Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM/Debit Card Fees - flat fee option

Options
  • 27-02-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I received a bill yesterday informing me that I am to be charged €50.12 for using my bank card to make ATM withdrawals and paying by Visa Debit.

With regards to the flat fee charge of €11.40 for 90 transactions, I feel this is a ridiculously low amount of transactions over a 3 month period, especially when you are trying to manage family finances.  

My question is whether there is an easy way for me to find out how many transactions I have made to date.  For example if I see by the end of month 1 that I have made 50 transactions, then I will need to modify my card usage over the next 2 months to ensure I don't go over the limit of 90.  Is this kind of tracking functionality available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi DerryRed,

Thanks for getting in touch.

While there is no automatic transaction counter available online, 365Online does give you the option of filtering statements by transaction type. This is done under the 'Advanced' tab on the Recent Transactions screen. We have had this suggested previously by a customer which we have sent to our Web Development Team for consideration, as we feel this would be really useful.

One way to reduce the amount of card transactions would be to use the cashback facility where available rather than making two point of sale payments. We've a section on our website with other tips on how to save on fees and charges which you may find useful, it can be accessed here.

Hope this helps, but if you do have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Hi DerryRed,

Thanks for getting in touch.

While there is no automatic transaction counter available online, 365Online does give you the option of filtering statements by transaction type. This is done under the 'Advanced' tab on the Recent Transactions screen. We have had this suggested previously by a customer which we have sent to our Web Development Team for consideration, as we feel this would be really useful.

One way to reduce the amount of card transactions would be to use the cashback facility where available rather than making two point of sale payments. We've a section on our website with other tips on how to save on fees and charges which you may find useful, it can be accessed here.

Hope this helps, but if you do have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Tara
    I had 179 transactions last quarter.  So you are saying I need to cut my activity in half in order to qualify for the flat fee charge.  I'm struggling to see how I can do this as you are talking about limiting activity to 7-8 card transactions per week, which is not very much when I look at the average number of weekly card transactions I need to make.  While your suggestion about using the cashback facility is good, this is not something I like doing as my house was robbed a few years ago and I try to have as little cash lying around as possible.

At least 2 of your competitors (Ulster Bank and Permanent TSB) do not have these charge for using their cards, therefore I'm sorry to say as a customer of 13 years I see no other option but taking my business elsewhere.  On my current budget fees of €50 plus each quarter (€200 plus per year) is just something I can't afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi DerryRed,

With the flat fee option, when a customer has reached 90 transactions further transactions are charged at 28c each. The suggestion to use the cashback option may be suitable if you are out shopping to perhaps get cashback in one store that you could use to pay in the next store. It's understandable that you are reluctant to carry large amounts of cash.

If you would like us to arrange a call from your branch to discuss this matter further, please pm us with your name, phone number and branch name. The branch may be able to suggest alternative options based on your account usage.

Thanks
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Hi DerryRed,

With the flat fee option, when a customer has reached 90 transactions further transactions are charged at 28c each. The suggestion to use the cashback option may be suitable if you are out shopping to perhaps get cashback in one store that you could use to pay in the next store. It's understandable that you are reluctant to carry large amounts of cash.

If you would like us to arrange a call from your branch to discuss this matter further, please pm us with your name, phone number and branch name. The branch may be able to suggest alternative options based on your account usage.

Thanks
    Tara
    What are these alternative options?
    Why cant you post them here so everyone can see them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi dobsdave,

We would be unable to post what the alternative options may be as they can vary from customer to customer. The branch would be able to check the persons account and see what the best option for that particular customer is.

Thank you very much.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement

Hi DerryRed,

Thanks
    Tara

Thanks for all the help, but I've decided to take my business elsewhere.  These charges and in particular the way they have been introduced has crossed the line for me.  Just off the phone with Permanent TSB and I won't face any charges for using my ATM/Debit card.  I have an appointment in their local branch next week to move across my account.

According to the person I was speaking to in Permanent TSB, they have been crazy busy this week with people looking to transfer across from Bank of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

DerryRed wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help, but I've decided to take my business elsewhere.  These charges and in particular the way they have been introduced has crossed the line for me.  Just off the phone with Permanent TSB and I won't face any charges for using my ATM/Debit card.  I have an appointment in their local branch next week to move across my account.

According to the person I was speaking to in Permanent TSB, they have been crazy busy this week with people looking to transfer across from Bank of Ireland.
    Thanks for that info, have been a customer of BOI for over 25 years, these excessive charges cannot be justified.

Thanks for that info, have been a customer of BOI for over 25 years, these excessive charges cannot be justified.

Please be aware the PTSB do have some conditions for not getting charged for use of ATMS and Debit Card, but they are no-where near as stringent as BOI.

Advertisement