Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex Human Defiance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

More of the same that will do nicely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ummm....

yeah, I guess more of the same but with more customisation like the original deus ex

DXHR was fantastic though so either way I'm sure I'll be happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A colour aesthetic that has more tricks than 'gold'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Better designed boss fights/None at all and the retension of RPG elements as opposed to tossing them á la Mass Effect.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Either no boss fights or refine them, those sections felt like they belonged to a different game in DX:HR.

Other than that, I liked the game and I keep meaning to replay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was just looking at the PSN store online and saw Deus Ex for 15 quid. Tempted to get it to play through again. Bring on the sequel!

So, ye think they should keep the whole 'melee kill/subdue uses one energy cell' or go around meleeing (word?) at will.

I hated it using energy at first but looking back, it really made me use the other techniques, weapons and looking for shortcuts if I ran out of energy for a takedown.

Times like this make me really regret trading games :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What would I look from a sequel? Well just off the top of my head:

* More non-lethal weapons; the idea I couldn't bop people over the head with a wrench or baton was a bit stupid. In fact more non-lethal options across the board.

* Fewer cut-scenes for the take-downs; or at least make them skippable. At first they were cool, the 50th time? Just irritating.

* The boss battles. Jesus, that could be a thread in itself. If they make the battles another series of fight-only rooms I'll go spare. I demand kill-switches and non-lethal solutions!

* And on that note, less funnel-shaped map design in general. Whilst the warehouses and hubs felt suitably open-area, it was entirely obvious most maps tapered to a highly-scripted end sequence; usually the aforementioned boss battles. Though the most obnoxious example of this was the last scene, with the most passive multi-ending climax you can imagine.

* I actually enjoyed those conversation mini-games, so I'd like to see them return & maybe introduced in more sidequests (instead of being checkpoints in the main quest)

* and speaking of, more sidequests and hubs please! It was a shame that they disappeared quite abruptly in the latter half of the game. I understand that there were genuine plans to have more of them after visiting China, but I guess time & budget put paid to that idea.

* Hire better voice actors, maybe get some better scriptwriters; I loved the atmosphere and world-building, but some of the voice acting was so bad it just completely broke the suspension of disbelief. Ditto the sometimes dreadful dialogue.

* Keep the really unique design aesthetics; I loved how they took renaissance ideas & fashions to shape the look of the world. It made it all seem more unique than it could have otherwise been. Say what you will about Deus Ex 1, it's aesthetics were very generic and uninspired - Human Revolution had a fantastic design to it all, and I got the sense every tiny detail was crafted to fit the world.

* Keep it single-played focused. Admittedly, the DX1 had multiplayer - something a lot of people forget - but I've seen too many sequel dilute their focus by bringing in a multiplayer component. The same goes for co-op actually.

* If they insist on having DLC, I hope this time they commit to a substantial schedule of meaningful additions - something like Borderlands 2 series of (fairly decent) campaigns. Deus Ex: HR had one half-hearted effort then disappeared into the ether. Either commit to the format or don't do it at all.
    A colour aesthetic that has more tricks than 'gold'.

Sounds like you could have done with one of the ENB series of visual mods:
    http://kotaku.com/5843146/deus-ex-mod-removes-gold-filter-game-suddenly-looks-even-better/gallery/1

Personally, I liked the heavy use of gold. God knows there's little enough visual flair & identity in games: I liked that Deus Ex chose a distinct palette / visual motif & just went with it. And as mentioned, if you looked beyond the colour pallette, the world was fairly intricately & creatively designed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Better bad guys, the old hopalong and the Asian woman were a bit meh.
    I liked the guy from the DLC though, he had character.

And killswitches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

An ending that isn't the pretty much exactly the same as Deus Ex (and ME3).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Times like this make me really regret trading games :(

Getting that same feeling reading through this thread, one of the few games I've really regretted trading in. I know I could probably pick it up for less than a tenner again but its the principal!

Not a lot I'd want changed really bar the obvious stuff already mentioned. Human Revolution was a great game and surprisingly true to the original, good mechanics, good story, good art design and an interesting and not too far fetched vision of the future.

