Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'L' Plate Tabard

• 27-02-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Do any learner permit holders actually wear the mandatory L plate tabard?

I've worn mine on every ride since I got my learner permit in September last year. I have never seen another rider wearing one in the Wicklow area, other than a standard high vis vest or belt.

I'm also starting to feel as though the L plate is a big TARGET on my back (and front!) for other road users.

What are your thought or experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi you probably are right it's all down to inforcement & that is something that is lacking in Ireland.

It's the same story for learner permit holders driving car's without L plates & without a full licence holder with them.

Keep doing what your doing because it could be you that is made example of and the answer to the Guard that everyone does it won't cut.

Happy Biking & put in for your test as soon as you feel ready I put mine off for years and bit the bullet & flew through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Never ever wore the actual "L" plate but always wear the high vis vest, well that is until I got my leathers. If I was riding at night or in a dark environment I still do and I always carry one in my tank bag etc.

The L means fook all TBH its the vest you need on. Just my 2cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Never had one nor ever wore one. Never seen anyone out there wearing one either and I commute daily.

Yes its the law but I'm hoping to just get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Make sure its dirty and looks like it was actually used, throw it on the ground and rub the dirt in. Keep it under your seat, if you ever get stopped say you forgot and put it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do any learner permit holders actually wear the mandatory L plate tabard?

I've worn mine on every ride since I got my learner permit in September last year. I have never seen another rider wearing one in the Wicklow area, other than a standard high vis vest or belt.

I'm also starting to feel as though the L plate is a big TARGET on my back (and front!) for other road users.

What are your thought or experiences?

Apply for your test ASAP and then you don't have to worry about wearing the target, make sure you put down unavailable till the 6 months are up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Passed a guy lastweek in the Kilcock area on a GS500 wearing his vest - fair play to him!
    My wife is out a lot on her bike to get ready for her test next month, she never forgets her vest - I wouldn't let her out without it anyway!
    The law is to wear the vest so get it on! Do your time as a learner, pass your test then take it off - simples!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Steve.N wrote: »
    The law is to wear the vest so get it on! Do your time as a learner, pass your test then take it off - simples!!!

The law is ass and cnuts in German cars seem to hate that L. When I wore it, I constantly had cars up my hole and overtaking me in very very dangerous situations. I always wear Hi-Vis, and it rarely happens now.

L plates on a bike make you look young so ignorant pieces of sh1t think they can bully you off the road, no L plate means they know fook all about you. I'd likely accidentally break someones mirror if they were to play the same sh1t they did when I first started and I came up on them at lights.

So, in short, I never wear the L plate, I always wear the Hi-Vis, gonna get a better Hi-Vis soon though, the one I have is a pretty ugly orange colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

I completed my IBT in October last year and I wear the L Tabard always when I' m out on the bike.

I have no Hesitation wearing it, not only because it's the law but if you are stopped or god forbid have an accident, at least you are covered when you have this on.

Some people are embarassed to wear these type of things, but when you think of it, no one knows who you are under the helmet anyway.

Keep doing what your doing and Like you I also have idiots stuck up my arse, just take your time, it's your life at the end of the day.

(Do your own thing, don't be a puppet on a string!!);)

monuworks wrote: »
    I completed my IBT in October last year and I wear the L Tabard always when I' m out on the bike.

I have no Hesitation wearing it, not only because it's the law but if you are stopped or god forbid have an accident, at least you are covered when you have this on.

Insurance wise, you may be flouting a law, but 1, you're still covered and 2, if they were trying to claim the money back off you and you're still wearing a Hi-Vis, they'd have to prove the L Plate makes you safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

The law is ass and cnuts in German cars seem to hate that L. When I wore it, I constantly had cars up my hole and overtaking me in very very dangerous situations. I always wear Hi-Vis, and it rarely happens now.

L plates on a bike make you look young so ignorant pieces of sh1t think they can bully you off the road, no L plate means they know fook all about you. I'd likely accidentally break someones mirror if they were to play the same sh1t they did when I first started and I came up on them at lights.

So, in short, I never wear the L plate, I always wear the Hi-Vis, gonna get a better Hi-Vis soon though, the one I have is a pretty ugly orange colour.

Agree completely!! When I was teaching herself and going out for spins with her, every arsehole in a Merc and Audi were RIGHT up behind her, scaring the life out of her. So I started riding behind her to watch her lines, and at the same time keeping dicks back away from her. I told her to stop wearing the "L" tabard, and hey presto, it stopped. It really is like a target for knob-ends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Never ever wore the actual "L" plate but always wear the high vis vest, well that is until I got my leathers. If I was riding at night or in a dark environment I still do and I always carry one in my tank bag etc.

The L means fook all TBH its the vest you need on. Just my 2cents.

Agree with you so much.

Its the law to wear the L (and i still do) but its all about the highvis at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Wore the vest once when I started a couple of months back, felt like I had a target on my back instead of the L. So I took it off, now I'm still riding at my own pace, not filtering, building my confidence and it seems that the other road users don't care.

RobertM wrote: »
    ...it seems that the other road users don't care.

They don't. You're a biker, they tend to ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Del2005 wrote: »
    Apply for your test ASAP and then you don't have to worry about wearing the target, make sure you put down unavailable till the 6 months are up.

Thanks for that. My first six months are up but still hadn't thought to apply for the test yet...

Anyone know what the test waiting times are like in Wicklow?

On a related note, do/did you all as learner permit holders avoid using motorways? I have to take an alternate N route to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Im on a learner permit and if i have to use a motorway i will

Personally i dont like them as there boring etc

Much more fun to be had on twisty national roads ;)

On a related note, do/did you all as learner permit holders avoid using motorways? I have to take an alternate N route to get to work.

