Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Previous Tenants Mail

• 27-02-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I've been receiving a previous tenants airtricity mail for a year and a half now and a few weeks ago I put "return to sender, person doesn't live here anymore" on about 15 letters and sent them back...but I am still receiving mail for him from airtricity... how can I stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You probably can't but thanks for the 'heads up', it reinforces my determination never to deal with Airtricity, their systems seem to be chronically disfunctional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I have this same problem.Bank Statements,Bills,flyers and a few Stubbs Gazette letters.(I know this because i could see through the transparent plastic for the address).I would also like to know the best way to tackle this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

mrc1 wrote: »
    I've been receiving a previous tenants airtricity mail for a year and a half now and a few weeks ago I put "return to sender, person doesn't live here anymore" on about 15 letters and sent them back...but I am still receiving mail for him from airtricity... how can I stop this?

1. Just keep marking them return to sender
    2. give airtricity a call.
    3. Inform previous tenant.
    4. Bin them.
    5. Sell your house. These letters aren't worth the hassle.

Really, what other options can you think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I wonder how much waste this spam amounts to yearly

Carbon tax - oh yes yummy revenue, wasted paper, postage, labour - who gives a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrc1

tony81 wrote: »
    1. Just keep marking them return to sender
    2. give airtricity a call.
    3. Inform previous tenant.
    4. Bin them.
    5. Sell your house. These letters aren't worth the hassle.

Really, what other options can you think of?

lols

well it's an apartment, not a house but thanks for the suggestions lol

Tried calling they only accept calls from the customer or the landlord :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For the 1st year any mail from previous residents of my place was sent back as "No longer living at this address". It worked for most companies. Now I just shred anything not addressed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

An Post, by law, are obliged to deliver letters by address and not by name so all you can do really is write 'unknown' on the letter and stick it back in a postbox or hand it back to the postman. If you're lucky, he might remember it in future and not deliver the letters but it's a hard task when you're delivering to 1000 different premesis a day and the mail is primarily sorted by address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Del2005 wrote: »
    For the 1st year any mail from previous residents of my place was sent back as "No longer living at this address". It worked for most companies. Now I just shred anything not addressed to me.

That is a criminal offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Kosseegan wrote: »

:D i usually bin them too. though if they're xmas cards i usually open them to see if there's any money in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I have a rather funny and slightly disturbing story about the same issue.

I have been renting a place in Cork city centre for about three years; Just a few months after moving in, I received mail addressed to the woman that was previously living there; Since a couple of AIB envelopes were in it, I called the landlord to check if he'd still be in contact with her to deliver the mail - and ask her to update her address. Turns out the lady had reportedly moved abroad.

Therefore, only thing I could do was to mark the envelopes as "Unknown" and send them back. Some stopped coming, the AIB ones kept arriving relentlessly. As a matter of fact, it wasn't the only case in the building, as the postbox area was always full of AIB envelopes (most tenants would just see they were not addressed to them and throw them on top of the postbox cupboad).

Fast forward three years, just about to move out, I decided to check what in heavens was in these letters. I know it's technically illegal, but still.
    Hold an behold, AIB was asking to pay a debt of...9.47 Euro!

Now, a simple calculation: a letter a month for 36 months, 55c a letter...it's 19.80 Euro spent for a debt of 9.47...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm still getting mail for the previous owners of my house, too.

They moved out in 2000. That's 13 years of "not known at this address" (I got tired of trying to contact them to get them to update their addresses; stuff comes for 4 different members of their family!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Kosseegan wrote: »

Only if they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that 1) they where delivered and 2) I shredded them.

Advertisement