Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beating around the bushes (image heavy ID thread)

• 27-02-2013 5:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭

we've bought a house from someone who admitted that the gardens (front and back) are a bit overplanted with shrubbery. we'll be taking out a lot, but since the number of shrubs i can identify can be counted on one hand, i'm worried about taking out plants which are particularly nice or unusual.
    so, (at the risk of testing patience) if anyone can identify these for me, i'd be most grateful; worth pointing out that the previous owner had mentioned there was a distinct australian bias to the planting. a lot of them will be going (though i'll try to keep a good rootball if i can find a recipient!)

A
    DSCN1959.jpg

B
    DSCN1960.jpg

C
    DSCN1961.jpg

D
    DSCN1962.jpg

E
    DSCN1963.jpg

F
    DSCN1964.jpg

G
    DSCN1965.jpg

H
    DSCN1967.jpg

I
    DSCN1968.jpg

J
    DSCN1969.jpg

K
    DSCN1970.jpg

L
    DSCN1971.jpg

M
    DSCN1972.jpg

N
    DSCN1973.jpg

O
    DSCN1974.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P
    DSCN1975.jpg

Q
    DSCN1976.jpg

R
    DSCN1977.jpg

S
    DSCN1978.jpg

T
    DSCN1979.jpg

U
    DSCN1980.jpg

V
    DSCN1981.jpg

W
    DSCN1982.jpg

X
    DSCN1983.jpg

Y
    DSCN1984.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

Z
    DSCN1986.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DSCN1987.jpg

DSCN1988.jpg

DSCN1989.jpg

DSCN1990.jpg

DSCN1991.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

1 & N Ilex (holly)
    2 Viburnum Davidii (possibly)
    Q Skimmia
    R Mahonia
    S Euonymus emerald and Green
    T Viburnum Tinus

A & M Choisya ternata
    B Sarcococca (Take a smell of the flowers now its really nice)
    E Laurel

yeah, we'd noticed a nice smell from the sarcococca. i had it in a previous house too, self seeded prolifically.

do you know if it's OK to cut back a bottlebrush plant to the stump? I've removed a large leylandii hedge which had swamped it, and it's all lopsided as a result. i was wondering if letting it grow back from the stump would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

D - Eucalyptus
    E - Bay/Laurel
    P - Is it a shrub? The leaves look very like Deadnettle, but that would be groundcover rather than shrubbery.

• Advertisement

sorry yeah, it's groundcover, forgot to mention that.

Probably Deadnettle then. It should have little purple flowers in the next couple of months. Good little ground cover plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

F - cornus
    G - Brachyglottis
    J - Pittosporum
    K and Z -- Abelia
    L - also a hebe I think
    N - osmanthus
    O - crinodendron hookerianum
    V - Hypericum Hidcote
    W - hebe - dont know which

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

K & Z Abelia
    V St Johns wort
    W Hebe
    G Seneccio
    J Pittisporum
    I Escallonia

U - is bugging me -- I have it in the garden and cant remember what it is - will try to find the label :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

F: Variegated Portugal Laurel ?

U: I think is a Azalea / Rhododendron with lime-induced chlorosis

1 & N: Osmanthus heterophyllus

I & Y: escallonia

C: Osmanthus delavayi late spring scented white flowers !!! Seriously Keep it

s: Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety'

e: Elaeagnus pungens maculata (But when the plant has reverted back to plain green)

4: pinus sylvestris ?

x: chamaecyparis ?????? a dwarf form?

jezko wrote: »
    F: Variegated Portugal Laurel ?

I think you're right -- :)

do you know if it's OK to cut back a bottlebrush plant to the stump? I've removed a large leylandii hedge which had swamped it, and it's all lopsided as a result. i was wondering if letting it grow back from the stump would work.

Any chance you could cut some and leave some foliage - maybe finish the job later if the pruned part regrows. I've never cut one back very hard - just a branch here and there - generally recovered but I couldnt say it seemed to benefit from it.

Agree 100% with jezko about C: Osmanthus delavayi - beautiful scent -- and hates being moved anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

1 and N I could be Desfontania spinosa rather than Ilex (leaves opposite rather than alternate) and U looks a little like Skimmia japonica (male form) -

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I think "P" is Lamium galeobdolon - great ground cover in shade (but a bit over enthusiastic and may need to be pruned).Regarding your question about cutting back the bottlebrush. Yes in my experience they can be cut right back to a stump and will sprout back again very happily with the added advantage that the new "juvenile" foliage can be very attractive.

yeah, we'd noticed a nice smell from the sarcococca. i had it in a previous house too, self seeded prolifically.

According to this it should be fine.

http://www.gardenguides.com/70313-prune-bottle-brush-shrub.html

cheers all; re the bottlebrush, here's what i mean:

leylandii.jpg

the leylandii had taken a chunk 8 foot wide out of the garden and were swamping the bottlebrush and the fuschia beside it.

Bixy wrote: »
    1 and N I could be Desfontania spinosa rather than Ilex (leaves opposite rather than alternate) -

I believe Desfontania spinosa is dark glossy leaves only... No Variation or any other cultivars
    But OP if this is Desfontania spinosa you are very lucky to have not one but two!

Some Nice plants there.

Also are you sure you have a bottlebrush ? could be my eyes but reminds me of a broom Cytisus sp.?? above photo #18

this is what i had thought was the bottlebrush:

DSC_1241.JPG

this is what i had thought was the bottlebrush:

you are correct, it's my eyes ...old age!

• Advertisement

now i just need to decide what stays and what goes...

Advertisement