Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Filan's Gaff up for Sale

Options
  • 27-02-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

As most people already know I'd say, Shane's gaff has been put on the market and seemingly has a lot of interest.

Its truly a sad story, when the man has had to sell his family home after his business went down the pan. Not to be outdone tho, the good ole begrudgery that we all know is alive and well in ireland today with people saying how he deserves it blah blah blah.

Look at some of the comments here.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/heres-what-being-in-westlife-could-buy-you-811851-Feb2013/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

greed, and exploitation of the differences to bankruptcy law between Ireland and the UK = current situation.
    Comment withdrawn
    The building is a grotesque, but then that really is just an opinion, I'm sure there are others who consider it an aesthetically pleasing, environmentally sound and well thought out use of space and light, but in my opinion they'd be wrong.
    It was a vulgar declaration of self perceived superiority, the new lord of the manor in residence, the fact that the supposed €10m offer is known of attests to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

As most people already know I'd say, Shane's gaff has been put on the market and seemingly has a lot of interest.

Its truly a sad story, when the man has had to sell his family home after his business went down the pan. Not to be outdone tho, the good ole begrudgery that we all know is alive and well in ireland today with people saying how he deserves it blah blah blah.

http://www.thejournal.ie/heres-what-being-in-westlife-could-buy-you-811851-Feb2013/

Pity his poor creditors, not him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

1100010110 wrote: »
    greed, and exploitation of the differences to bankruptcy law between Ireland and the UK = current situation.
    "You can object all you like but this development is going ahead", allegedly said to certain residents of Carroroe who had objected to a certain proposed new town/village centre, on the behalf of a certain development company.
    The building is a grotesque, but then that really is just an opinion, I'm sure there are others who consider it an aesthetically pleasing, environmentally sound and well thought out use of space and light, but in my opinion they'd be wrong.
    It was a vulgar declaration of self perceived superiority, the new lord of the manor in residence, the fact that the supposed €10m offer is known of attests to this.

Anything to back the allegation and the supposition?

Redsean, please take my meaning from your understanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Is the guy in Westlife?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I would agree. And it was inevitable that the local press would seize on such an opportunity to sell a
    few more newspapers. You would have hoped they would have cut the guy and his family a bit of
    slack on this. But paper never refuses ink.

And of course the local press featured this upcoming newsworthy news item on at least 2
    occasions prior to this "front page scoop". One of the previous distasteful comments being "Should have stuck to the singing Shane". Witty stuff eh!
    Ground breaking journalism that one.

Wouldn't they have been better informing the community by using the front page to do some real research and have an exposé on the list of "public employees" on 180k plus a year or similar? Too much like real journalism that one, with the risk of upsetting a few
    cronies.

Shane and the lads worked very hard to get where they got to, and during that long period the local press benifited greatly by featuring their successes on numerous occasions, and the lads were always very generous of their time to them. But sure no good deed goes unpunished eh!

And now without hesitation, the knives are out to get the last pound of flesh from the story. Thoroughly distasteful, and no doubt causing further unnecessary distress to the man and his family.

Journalism befitting of the gutter press.

Do you really think he gives a flying f*ck about how he is perceived by the people of Sligo?

Do you really think he gives a flying f*ck about how he is perceived by the people of Sligo?

My emphasis is not his personal feelings, but the attitude and shoddy journalism of the local press. I do hope as you have so eloquently put, that he doesn't "give a fcuk".

That would be a good headline that one.

Exclusive! "Shane doesnt give a damn" Turn to page 3 for full report.

Redsean, please take my meaning from your understanding

So you spiced up your post by adding unfounded rumours!
    Are you a journalist?

I am not a journalist, I too would like to see the headline as per Kettleson but I hope it would not be true.
    I have never met the man in question, but from what I know he was no stranger to hard work, and fair play to him for that, whether it was peeling spuds or catching flights from here to there and somewhere beyond that again to play for however many hours a night for however many nights in a row, he put in the hours and was duly rewarded for it, with estimated career earnings for the group at €35 million in 2010.

I don't begrudge this one single bit.

I resent the fact however that I, my family and my children will have to contribute to cover losses that he has incurred from the failure of the exploits of his company into property development funded by borrowed monies when he had estimated earnings from the entertainment industry of just under €9 million for same period.
    I also resent the ability and actions of the same person to declare themselves bankrupt in a foreign State, due to activities carried out in this State, in order to avail of more relaxed bankruptcy laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Kettleson wrote: »
    I would agree. And it was inevitable that the local press would seize on such an opportunity to sell a
    few more newspapers. You would have hoped they would have cut the guy and his family a bit of
    slack on this. But paper never refuses ink.

And of course the local press featured this upcoming newsworthy news item on at least 2
    occasions prior to this "front page scoop". One of the previous distasteful comments being "Should have stuck to the singing Shane". Witty stuff eh!
    Ground breaking journalism that one.

Wouldn't they have been better informing the community by using the front page to do some real research and have an exposé on the list of "public employees" on 180k plus a year or similar? Too much like real journalism that one, with the risk of upsetting a few
    cronies.

