Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hare Coursing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

To be honest I dont mind hunting in general as long as they're not hunting an endangered species. In America I was friends with many hunters and they're nice people. Irish hunters are nice people generally too but whoever is running their lobby is an idiot frankly. The hunting support groups in america and ireland are worlds apart.

America has some of the strictest wildlife laws in the world, the hunters support conservation efforts. Irish wildlife laws are crap putting it nicely.We have inbreds decapitating seals and other simian lifeforms causing the Norwegian Primeminister to ask us to kindly stop killing Norway's eagles.

I suggested to hunting groups in Ireland to forge closer ties with conservation efforts. Speak out against the killing of endangered eagles ect but was told I was anti hunting. Despite the fact that I suggested hunting would have a lot more support if the worked closer with conservation. I even asked permission to start thread on a certain hunting forum and the response I got was suggesting I was going to start an anti hunting thread.

This coarsing itself is pointless and barbaric. Hunting in general isnt somthing I have a huge problem with in general but Idont support hunting groups in Ireland based on their aims or lack of them.

archer22 wrote: »
    The 40% is probably because they alert their supporters when their is a poll.

Indeed they all pm each other to have a whinge whenever anything like this comes up.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It might be in that moment but after the fact they can't obsess about it like we do. They don't have the mental capacity.

We aren't forcing anything, we are just setting up a scenario and allowing nature to take it's course. If we weren't there the dogs would still chase the rabbit, the only difference is they would most likely succeed in killing it.

Animals cant develop post traumatic symptoms? Look around any dog pound and youll see otherwise. Read up on reports of animals rescued from violent owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I have a feeling that prey evolved to not get permanent damage from being chased. Can't see the evolutionary benefit of that.

As long as the dogs are muzzled who cares.

I have a feeling that prey evolved to not get permanent damage from being chased. Can't see the evolutionary benefit of that.

Can you see the evolutionary benifit of cancer, chromasomal disorders or diabtetes? Sometimes stress or enviromental conditions force us into situations that are not evolutionarly benifitial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

steddyeddy wrote: »

Can you see the evolutionary benifit of cancer, chromasomal disorders or diabtetes? Sometimes stress or enviromental conditions force us into situations that are not evolutionarly benifitial.

You don't understand evolution. Cancer is largely a disease of the elderly - as such it doesn't affect evolution. Diabetes is a product of modern lifestyle we specifically didn't evolve for.

Permanent psychological damage for prey? Wouldn't all wildlife be continuous nervous wrecks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

a majority of posters on the thread and in the poll, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Animals cant develop post traumatic symptoms? Look around any dog pound and youll see otherwise. Read up on reports of animals rescued from violent owners.

Yup, my little rescue runs and hides when someone lifts the garden rake - and I'm pretty sure she's not afraid of being asked to do garden work :)

Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Permanent psychological damage for prey? Wouldn't all wildlife be continuous nervous wrecks ?

The average wild rabbit or deer is definitely a cool and calm customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yup, my little rescue runs and hides when someone lifts the garden rake - and I'm pretty sure she's not afraid of being asked to do garden work :)

Ah, it's not PTSD though, it's the association of a rake with Bad Things. PTSD includes nightmares, palpatations, feelings of dread for no reason, panic attacks; things that simply can't be diagnosed in animals.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A dog has no natural predators; a hare does. Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of hares die of old age as opposed to being eaten or poisoned? (genuine question)
    Do wild animals have any concept of a peaceful life and a 'nice' death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A dog has no natural predators; a hare does.

In fairness, domesticated dogs can hardly be considered 'natural' predators.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with wild wolves preying on Hares. Humans breeding high-speed dogs and organising a death run (how can a Hare see it any other way?) is pretty unnatural.

In fairness, domesticated dogs can hardly be considered 'natural' predators.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with wild wolves preying on Hares. Humans breeding high-speed dogs and organising a death run (how can a Hare see it any other way?) is pretty unnatural.

For the humans, OK, but the hare doesn't know the difference between being chased by a greyhound or a wolf. The dog also doesn't realise it's being 'cruel'; its natural instinct is to catch and kill small animals.

For the humans, OK, but the hare doesn't know the difference between being chased by a greyhound or a wolf. The dog also doesn't realise it's being 'cruel'; its natural instinct is to catch and kill small animals.

