Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are only child's

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

HondaSami wrote: »
    Do I want to know?
    LOLOLOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Have a friend who's an only child.Christ he's the slowest eater ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

People are people, no two are quite the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

starlings wrote: »
    The only time I noticed an only-child perspective was when I shared a student flat with friends. One of them was having a bath and she asked if anyone wanted it after her. You should have seen the only-child's face. :D

In fairness, she probably would have gotten an Ewww reaction from lots of people with siblings too. I'd have nightmares if you asked me to get into a bath, after my brothers had been farting and doing God knows what else in it ! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I am an only child and have mixed feelings about it. Most of the time I enjoy it but I do get lonely around Christmas time and at family gatherings. I would like to have siblings for the company and the family dynamic but at the same time I couldn't handle the bickering and arguing. Also like others mentioned dealing with the inevitable death of my parents is going to be horrible I'd imagine, with no sibling support.

I wouldn't consider myself spoilt in that I certainly wasn't given everything I asked for, but at the same time I never wanted for anything major. Both my patents worked full time when I was growing up so by default they probably spent more money on me than they would have if they had had a few children. Both also happen to be generous people anyway which maybe adds to it.

I definitely think I matured faster than my peers, and even now (I'm 22) I still feel more comfortable in the company of older adults. The majority of my cousins are more than 7 years older than me so I think that trait is extra strong for me as adult company was all I knew growing up (apart from friends obviously).
    I am a bit shy and quiet, but I don't think that has much to do with being an only child. I always thought that only children would be more outgoing because they are forced to make friends, whereas most people have built in friends in their siblings. It does take me quite a while to form a bond with people though which tends to frustrate me. I'm not so good at making friends!
    I wouldn't consider myself selfish, I actually think that I'm quite thoughtful and considerate, more so than a lot of people I know. I enjoy doing little things for people just because i know it'll make them happy without expecting anything in return.

One of the things I like about being an only child is that I learned how to entertain myself at an early age. When I was younger my aunt used to always remark how I never complained of being bored because I was just used to finding things to do to amuse myself. I actually feel sorry for people who struggle with that. Of course I like doing things with people too but I'm glad I'm able to be self-reliant if needs be. I also like to have time to myself, and to just be alone for a while each day. I actually crave it if I'm around a lot of people for extended periods of time.

Bottom line, it comes down to how you were raised and your individual personality. I certainly don't hate being an only child but if/ when I have children I would definitely like more than one. I always felt like I was missing out on something by not having siblings, even if it's not all its cracked up to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I'm not an only child but I consider myself one. I was an only child until I was 17 then I moved out at 20 so I've always kinda considered myself an only child just as I kinda consider my brother being an only child.

As mysteriouschic said I'm also quite dependent, I like my own company, I wouldn't consider myself a loner though. All my cousins where much older then me so I was never really around children and don't feel particularly comfortable interacting with them. Maybe never being around children is part of the reason I dislike them and don't want them.

I was never spoilt growing up or have a sense of entitlement. I got my first weekend job at 15 so I earned my own money nor was I lavished with presents or got everything I asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Have a friend who's an only child.Christ he's the slowest eater ever.

I have a friend who's an only child and she's married to an only child.
    They are easily the most generous thoughtful people I've ever met.
    Involved in the community with the elderly , sports groups, local schools etc.

They have six boys , mother of Jesus on the cross , you should see feeding time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

I'm an only but there was no money around so I'm definitely not spoilt.

I'm very independent, think nothing of flying halfway across the world by myself.

I do envy those with siblings. Being the focus of my mother's attention could be a little intense. My friends could tear off without a backward glance but I always had to text and let her know I was alive.

I'm happy enough but think I wouldn't want the same for my kid!

Advertisement