Shane and the lads worked very hard to get where they got to, and during that long period the local press benifited greatly by featuring their successes on numerous occasions, and the lads were always very generous of their time to them. But sure no good deed goes unpunished eh!

And now without hesitation, the knives are out to get the last pound of flesh from the story. Thoroughly distasteful, and no doubt causing further unnecessary distress to the man and his family.

Journalism befitting of the gutter press.

The Sligo Champion should be unreservedly ashamed of themselves for the drivel they have been spouting in recent months. Throughout their career they were always the first to promote the boys and whatever they were doing. Now that the tables have turned on them they couldn't wait to jump on the bandwagon pointing out how badly things have gone for him. Like you say, a paper never refuses ink, and as we are mostly a bunch of begrudgers anyway, I'm not really surprised.

I am not a journalist, I too would like to see the headline as per Kettleson but I hope it would not be true.
    I have never met the man in question, but from what I know he was no stranger to hard work, and fair play to him for that, whether it was peeling spuds or catching flights from here to there and somewhere beyond that again to play for however many hours a night for however many nights in a row, he put in the hours and was duly rewarded for it, with estimated career earnings for the group at €35 million in 2010.

I don't begrudge this one single bit.

I resent the fact however that I, my family and my children will have to contribute to cover losses that he has incurred from the failure of the exploits of his company into property development funded by borrowed monies when he had estimated earnings from the entertainment industry of just under €9 million for same period.
    I also resent the ability and actions of the same person to declare themselves bankrupt in a foreign State, due to activities carried out in this State, in order to avail of more relaxed bankruptcy laws.

Ironic really, that you take this opportunity to sit on a moral highground over this, and all the while make out that he has either done this deliberately, or that it was all a part of an evil plot to solely evade his debts. There are far higher profile people than Shane Filan who have been the catalyst of the situation that we are in as a country. Like many of the rest of us, he is also a vitcim of the bust that happened.

If I found myself in the same situation as him during the boom with considerable financial standing you can bet you're life I'd have been investing it in property. After all, our own government was telling us we were bonkers not to buy overpriced houses at the time. Many of us lost our jobs and found ourselves in debt as a result of the recession and I don't believe this is any different, say for the fact its on a larger scale.

As for the bankruptcy, I can honestly say that morality means nothing to me when it comes to providing for my family. If I could be over and done with it in a year and try to get back on my feet doing the only thing I can do well, then I would be in england too.

Would you be happier if he stayed here for the ten years on the dole because he can't ply his trade because of bankruptcy?

Begrudgers indeed.

I don't think it's fair or healthy to direct your resentment at one single person. Otherwise you could end up resenting a fair % of the population of Ireland.

It's the Irish Government that allowed this to happen. And of course property developers and investors must take responsibility for their own actions.

No we shouldn't be paying for others losses, and that's where the nation needs to stand up and say "enough already".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Think it's a typical Irish mentality. Don't embrace those who do well, rather spite them. Success breeds contempt, few are there to congratulate you sincerely when you're on top, though there are plenty who enjoy your demise. I feel a bit for Shane, always seemed like a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Begrudgery certainly wouldn't be a word I'd use when it comes to this situation. Shane was (and maybe will be again) a great ambassador for Sligo and seemed a genuine guy the few times I talked to him.

I do think though himself and Finbarr jumped on the whole development bandwagon and had too many projects on the go but that was same for a lot of developers and no good will come of it now pointing the finger of blame (unless of course they knew something the average Joe didn't i.e. the banks told them to take the millions in loans sure if it all goes títs up you'll be grand - but that's conjecture). But we've already have had years of, and millions of threads on, "it was the banks/government/developers fault". Hindsights a great thing.

I will tell you one thing I am raging about though, Filan had several parties in his mansion and I wasn't invited to any of them :mad: (doesn't matter he didn't know me - it should have been like an embassy, if you're from Sligo, you're in). We'll see whose laughing when I win the Lotto, buy that house and have sexy parties there. You won't get a look in the gate Filan, d'ya here me?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

The Sligo Champion should be unreservedly ashamed of themselves for the drivel they have been spouting in recent months. Throughout their career they were always the first to promote the boys and whatever they were doing. Now that the tables have turned on them they couldn't wait to jump on the bandwagon pointing out how badly things have gone for him. Like you say, a paper never refuses ink, and as we are mostly a bunch of begrudgers anyway, I'm not really surprised.

Ironic really, that you take this opportunity to sit on a moral highground over this, and all the while make out that he has either done this deliberately, or that it was all a part of an evil plot to solely evade his debts. There are far higher profile people than Shane Filan who have been the catalyst of the situation that we are in as a country. Like many of the rest of us, he is also a vitcim of the bust that happened.

If I found myself in the same situation as him during the boom with considerable financial standing you can bet you're life I'd have been investing it in property. After all, our own government was telling us we were bonkers not to buy overpriced houses at the time. Many of us lost our jobs and found ourselves in debt as a result of the recession and I don't believe this is any different, say for the fact its on a larger scale.

