Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'L' Plate Tabard

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

chrismon wrote: »
    What's the points for no l tabard?

I feel like I am targetted less for dangerous driving by other road users, who overtake in some of the more precarious situations when they see an L Plate. They will cut in a couple of feet in front of me at 80kmh, which is just fcuking dangerous.

Then there are the sh1t heads who would encroach on me when stopped at lights keeping up revs trying to get right up my hole for reasons I can't understand. A rearward look usually does the trick, but they just rarely do it at all when not wearing an L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I feel like I am targetted less for dangerous driving by other road users, who overtake in some of the more precarious situations when they see an L Plate. They will cut in a couple of feet in front of me at 80kmh, which is just fcuking dangerous.

Then there are the sh1t heads who would encroach on me when stopped at lights keeping up revs trying to get right up my hole for reasons I can't understand. A rearward look usually does the trick, but they just rarely do it at all when not wearing an L.

I meant how many penalty points for having no l tabart lol.
    Thanks though :)

chrismon wrote: »
    I meant how many penalty points for having no l tabart lol.
    Thanks though :)

Whoops, sorry. I don't think there are any here for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Whoops, sorry. I don't think there are any here for it.

Tis no hassle :D
    Cheers, will have to try find out.
    Cant afford any points on my license. :pac::pac:

I could be wrong, from a bit of googling there I found something mentioning Learner drivers getting 2 penalty points for driving unaccompanied and 2 for failing to display L plates.... but it seemed like you had to be caught doing something else to get the L plate points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Can't affords point so I doubt you could afford up to €1000 fine either.
    There has recently been court fines dished out in Waterford and now the Traffic lads are well aware of the law regarding them. TBH I do see quite a few around here wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Roadskill wrote: »
    Can't afford point so I doubt you could afford up to €1000 fine either.
    There has recently been court fines dished out in Waterford and now the Traffic lads are well aware of the law regarding them. TBH I do see quite a few around here wearing them.

Hmmmmm, I've had a look around and can't see any cases where it was a motorcycle involved. It seems the cases where €1,000 fine was applied is to do with car driving when unaccompanied.

From the penalty point listing (http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf) it does not seem to have any reference to L plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, I've had a look around and can't see any cases where it was a motorcycle involved. It seems the cases where €1,000 fine was applied is to do with car driving when unaccompanied.

From the penalty point listing (http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf) it does not seem to have any reference to L plates.

The cases I had been told about were €200 and €400 respectively for not displaying L plates. A traffic cop told me this who I know well unless he is making it up. The fine is up to €1000.
    There are no penalty points for no L plates ATM just fines. Cases are normally dealt with as a motorist not a displaying L plates. I don't think they will mention what vehicle type but the Garda who told me was in court so is he lying to me to get me scaremongering? who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Roadskill wrote: »
    The cases I had been told about were €200 and €400 respectively for not displaying L plates. A traffic cop told me this who I know well unless he is making it up. The fine is up to €1000.
    There are no penalty points for no L plates ATM just fines. Cases are normally dealt with as a motorist not a displaying L plates. I don't think they will mention what vehicle type but the Garda who told me was in court so is he lying to me to get me scaremongering? who knows.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it is not happening, your source could be 100% correct.

I just could not find anything and the fact is, it is against the law so what ever punishment is there it has to be taken on board when you get on the bike and decide not to obey it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Steve.N wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you'd be covered when you're breaking the law by being on the motorway - what makes you think that you'd be covered 3rd party regardless?
    Personally I wouldn't take a chance like that only to get some nit picking assurance assessor invalidate a claim when possibly someone else caused the accident.
    What do the big signs say at the sliproad - No Learners!!

Your covered if your speeding, break a red light, cross over a continues white line. Once your policy hasn't been cancelled they can't refuse 3rd party claims, they can refuse/reduce comp claims due to your negligence.

If your riding on a motorway without a full licence and someone else crashes into you your the 3rd party so your covered. The fact you shouldn't be there is for the Gardaí not the insurance company. If you crash into the someone they are covered, but you and your bike aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I really think learners should wear their L plates. I know other cage drivers can be complete assholes but at least us other riders know that the person up ahead is less experienced and we can give a little more le-way. If I was riding and saw someone up the arse of an learner rider I would have no issues cutting in between the two and slowing right down to be a bollox :P

Advertisement