Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Runners for Shin Splints?

Options
  • 27-02-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is my first time in this forum so please....don't run me down :pac:

I took up running again in December after a good number of years. I was fine for the first 2 weeks or so, going for a 20 minute jog/walk every evening. After that though, I got shin splints and to this day I still get them and they are bad enough that I can't run for at elast a week at a time.

I know this is a bit pie-in-the-sky but I heard that Asics make a runner specifically to help prevent shin splints. Any truth to this? I'm currently running in a pair of New Balance but they aren't really that comfortable and can be kind of shocky.

I am aware that shin splints isn't just down to footwear but it also has to do with gait, technique etc. but I think changing footwear is on the cards anyway as the NB are a few yers old at this stage.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

There was a thread a while back which may be worth a read for you. Shoes are not gonna be a quick fix for any problem get to the root of the cause then see if the shoes are the issue before expecting them to cure your ailments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi all,

This is my first time in this forum so please....don't run me down :pac:

I took up running again in December after a good number of years. I was fine for the first 2 weeks or so, going for a 20 minute jog/walk every evening. After that though, I got shin splints and to this day I still get them and they are bad enough that I can't run for at elast a week at a time.

I know this is a bit pie-in-the-sky but I heard that Asics make a runner specifically to help prevent shin splints. Any truth to this? I'm currently running in a pair of New Balance but they aren't really that comfortable and can be kind of shocky.

I am aware that shin splints isn't just down to footwear but it also has to do with gait, technique etc. but I think changing footwear is on the cards anyway as the NB are a few yers old at this stage.

Thanks!

How old are the shoes? Old shoes can cause shin splints.

Also best approach is to find out if the shoe is the right shoe for you and maybe also pay a physio a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adavis58

You might go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes that will assess your gait and actually measure your foot.
    Do poper stretches, those can help with Shin Splints
    Put ice packs on your shins after you run.
    Also eat a banana a day that can help.
    Art
    <Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm aware that by getting new shoes, it more than likely won't cure my ailments but it's something that could help.

I bought the runners in 2010 when I took a fit of exercising but it didn't last that long, main reason being that I was still smoking at the time. I gave up last June and what I'm trying to do now is the real thing.

I don't actually know of any proper running shops where I could get the proper treatment. There's only 1 sports shop in my town that sells anything that even remotely resembles running shoes. They do have a good selection but the other shop is just sportswear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

There's some guys on here from time to time, think they are Brehon sports or something like that, based in Clonmel I think, if that's near enough to you.
    Otherwise, Amphibian King in Galway(Oranmore), Bray or Dublin(Ballymount), Runways in Dublin City Centre,John Buckleys in Cork all do gait analysis and recommendations on runners if you travel a bit.

I don't know if there's anyone in Limerick doing similar - but avoid the Elvery's "insole that fixes all ails" hard sell like the plague.
    There should be some good physios around, but make sure you get a recommendation of one who knows their running I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

There's some guys on here from time to time, think they are Brehon sports or something like that, based in Clonmel I think, if that's near enough to you.
    Otherwise, Amphibian King in Galway(Oranmore), Bray or Dublin(Ballymount), Runways in Dublin City Centre,John Buckleys in Cork all do gait analysis and recommendations on runners if you travel a bit.

I don't know if there's anyone in Limerick doing similar - but avoid the Elvery's "insole that fixes all ails" hard sell like the plague.
    There should be some good physios around, but make sure you get a recommendation of one who knows their running I would say.

Personally I suffered chronic shin splints on my right leg for two years when running in a pair of old addidas and then brooks glycerin. I have been running in Nike Air Pegasus for the last 6 months and have been relatively problem free. I would argue they are one of the most cushioned show on the market at present and do wonders for me. When new, they feel like standing on an air mattress or something similar. Downfall is they are quiet chunky and and not useful for speed sessions or intervals. They are more suited towards long runs. So far, I have gotten on famous with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Brehon Sports are in Ladywell St., Cashel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks Johnny, I'll be paying them a visit on Saturday :)

Advertisement