Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs from Higher Diploma in Applied Science (Applied Computing Technology)

Options
  • 27-02-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I'm thinking of quitting my job and doing this course in 2013. I'm a mature student so I'm interested in finding out if anyone who did this got a job in the Cork area as I won't be moving.

If anyone has any info. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hiya I did this course. What career/degree discipline are you coming from?
    Depends how well you do in the course, if you do very well in it and in programming or multimedia you could do a masters afterwards which I'd highly recommend after this course as half my class did one in BIS, Multimedia or Computer Science. Lecturing is something you could consider in the future as well.

The rest well some are still working in areas they qualified originally in or they in jobs that be related to their degrees but in the IT sector which is what you'd probably aim at? While with me its IT I really trying to pursue and get away from business but now at the moment looking for something with both combinations rather than one or the other. Others in my class have completely left IT or done something different from their degree which a lot of them have and entered the IT industry. Good to have your degree/experience compliment the hdip. Though still not a ticket straight into an IT job either! Start on the bottom up the ladder like any grad!

If you very much sick of your job or no IT experience/knowledge at advanced level then it might be a course I'd recommend but its really what you put in you get out of it! You learnt a lot of new things in it and you see what you like and good at and take it from there but it won't land you into an IT job straight way, I'm still looking since I finished the course despite having business and IT/BIS degree and IT work experience. You be competing against those who got the degree in computer science and share the core subjects anyway.

Its a good course, great on paper but might be different when you do the course but I loved it, got on great with it, best decision I made as I always wanted to pursue IT but its getting harder looking for work despite things on an even keel in the IT sector. Technical support or IT sales or basic IT jobs would be where you'd be looking at after completing the course depends what jobs you want and want to pursue as some people may need to keep updating their skills especially programming and complete certs to keep on top of what you've learnt in an IT course.

Its an advantage when looking for work and handy to have but you need something else to back that up too. Though it does open up doors and more windows of opportunities as you get to learn a broad range of subjects and see where you could branch off afterwards. It take time to transition into an IT career when you start off, just a matter of getting your foot in the door! Loads of job opportunities in the IT sector though. I would say this I have had more job interviews after this course than after my degree so that pretty much sums it up for me.

Its a good enough course to do as a IT conversion course for those little in the know, they start from scratch but gets harder in the 2nd term, but I think to balance out more is to do a Masters in IT something specific but all depends what career you after! The course give you an idea what career options to pursue - multimedia, programming, web programming/design, more technical IT areas, networking, databases, cloud and so on.

I did the course when it first started a few years ago.
    I know others did the course and had masters done already but a lot of my classmates have ended up in the IT industry regardless if its an IT role or something related to their degree. Employers will always look on at the degree too not just the hdip unless you do a masters.

If you have any other questions on this be free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 murphmm

Hi, thanks for your reponse. My background is in accountancy and after over 20 years I've had enough of number crunching! I have an MBS in MIS as well and have been involved in some large Oracle financials implementations. I guess you could say I have a lot of IT but I'd like to try to get into the more technical side of things.

Anyone know what the job scene for IT is like in Cork?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

MIS or ISM/BIS is what I'd be looking into if doing a Masters i've considered Multimeda or computer science but think BIS is the way to go or a business masters in the future if I go back to college that is my thinking at the moment.

Its hard to know, this course is very general in IT its similar to the computer science degree but is condensed into a one year course from a 4 year course in compSci but the hdip deals with the core subjects you will get to know and understand an overview. To be honest I'd suggest either doing another Masters and do it in IT that is more specific so you might have an idea where you'd like to go when you've done MIS and some IT experience. Though maybe doing the hdip might give you a better insight what IT road to take so no harm in trying it out to see where it might lead.

Though a lot of IT stuff like programming, cloud or multimedia you could do a short term course or online course or distance learning in them to be honest, IT is something that can be self taught but its up to you if you wish to branch out and be in a classroom. You need to be committed to keep tabs on what you are learning and keep at it you probably know that from an MIS masters.

Might be an idea to do it part time but think the course is better doing it full time up to you entirely if you wish to keep the job you are in until you complete the course, I wouldn't totally give it up. As a classmate of mine didn't completely give up on accounting, completed the course full time and worked part time but eventually had to cut down the hours in the 2nd term but its manageable. I wouldn't completely give up on accounting though you might end up going back into again but maybe take the chance do the hdip and see what happens!

There are a lot of IT jobs in Cork, EMC, Apple, Amazon and a couple of other places are hiring IT grads. I say you have no problem getting into an IT job coming from an MIS background. It be handy to compliment the hdip but my guess you might be learning stuff you already learnt but learn new subjects as well.

Advertisement