Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shocking streaming at night

• 27-02-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

I have wireless internet and i pay for a 4mb connection.

During the day i have no problems streaming, rte, tv3, youtube etc but come night time it can get laggy, freezing,

I also have a subscription to a sports website (starstreams) and this is the same no problems working during the day but a disaster from around 7 at night and i have been onto other people who use the site and they don't seem to have a problem. this sports website say that you need a constant 2-3mb for it to work smoothly.

I got onto my isp and they assured me that my speeds are staying constant and i have been doing speed tests when this is happening and my speeds do seem to be what i'm paying for 4mb and above.

They told me it could be the router so i disconnected the router and have it wired straight from the ethernet injector in to the p.c but it's still the same, my isp use an antenna which is on the gable end of the house.

As i said it only happens in the evening time from 7 on, during the day it is flawless.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Clicked in thinking you were about to reveal details of some saucy feed or other that was only accessible at night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

It called contention, your speeds slow down because more people use the internet in your area during these hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

iMuse wrote: »
    It called contention, your speeds slow down because more people use the internet during these hours.

ya but when i do a speed test it shows the same result as during the day the speed does not seem to be dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

gustafo wrote: »
    ya but when i do a speed test it shows the same result as during the day the speed does not seem to be dropping.

What speedtest are you using?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try using a different server to do a speed test on.

Also make sure computer updates are not scheduled for that time. Set them to 3am or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

ED E wrote: »
    What speedtest are you using?

http://www.speedtest.net/
    Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Try using a different server to do a speed test on.

Also make sure computer updates are not scheduled for that time. Set them to 3am or something.

what do you mean by a different server? sorry don't know much about this kind of thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

what do you mean by a different server? sorry don't know much about this kind of thing.

When you go to speedtest choose a server in London for example, rather then Cork. Because its more likely that the sports website is based in London, and probably gets more traffic. So it might be slower to load some. Think about it, it takes longer to get to London than Dublin? So through fibre, its the same story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I have wireless internet and i pay for a 4mb connection.

During the day i have no problems streaming, rte, tv3, youtube etc but come night time it can get laggy, freezing,

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Restarting the router has helped when I encountered this. Not sure why, but it has.

Advertisement