Guessing it'll be a sequel to HR but hard to know when it'll be set, I never played Invisible War so not sure what happened there but there's plenty that happened between HR and the first game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It's a film. Boooooooooooooo.

I want another game. If just for the music alone, best OST in a game in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Eidos Montreal are working on Thief 4. That'll be one to watch our for while waiting for the next Deus Ex game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thief 4.
    If its half as good as Thief 1 or 2, it will be amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that dark game looks interesting enough while we wait for deus ex/thief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I don't really know where they could go with a fourth one. Human revolution leads into Deus Ex (The Conspiracy to you on the PS2) which leads into Invisible war all 25 or so years apart. But if Eidos do make another one I want...

New main character. I loved Adam Jensen. I also loved JC and Alex Denton before him. A separate lead character in each game really makes that game feel unique and not just the latest in a franchise. I want any possible sequel to be Deus Ex 4, not Human Revolution 2

New time period & in-game architecture. see above.

less restrictive boss fights/no boss fights at all. I don't really need to go into the HR examples, but lets face it, Boss fights are a relic of gamings past. Even in DX1 there was a maximum of three, they felt like a natural progression of the story and two of them could be avoided with killphrases.

keep the Praxix points. I like how the player can pick and choose the augmentations they want as oppose to whatever (very) luck of the draw options you get with the Augmentation canisters from DX1

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Second domain registered. This one new one is registered under the name Deus Ex The Fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On facebook, Deus Ex announced that first footage of Human Defiance will be released tomorrow. Someone said it better be a game and not a movie and Deus Ex replied with 'oh it is'.

Then it is Aprils fools tomorrow, would be bad of em to pull that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    On facebook, Deus Ex announced that first footage of Human Defiance will be released tomorrow. Someone said it better be a game and not a movie and Deus Ex replied with 'oh it is'.

Then it is Aprils fools tomorrow, would be bad of em to pull that one!

sounds good man!! sounds good!!!

better not be some sort of sick april fools joke ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

It is...feckers!

8 bit Deus Ex!!

www.deusex.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

http://www.deusex.com/humandefiance

Looks good! Not the direction I would have expected for the next game but that's probably a good thing. Hope it gets off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

A Neurotic wrote: »
    http://www.deusex.com/humandefiance

Looks good! Not the direction I would have expected for the next game but that's probably a good thing. Hope it gets off the ground.

It's an April Fools Joke :D "Destroy Entire City? Yes, No"

Also:
    We couldn't convince our producers. Our marketing gurus say this will never sell. Our publishers refuse to give us the green light... But we're pretty sure we know what YOU want!

Nice work though, I'm secretly hoping they are actually planning another DX game. I've played through Human Revolution twice and it's one of the finest games released in the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I hope they have a wider range of weapons ,and enemy,s with better ai.
    A good choice of weapons, in human revolution ,the combat was a bit too easy.
    I like games like bioshock infinite ,enslaved where you can have another human
    ally to help you and to talk to.
    eg something like bioshock 2,
    where you could have different combat styles,
    depending on what powers you upgraded.
    And you could set all types of traps ,depending on what upgrades,perks you had equipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

pixelburp wrote: »
    What would I look from a sequel?

Personally, the option to avoid boss fights. They felt so out of place in human revolution and though I played the game on the hardest difficulty, I used to swap to the lowest difficulty setting for the boss fights because they were so annoying, they reminded me of the boss fights from Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

DarkJager wrote: »
    It's an April Fools Joke :D "Destroy Entire City? Yes, No"

Got to give it to them for effort though, fair play! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

See, this is ultimately why I hate April Fools; we all get ourselves excited that there might be a new addition to the Deus Ex franchise, and all the time it was a bloody April Fools. Colour me not impressed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

pixelburp wrote: »
    See, this is ultimately why I hate April Fools; we all get ourselves excited that there might be a new addition to the Deus Ex franchise, and all the time it was a bloody April Fools. Colour me not impressed :(

I doubt that Square Enix would register a trademark just for an april fools. Having said that I don't know what goes into to getting a trademark so maybe they would.

Advertisement