Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - onlinedvdrentals.ie

Options
  • 27-02-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Silly me didn't check out this shower on Boards.ie before I signed up for a Groupon deal in Jan'12. But the problems with onlinedvdrentals haven't gone away...

Unfortunately I wasn't a member of boards.ie when i signed up for a deal with Groupon and didn't do the research that I should have done (but hey you buy these deals in good faith).

Anyway not only was the service terrible (getting DVD's weeks apart), they started deducting money from my credit card after six months, even though I had paid for a year's subscription. I couldn't make contact wtih them (phone line not working, emails not returned) so I contacted my credit card company about the unauthorised debits and they arranged refunds.

However it has restarted and they have taken more unauthorised deductions from my credit card - again can't get through on the phone and no responses to emails...have written again to credit card company and am hopeful of full refund - but sick and tired of the time and effort in trying to get this sorted.

Fellow boarders should be warned again of these scammers from onlinedvdrentals.ie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

If I were you I'd cancel your card and get a new one, then they won't take be able to take any money, had that issue with a different website and took money without me knowing so canceled the card got a new one so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 46 RachWatch

Thanks mtjm - have considered that but was hoping to avoid the hassle! might have to reconsider...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

mtjm wrote: »
    If I were you I'd cancel your card and get a new one, then they won't take be able to take any money, had that issue with a different website and took money without me knowing so canceled the card got a new one so happy days

I just cancelled a card and they told me if the charges come back after you've closed it they still bill you. Best to open a case with your card provider and get it sorted to save future hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It is a good idea to never, ever give continuous authority to deduct money on a credit card. You have far fewer rights than with a direct debit that you can cancel at any time. Sorting it with credit card provider and sending an official complaint to the company, too (in writing) is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

mtjm wrote: »

Absolutely not correct. If the company has continuous authorisation to debit the card, cancelling it does not affect that. The card issuer is still obliged to pay, and place that charge on to your account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Diziet wrote: »
    IYou have far fewer rights than with a direct debit that you can cancel at any time.

oooo, that's what you think. Direct Debits are a also a minefield. Most people think they they are protected. You're not really unless you fight for it. Having said that, you have to fight for your Credit Card too.

Did you know, I can setup a direct Debit with your bank account [once I have the number] and rack up a huge bill. Multiply that out by x service providers. Chances are, you will have to fight to get a prompt refund in any normal fashion.

Yeah - my bank has advised me that they cannot just cancel the debits at their end. However, they will refund all debits. But the cancellation has to take place at the other merchant bank - ie Online DVD rentals bank! My bank advised that the merchant bank will eventually get the message!

I had to give my credit card in the first place in order to open the account!

I've tried every method to get in contact with onlinedvdrentals - phone, email, snail mail - and still nothing!

Avoid. Avoid Avoid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

If the deal was with Groupon I'd contact Groupon on their Facebook page and see if they'll do anything. The deal was quite a while ago but it's worth a try.

Oh contacted Groupon - waste of time - they don't deal with that merchant anymore so nothing they could do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RachWatch wrote: »
    Oh contacted Groupon - waste of time
    Many people put too much faith/trust in groupon deals. In loads of threads you see people say "I bought this from groupon" etc, as though they are amazon and selling the stuff.

Groupon themselves are recognized as being above board & legit (though incredibly expensive for companies to use), but really they are just like a buy&sell magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Same guy runs petfactory.ie. try through that Facebook or number

Advertisement