Horses for courses and all that, but I used the motorways, rode up to Northern Ireland...didn't let a provisional licence stop me doing what i wanted to. I know there's plenty who wouldn't do it or advise against it, but do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Horses for courses and all that, but I used the motorways, rode up to Northern Ireland...didn't let a provisional licence stop me doing what i wanted to. I know there's plenty who wouldn't do it or advise against it, but do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Whatever about using Motorways* don't go up North on a Learners Permit. They are only legal in the South and the PSNI, actually all other Police forces, don't like people driving without a licence. At a minimum you'll have the bike taken off you and if you can't provide a NI address a night in the cells if your caught too late to get to court.

* Why would you want to use a boring motorway on a bike?:confused: Bends and passing cages stuck in lines of traffic is what bikes are for:D

Not sure if your insurance would cover you on a motorway if you're a learner?

Had the other half out yesterday for a 5hr spin down to Wexford, I'm encouraging her to play it all by the book till she's through her test so she had her vest on. The odd w***er gave her not an inch but she's quite a confident rider so it didn't faze her.
    It's 2 penalty points in the UK for not displaying L plates - they should do the same here! Bin the Ls on the vest but still make a hi-vis vest compulsory together with L plates on the bike!
    You're learner for a reason!!

Had the other half out yesterday for a 5hr spin down to Wexford, I'm encouraging her to play it all by the book till she's through her test so she had her vest on. The odd w***er gave her not an inch but she's quite a confident rider so it didn't faze her.
    It's 2 penalty points in the UK for not displaying L plates - they should do the same here! Bin the Ls on the vest but still make a hi-vis vest compulsory together with L plates on the bike!

What benefit does the L have? It's supposed to exist to encourage other road users to have patience with the Learner, this is NOT the case though, there seems to be less patience. For that reason, I'll not wear it, if stopped by a Garda I'll even say that, I always wear Hi-Vis, but the L plate has had people targetting me.

I've found 3 Series Beamers, usually pre-2007 to be the worst for it. Bastards don't give a millimeter.

A gard or a faceless insurance company won't listen to reason they'll just quote the law.
    Bikes are targets anyway whether wearing L plates or not, just a part of biking. I'm riding 24yrs and it has never changed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I wore my L jacket all the time.

A few cars used to come up right behind me too. But it didn't matter when I filtered past them in the traffic!

I think the best way of dealing with them is let them past and then at the next set of lights just pull up beside them, stare in the window and don't say a word. It unnerves most of them . Especially with a tinted visor on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I wore my vest until i noticed it makes me a target. I swear people are less understanding/take more chances with ur life if u have one on. Wearing one is as smart as waving a red flag in front of a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

I've been wearing mine since December last year when I started Biking and I've noticed that YES people do try to overtake me more and it does seem like a target on my back.

I had a pillion on the other day (yes I know I'm not supposed to but... anyway)
    So I took the L Hi Vis off while I had the passenger, and people kept their distance. . I couldn't believe the difference it made to have it off, I'm only on a 125 marauder so can't go much faster than 55mph but people still stayed behind me on country on backroads where before they would've tried to dangerously overtake me.

I still wear it when on my own, just in case I get stopped. And I plan on getting two regular HI Vis's for when I (illegally I know) carry a pillion.

You've 3rd party cover no matter what. There's a slim chance that the insurance company will sue you to recovery costs but it's never happened that I know of.

What ever about the L tabard I think the UK systems of L plates on the bike is the shocking. Bikes don't have big enough surfaces to attach a legal L Plate to, especially at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

My girlfriend only pointed out to me yesterday, having followed me home that with the lock box on the back the L plate on my back can't be seen by following traffic anyway.

Suppose it would eventually be seen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Thanks for that. My first six months are up but still hadn't thought to apply for the test yet...

Anyone know what the test waiting times are like in Wicklow?

I don't know what the waiting times are like; but, if you feel you are ready for it, try to get a letter from work if you are working.

All you need is a leetr on headed paper stating that you need a full licence for your job, and they will give you a cancelation.

I did it myself years back, but we do it in work for staff regular enough.

But you would need to feel you are close enough in your bike skills that you would pass, with a few more lessons and a pre-test.

Del2005 wrote: »

You've 3rd party cover no matter what. There's a slim chance that the insurance company will sue you to recovery costs but it's never happened that I know of.

What ever about the L tabard I think the UK systems of L plates on the bike is the shocking. Bikes don't have big enough surfaces to attach a legal L Plate to, especially at the back.

I'm not sure if you'd be covered when you're breaking the law by being on the motorway - what makes you think that you'd be covered 3rd party regardless?
    Personally I wouldn't take a chance like that only to get some nit picking assurance assessor invalidate a claim when possibly someone else caused the accident.
    What do the big signs say at the sliproad - No Learners!!

The Uk system works fine as you purchases special hard L plates to bolt on your number plate and to your forks.

Anyway, I totally agree with learners wearing L plates - moan all you want - show you can ride safely by passing your test then you can remove them! It's not rocket science!!

- show you can ride safely by passing your test then you can remove them! It's not rocket science!!

Passing the test doesn't show you're a competent rider. It shows you did shit right on the day. I know of at least 4 people who passed their test and really shouldn't be on the road as they're a danger to themselves and others!

Before you get snotty, I passed mine years ago!

Anyway, I totally agree with learners wearing L plates - moan all you want - show you can ride safely by passing your test then you can remove them! It's not rocket science!!

What difference does not having an L plate on make to me when I always wear Hi-Vis no matter what? Every ride I've taken I've worn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

What's the points for no l tabard?

Advertisement