As for the bankruptcy, I can honestly say that morality means nothing to me when it comes to providing for my family. If I could be over and done with it in a year and try to get back on my feet doing the only thing I can do well, then I would be in england too.

Would you be happier if he stayed here for the ten years on the dole because he can't ply his trade because of bankruptcy?

Begrudgers indeed.

"I can honestly say that morality means nothing to me"

Says it all really. No wonder, you are defending Filan ,trying to make out he is just an ordinary Joe although he has his REAL family home in one of the most expensive and richest parts of England.

"I can honestly say that morality means nothing to me"

Says it all really. No wonder, you are defending Filan ,trying to make out he is just an ordinary Joe although he has his REAL family home in one of the most expensive and richest parts of England.

Nice edit there:

Put in the correct context:

"As for the bankruptcy, I can honestly say that morality means nothing to me when it comes to providing for my family".

Sounds spot on to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

So, we're all begrudgers if we don't feel bad for a guy who made boatloads of cash, but decided it still wasn't enough for him, so he ended up getting in over his head, and then when he went bust, ran off to the UK to avoid facing up to his responsibilities? Pffffffft!

I'll save my sympathy for the people who are really struggling: the working people being let go from jobs every day in this country, those that are in danger of having their (non-mansion) homes repossessed, the small business owners whose businesses have collapsed, the students who had to drop out because they never got their grant paid this year, the young people who have no hope of a job and are faced with either the dole queue or emigration (if you can afford to emigrate).

Stop acting like the Champion is sticking it to Filan and making him the victim, there have been countless tales reported in the media way before this, of pop musicians who went overboard and ended up losing their lavish mansions. Ever hear of MC Hammer? Sly Stone? I guess Shane didn't, or maybe he might have had more cop on. If anything, these stories can serve as a warning to those who have success in the music industry, to not get in over their head.

sligoface wrote: »
    So, we're all begrudgers if we don't feel bad for a guy who made boatloads of cash, but decided it still wasn't enough for him, so he ended up getting in over his head, and then when he went bust, ran off to the UK to avoid facing up to his responsibilities? Pffffffft!

I'll save my sympathy for the people who are really struggling: the working people being let go from jobs every day in this country, those that are in danger of having their (non-mansion) homes repossessed, the small business owners whose businesses have collapsed, the students who had to drop out because they never got their grant paid this year, the young people who have no hope of a job and are faced with either the dole queue or emigration (if you can afford to emigrate).

Stop acting like the Champion is sticking it to Filan and making him the victim, there have been countless tales reported in the media way before this, of pop musicians who went overboard and ended up losing their lavish mansions. Ever hear of MC Hammer? Sly Stone? I guess Shane didn't, or maybe he might have had more cop on. If anything, these stories can serve as a warning to those who have success in the music industry, to not get in over their head.

What does "Pffffffft!" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Take a trip out to Dromahair and then make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Kettleson wrote: »
    What does "Pffffffft!" mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pfffft

:D

Personally, I like Shane, probably the nicest lad out of the Westlife lads. I'm sorry to see this happen to him but that doesnt mean that it shouldnt happen to him. He gambled, and lost.

• Advertisement

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pfffft

Personally, I like Shane, probably the nicest lad out of the Westlife lads. I'm sorry to see this happen to him but that doesnt mean that it shouldnt happen to him. He gambled, and lost.

OK thanks for that, I thought it meant WFFTDUIO!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It would be worth buying it for the property tax alone. Its in the €150,000-200,000 value category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Saw in the paper today that the house was stripped of many of it's fixtures and fittings.

Fireplaces, Doors, light fittings. radiators, hand basins, toilets, smart home controller and built in kitchen appliances all taken.

A further attempt to prevent the Irish tax payer from recovering the losses of our failed banking system.

dingding wrote: »
    Saw in the paper today that the house was stripped of many of it's fixtures and fittings.

Fireplaces, Doors, light fittings. radiators, hand basins, toilets, smart home controller and built in kitchen appliances all taken.

A further attempt to prevent the Irish tax payer from recovering the losses of our failed banking system.
    Not saying it's not true, but in what honourable publication did you read this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

red sean wrote: »
    Not saying it's not true, but in what honourable publication did you read this?

It was in the Irish Mail on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes it was in the mail on sunday with pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Jesus do people read and actually buy that paper. Lord save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He gambled, he lost, but I'll be the begrudger for wondering how he can get away with not paying what he owes.

Not standing up for him or anything like it, I just hate begrudgers!
    He signed a recording deal recently which will help repay his creditors, although he could have waited a couple of months and then it was all his. Not sure if the Mail reported this or not as I would'nt pay for it!

• Advertisement

He is due to exit bankruptcy in June, first single is out in July.
    He will cease to have any creditors once he exits bankruptcy, any earnings are not liable to repay previous debts, as these have been erased by the bankruptcy process.

Advertisement