Its not the fact that a hare is killed by a dog that bothers me. Its the fact that grown men get off on seeing a hare killed by a dog.

golfball37 wrote: »
    This is the think end of the wedge afaic. What comes next? Banning Hurling because its too violent.:rolleyes:

These are dumb animals ffs. Its a Sport that brings pleasure to many in the countryside and is an integral part of Irish culture. If you don't like it ignore it but why ruin it for 1000's who rightly or wrongly derive some form of entertainment from it.

The only dumb animals are the ones watching it.

Its not the fact that a hare is killed by a dog that bothers me. Its the fact that grown men get off on seeing a hare killed by a dog.

I get that. I've made the point earlier that there were two aspects to coursing, the human behaviour and the experience of the hare and that I believe only humans can judge the other humans as 'barbaric' or 'cruel' based on their enjoyment of the spectacle and the net effect on the hare (killed by a dog or a fox or a bird of prey) is moot.

I'm also questioning if it's reasonable to state boldly that spectators at hare coursing 'get off' on the apparent suffering of the animal or moreso on the chase, the gambling or whatever goes on while denying that someone watching a predator killing its prey without any human interference also gets off on the spectacle.

Some people seem to equate curiosity or analysis with outright support of a position. Personally, I haven't adopted one.

Hunter21 wrote: »

Once anti groups get coursing banned they won't be happy they'll move on and try get all sports to do with animals banned. This in years to come could make a number of vets unemployed.

It's like dominos once one will fall the others will fall in time..

This anti groups routine again? Im not a fan of the extreme animal rights groups in Ireland but the hunting lobby in Ireland are the only ones responsible for the death hunting activities in Ireland. A colleague in college (he's a zoologist) wanted to forge conservation links with hunting groups (which would safeguard hunting forever in this country) and he was accused of being an anti. I had the same experience emailing hunting groups with suggestions and even here on boards.

Seemingly, there is no difference from watching a nature program involving say a lion hunting as there is from throwing a rabbit in with some dogs and watching them kill it.

If you like nature programs, you therefore should like coursing. Because watching animals in the wild is the same as creating a scenario where animals tear other animals apart for the enjoyment of the baying masses.

• Site Banned Posts: 45 fourleafclover

This anti groups routine again? Important not a fan of the extreme animal rights groups in Ireland but the hunting lobby in Ireland are the only ones responsible for the death hunting activities in Ireland. A colleague in college (he's a zoologist) wanted to forge conservation links with hunting groups (which would safeguard hunting forever in this country) and he was accused of being an anti. I had the same experience emailing hunting groups with suggestions and even here on boards.

what were your suggestions? surely the quercus report on rising hare populations points to conservation of the irish hare?

• Advertisement

May i point out that this emotive language such as animals being killed, torn to shreds etc is a far distance from the truth, in coursing, greyhounds are muzzled and do not harm the hare as seems to be outlined on this thread. in fact it shows ignorance on the part of some people posting when they do not have the faintest idea of what they are discussing. it is quite a pity this is not an informed debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

May i point out that this emotive language such as animals being killed, torn to shreds etc is a far distance from the truth, in coursing, greyhounds are muzzled and do not harm the hare as seems to be outlined on this thread. in fact it shows ignorance on the part of some people posting when they do not have the faintest idea of what they are discussing. it is quite a pity this is not an informed debate

The idea that just because the dogs are muzzled there's no harm done is ridiculous.

Not all coursing is done the legal way, in this country or across the water. The dogs are not always muzzled. Also, to state that not harm is done to the hare is showing ignorance on your part. Are you of the opinion that a dog can only cause harm to another animal with its mouth only?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

reprazant wrote: »

Seemingly, there is no difference from watching a nature program involving say a lion hunting as there is from throwing a rabbit in with some dogs and watching them kill it.

If you like nature programs, you therefore should like coursing. Because watching animals in the wild is the same as creating a scenario where animals tear other animals apart for the enjoyment of the baying masses.

I don't know about you but I don't generally watch things like that for enjoyment but to learn and observe animals in their natural state. The last thing I would be doing is smiling when something is being killed.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I don't generally watch things like that for enjoyment but to learn and observe animals in their natural state. The last thing I would be doing is smiling when something is being killed.

