Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice when talking to breeder

• 27-02-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I will be talking to a breeder later about a pup(newfoundland) and just want to make sure I have all the questions covered.
    I know about the problems with hip and elbow displaysia(sp) but what should the scores be. eg 1,2 etc.

Also any other questions I should be asking? they own both the mother and father.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ask how many litters the bitch has had. Have they got all the paperwork, IKC reg etc.

Do you mind me asking where you sourced your breeder from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

From the KC. I will be going over to the UK to get the dog, so just wanted to make sure that I had all the questions to ask so it would not be a wasted journey should I decide to go ahead with the purchase.

Well you could do a bit of background check on the breeder from online. Do they show? If so you could have a nosy and see if what they bred etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Ask about mother and father health history, temperament etc. (decent breeders will tell you the good, bad and ugly).
    See all certs, hips scores etc. in the flesh.
    How many litters between them (mother only, repeated matings of the pair, fathers sires etc.).
    Ask about how long they have been breeding, why they like the breed etc. and general questions about why they breed.

What you need to gauge is that they are passionate about the breed and take pride in their dogs. If they show, all the better, but it isn't a must. Do google their kennel, just to have a look. They (the breeders) should also want to ask you questions - they have put a lot of work into these pups and won't want to sell them to anyone, they want good homes for their dogs. You don't need to like the breeder on a personal level but you need to know they are in it for the dogs, not their pockets (and they need to know the same about you). If, at any point, you feel something isn't quite right or something doesn't add up - walk away.

The biggest tip I can give you is think rationally, keep a clear head (even though there are beautiful pups running around - they are very cute and tempting) and, if possible, sleep on it.

Above all - good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Hi all, I will be talking to a breeder later about a pup(newfoundland) and just want to make sure I have all the questions covered.
    I know about the problems with hip and elbow displaysia(sp) but what should the scores be. eg 1,2 etc.

Also any other questions I should be asking? they own both the mother and father.

Thank you!

The average hip score for a newfy is 26. So a score of 10/16 or 13/13 would be avg for this breed. Really you would like to see both parents having scores under the average for the breed. Also research what other tests that is common for the breed.

When I was getting a lab, I asked for hip scores and dna tests for CNM and PRA as these are common defects in labs.

Dont listen to BS like hip scores are not back yet, or vet checked the hips and they are perfect. You want to see the physical cert of any tests that are claimed. If no tests on paper, walk away very quick. (not KC registration papers, as they dont require any health tests!)

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for advice all, felt more confident talking to the breeder. All seems in order hip score for female was total 32, is that too high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Thanks for advice all, felt more confident talking to the breeder. All seems in order hip score for female was total 32, is that too high?

Well how was the score from the sire? Here is an excellent site to research parents from the UK.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/test/Default.aspx

Plug in the names of the dog and bitch and will will give you all health tests that have been registered.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

To be honest, I'd be very wary of a breeder using a bitch to breed from with well above average hips. The whole point of breeding is trying to improve health and well being and quality of the breed so you should always be using dogs with lower than average or average at the very most, hip scores.
    Find out the male scores and go from there but I'd be very hesitant to be honest.

Advertisement