi, I am Marty from Donegal, been in Mandurah a year now. I am currently registrar with Mandurah celtics but its not lookin good for a club this season, we have everything ready to go but real lack of players. There are plenty of soccer, afl and rugby clubs your boys won't go bored!!

• Advertisement

Marty1888 wrote: »
    Hi, I am Marty from Donegal, been in Mandurah a year now. I am currently registrar with Mandurah celtics but its not lookin good for a club this season, we have everything ready to go but real lack of players. There are plenty of soccer, afl and rugby clubs your boys won't go bored!!

Thanks Marty

Hows life in Mandurah? is there many Irish kids about, worried about boys making friends do you have children? is there any suburbs/schools you would recommend?soory about all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Thanks Marty

is there many Irish kids about, worried about boys making friends do you have children?

Hey Ed. I know you're worried about your kids making friends but the Aussie kids are friendly too!!!

When I did my regional work, there was two young boys, 6 & 8, on the farm and they were lovely little guys. Smaller communities like Mandurah (as opposed to big cities like Sydney) are always going to have a greater sense of community.

Your boys may even benefit from the multi-culturalism that Australia throws their way. They will be a bit of a novelty for a short while (may even help them make friends) and then they'll fit in grand.

Don't focus so much on getting them Irish friends, they will meet lots of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Marty1888 wrote: »

Is it hurling or football Mandurah Celtics play Marry? I'm in Mandurah too, been back here about a month. I'm not the fittest person, but I wouldn't mind getting back into sport.

In regards to the kids, there's plenty of clubs around, there's sure to be something they like going on.

Ask away, We have a 5 year old son. He went to kindy last year and is going to pre primary this year, he loves it. Not sure bout secondary but primary have to take your kids if you live in their catchment area. Have u a job organised or what visa are you comin on?

It's football for now give me a txt or call on 0420386495,

• Advertisement

Hi Marty

Your right my post seemed very small minded 'im sure your well aware of how multi-cultural Dublin has become, both my boys were educated within the educate together system non religious and multi- denominational which has been a massive benefit to them both they have grown up with friends that were born in all different parts of the world.It was just from the gaa perspective that's all, my youngest is a keen hurler his coach is Johnny McCaffery Dublin senior hurling captain and his only request aged 10! is to have someone to play hurling wit, is it just adults at Mandurah Celtic? thanks Marty

That post was for Batgurl sorry Marty! heading over on the 489 end of March staying with friends in Wanneroo initially, Mandurah looks the best option for our visa, job sorted another mate in Freemantle big demand for brickies so they tell me, visa came through really quickly once we got it lodged, and only 6 weeks after state sponsorship including medicals so its all systems go at the minute.

Yeah ed, at the minute it is a men's intermediate team with a view to gettin hurling, underage and ladies team further down the pipeline. Hopefully we can get you involved as a player or maybe on the committee to help out!! By the way your kids will love this place and will bar the usual moving and resettling it will be worth it!

Cheers Marty

No problem helping out, my wife still plays Ladies Fball and trained a girls team,older boy could go minor if you get one organised, we have been very involved in our own club here and will be happy to get involved looking forward to it

Sounds great,
    We good do with a few more just to get it off the ground after that it will fly like everything else here. Keep in touch and if you need any more info just ask. If u have Facebook or twitter u will find Mandurah celtics.
    Come down visit us when u get to wanneroo

Advertisement