I was paraphrasing pickarooney
    I think people like to anthropomorphise the hares a little too much. Small animals get chased and killed and eaten by big ones in their billions every day. I've never been to one of these and wouldn't have any interest, but what's the essential difference between attending a hare coursing event and watching a David Attenborough documentary?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Once anti groups get coursing banned they won't be happy they'll move on and try get all sports to do with animals banned. This in years to come could make a number of vets unemployed.

It's like dominos once one will fall the others will fall in time..

Anti-Groups wont be happy until they get all activities to do with animals banned, I agree.

Anti-Groups don't get anything banned on their own however. In reality very few people are part of such groups. They require a lot of additional public support to get anything banned. For that reason they will never get activities like hunting* and fishing banned - they'll never get the public on board with getting them banned. And I'm glad of that, I enjoy fishing and hunting has many benefits.

So its nothing like dominoes - getting hare coursing banned would not lead to getting the others banned in time, and so thats a very deterimental viewpoint to base your argument on. If you're in favour of Hare coursing you should argue on the benefits of it, not on unfounded paranoia.

All that being said, I'm in favour of hare coursing solely for the conservation and biodiversity benefits that come out of it. And thats assuming the dogs are muzzled, and each Hare is only ever put through it once. To me, the benefits then far outweigh the costs (although there are still costs).

*hunting meaning shooting, not the horse/hound type

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was paraphrasing pickarooney

My bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Not all coursing is done the legal way, in this country or across the water. The dogs are not always muzzled. Also, to state that not harm is done to the hare is showing ignorance on your part. Are you of the opinion that a dog can only cause harm to another animal with its mouth only?

But that type of coursing is already illegal and you can be prosecuted for doing it!!!
    Saying that legal coursing should be banned because some idiots do it illegally is akin to saying dogs should be banned in Ireland because there is an element that engage in dog fighting!!

clashburke wrote: »
    But that type of coursing is already illegal and you can be prosecuted for doing it!!!
    Saying that legal coursing should be banned because some idiots do it illegally is akin to saying dogs should be banned in Ireland because there is an element that engage in dog fighting!!

No, I am saying it should be banned as it inflicts unnecessary cruelty onto the hares for not other reason than for the viewing masses to get their rocks off, whether it is legal or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

That a bit like saying that if, hypothetically, you got chased at night by a group of lads at night with knives but got away it would be fine because you'd have had a great rush and thoroughly enjoyed it. They did, so you must have, no?

And if they did catch you but only slapped you around it a bit, sure its grand because the suffering was only minimal.

No it's not.

Why not?

I hope, btw, you are not going to take that statement out of the context of the discussion it was in and in particular to the post it was in reply to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I wonder were these Roman times how many posters would've gone to see Gladiator fights in the local hippodrome?
    I think I probably would've if I'm being totally honest.

Like that recent film, the Hunger Games, it was muck, but the idea was cool, as was the Japanese film Battle Royale.
    If it was real I don't know if I'd watch it....but I reckon I'd be pulled in and then horrified.
    Remember watching that film about the suicides off the Golden Gate bridge...at first I thought it would be interesting, but then as soon as the first dude jumped I felt awful.

Still tho, I stick by my earlier posts, I'm all for hare coursing and I'd go to an event if any were staged where I live.

No, I am saying it should be banned as it inflicts unnecessary cruelty onto the hares for not other reason than for the viewing masses to get their rocks off, whether it is legal or not.

you must know very little about coursing reprazant. if coursing was to be cruel to the hare and cause a decline in hare population there would be no hare coursing?!! furthermore coursing is to view the ability of two greyhounds competing against each other. these greyhounds through their breeding do not chase mechanical lures and in a very rare cases get near enough to the hare to touch it. perhaps you should go and view the spectacle for yourself sometime, you will realise the coursing supporters always reserve the biggest cheer for when the hare gets to the escape safely and soundly. to say some hares do not get injured would be a lie but from the national meeting in clonmel where 193 courses took place one hare was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

7 7 12 wrote: »
    Source for this? You haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. And anyway it doesn't even matter whether their fear is on the same level as ours, I'm sure given the choice to participate or not in brutality like this - they would choose not to.
    Have a read of this : http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/animals-feel-fear-and-pain
    That animals display signs of stress after a stressful situation proves nothing about animals ability to foresee danger. All animals have an awareness of danger at all times but they can't imagine what will happen to them, that kind of mental ability is reserved for a minority of animals.
    archer22 wrote: »
    Then why do they start crying when they are caught then?..I will tell you why because there is only one logical explanation..Its because they DO have the imagination to anticipate what is going to happen next.And those that have heard them cry can be in no doubt but that they feel abject terror.
    This makes no sense. That an animal cries out at the moment of capture is in no way an indication that they have an imagination, if anything it proves the opposite otherwise they would have been crying before they got captured.
    Again your comparing two completely different scenarios. Your comparing animals suffering long term abuse to an animal that is going through a short lived stressful situation that's really no different than it would experience in the wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Why has this turned into a discussion on the psychological and mental capabilities of animals?

It's about putting animals in a situation where they may get mauled solely for enjoyment and whether that's ok or not (Protip: it's not).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

r

I have to strongly disagree with you on this. A friend of mine worked in an animal rescue charity shop. One day a man came in with boxes of donations. When the boxes were opened they contained many framed photographs of unmuzzled dogs ripping hares apart while spectators in the background had huge smiles of enjoyment on their faces, they were clearly enjoying what they were witnessing.

FFS what kind of sick cnut thinks that giving those sort of images to an animal charity is appropriate. More to the point what sort of sick cnut would want those images displayed in their homes. I saw those photographs and I didn't know whether to cry or vomit.

Also what is happening to many of the dogs is disgraceful, many are abandoned after they are no longer deemed useful/financially beneficial to the owners. There have been a spate of incidents were these dogs have been found shot and mutilated in order to avoid the ID marks being found and therefore disguising the owners identity.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Why has this turned into a discussion on the psychological and mental capabilities of animals?

It's about putting animals in a situation where they may get mauled solely for enjoyment and whether that's ok or not (Protip: it's not).

that is an absolute lie!! coursing is nothing to do with enjoyment of anything getting mauled. that is a scurrious statement to get emotive response. you either know very little about coursing or are quite happy to lie to your own advantage.

i will take you back to the fact that in the national meeting in clonmel 193 courses took place, one hare was injured (unfortunately). the hares then released back to the wild have been innoculated for disease, fed properly and are therefore in a much better state of health to thrive in the wild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

that is an absolute lie!! coursing is nothing to do with enjoyment of anything getting mauled.

I never suggested the enjoyment was derived from the animal being mauled.

r

I have to strongly disagree with you on this. A friend of mine worked in an animal rescue charity shop. One day a man came in with boxes of donations. When the boxes were opened they contained many framed photographs of unmuzzled dogs ripping hares apart while spectators in the background had huge smiles of enjoyment on their faces, they were clearly enjoying what they were witnessing.

FFS what kind of sick cnut thinks that giving those sort of images to an animal charity is appropriate. More to the point what sort of sick cnut would want those images displayed in their homes. I saw those photographs and I didn't know whether to cry or vomit.

Also what is happening to many of the dogs is disgraceful, many are abandoned after they are no longer deemed useful/financially beneficial to the owners. There have been a spate of incidents were these dogs have been found shot and mutilated in order to avoid the ID marks being found and therefore disguising the owners identity.

since 1994 all park coursing dogs have to be muzzled. that is fact.

did the photographer in question win a prize as to be able to both focus on the action and also take in the crowds faces via a photograph is still impossible to do to this very day so i suggest you are telling a little lie!!

since 1994 all park coursing dogs have to be muzzled. that is fact.

did the photographer in question win a prize as to be able to both focus on the action and also take in the crowds faces via a photograph is still impossible to do to this very day so i suggest you are telling a little lie!!
    As I said, there were many framed photographs in those boxes. I find hare coursing disgusting and so I see those images as being obscene. You seem to support hare coursing and you're implying that I'm a liar. How dare you accuse me of lying.

• Advertisement

The only dumb animals are the ones watching it.

Yup more like "frightened animals" (and dumb people)

I often question the intellect of those who get kicks out of watching animals suffer. Not to mention the mindlessness of gambling. Combine the two to create a super-imbecile lol

As I said, there were many framed photographs in those boxes. I find hare coursing disgusting and so I see those images as being obscene. You seem to support hare coursing and you're implying that I'm a liar. How dare you accuse me of lying.

i do call you a liar as you can not focus on two things at once with a camera. why dont you post up these images and prove me wrong?!
    you do not seem to understand what hare coursing is or that greyhounds have been muzzled since 1994 therefore an inability to tear a hare to shreds as you outlined above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm curious - do the people who support this know of the background of groups like ICABS? Of their links to fairly dodgy characters?

ICABS Watch.

i do call you a liar as you can not focus on two things at once with a camera. why dont you post up these images and prove me wrong?!
    you do not seem to understand what hare coursing is or that greyhounds have been muzzled since 1994 therefore an inability to tear a hare to shreds as you outlined above.

The photographs were given to the gardai as the images were of unmuzzled coursing. The photos were taken in fields with the spectators being very close to the 'action' so to speak, not very hard to capture the photos if you take a photo of something thats happening right in front of you. You need a serious attitude adjustment if you think it's acceptable to accuse someone of lying when they oppose your opinion of something.

Mickeroo wrote: »

I don't understand why you would watch a programme of your own free will if you're not deriving any enjoyment of it. Re-name it self-education or interest if you will, but it's the same thing.

Those programmes are always filmed and narrated in such a way as to get the viewer to identify with the hunter or or root for the prey. In the same way, it's much easier to anthropomorphise the hare and demonise the spectator in order to entrench a position of good vs. evil that it is to equivocate two instances of human beings' natural fascination with the macabre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can have any range of focus you want with the right equipment. Most DSLR cameras have a focal range that goes from very shallow to very thing in focus. It's not at all difficult to have both the dogs in the foreground in focus a well as the background. Older cameras often had only one focus range so they'd try to have the widest focal range.

The photographs were given to the gardai as the images were of unmuzzled coursing. The photos were taken in fields with the spectators being very close to the 'action' so to speak, not very hard to capture the photos if you take a photo of something thats happening right in front of you. You need a serious attitude adjustment if you think it's acceptable to accuse someone of lying when they oppose your opinion of something.

hahaha, oh my dear lord, you are telling me now that photographs from god knows what decade or year were handed to the gardai, will you please stop making a mockery of your own opinions by telling fibs!!

i accuse you of lying because i know you can not accurately focus on two things at once and now when i gave you the opportunity to post up the images you tell me they have been handed to the gardai, will you pull the other one!! may i ask what garda station, what date, what investigation?

you are lying to try and strengthen a very weak argument and you have been found out, tut tut tut.

hahaha, oh my dear lord, you are telling me now that photographs from god knows what decade or year were handed to the gardai, will you please stop making a mockery of your own opinions by telling fibs!!

i accuse you of lying because i know you can not focus on two things at once and now when i gave you the opportunity to post up the images you tell me they have been handed to the gardai, will you pull the other one!! may i ask what garda station, what date, what investigation?

you are lying to try and strengthen a very weak argument and you have been found out, tut tut tut.

It was an animal welfare charity shop, why woulnd't they pass the images on to the gardai. I think you are the one with the weak argument. You are calling me a liar based on camera angles. I have no problem stating that I know very little about cameras. I only know what I saw in the photographs. It was last year that the photographs were given to the charity shop.

i accuse you of lying because i know you can not accurately focus on two things at once

c3ca8a6c3f1d38bcfcc711aadde1d279_large.jpg

Really, you can. Everyone in this picture can be made out easily.

It was an animal welfare charity shop, why woulnd't they pass the images on to the gardai. I think you are the one with the weak argument. You are calling me a liar based on camera angles. I have no problem stating that I know very little about cameras. I only know what I saw in the photographs. It was last year that the photographs were given to the charity shop.

so now you do not know for certain if they were passed on or not?

what year would you have put on these photographs yourself? judging by spectators attire, photo aging etc?

all park coursing dogs have been muzzled since 1994, therefore the pictures you purport to have seen were not taken in ireland unless pre 1994 and if you are saying that people had grins on their faces i can assure you these images never existed as without the hare there is no coursing and the greatest cheer is always for when the hare reaches the escape safely. perhaps you should go sometime and allow yourself an educated opinion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement