Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asics 1170's

Options
  • 27-02-2013 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Has anyone else experienced the Asics 1170's and how were they? I have always been an Asics man, well for the last few years anyway. I started off in 1140's, then 1150's and 1160's after that and no issues. I had a gait analysis last year in the 1160's and they were spot on. I went through 2 pairs of 1160's while training for and completing an Ironman and never experienced an issue while they were new or when doing long runs of 18 miles plus and the full marathon itself.

Now I have started to use a new pair of 1170's my lower legs are killing me, mostly around the side of the calf. I was told that the 1170's were effectively the same as the 1160's except they were 30 grammes lighter around the heel area.

Any suggestions, maybe I need to have another gait analysis done with the 1170's as a starter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Has anyone else experienced the Asics 1170's and how were they? I have always been an Asics man, well for the last few years anyway. I started off in 1140's, then 1150's and 1160's after that and no issues. I had a gait analysis last year in the 1160's and they were spot on. I went through 2 pairs of 1160's while training for and completing an Ironman and never experienced an issue while they were new or when doing long runs of 18 miles plus and the full marathon itself.

Now I have started to use a new pair of 1170's my lower legs are killing me, mostly around the side of the calf. I was told that the 1170's were effectively the same as the 1160's except they were 30 grammes lighter around the heel area.

Any suggestions, maybe I need to have another gait analysis done with the 1170's as a starter?

I would get my gait checked each time if it's free and don't tell them what shoes you are in now. My gait has changed from pronating a lot to almost neutral that flats like DS racer are better than better than something like gt 2170's or whatever for me. 1 Oz lighter ain't much tbh. I feel the flats are defo faster and you may have been a pronator to start with and when you got stronger you don't know.

If you really want to know get gait analysis done by someone who doesn't sell shoes so no vested interest to sell you support shoes which are much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

rom wrote: »

If you really want to know get gait analysis done by someone who doesn't sell shoes so no vested interest to sell you support shoes which are much more expensive.

That will cost money and unless its done as a dynamic test will have absolutely no bearing on your running outcome.

In fact anyone who tells you that 'this shoe is perfect for you' without looking at you running in it and at least 1 or 2 other similar shoes is doing you a disservice. The correct use of gait analysis is to hone in on which shoe is better for you when running.

Just to correct you, ROM, support shoes should cost no more or less than their neutral counterparts.(bar Kayano at €15 more than Nimbus, majority are on price parity).

In answer to the OP, the 1170 is now replaced by the GT1000, again lighter & more flexible across the entire shoe, not just the heel. If the reduced weight & support of the 1170 is causing you issues it would be worth considering a chance of shoe altogether.

I am running in DS racers now and they are a lot cheaper than any of the support shoes I see in the shops. Am I missing something ?

I am running in DS racers now and they are a lot cheaper than any of the support shoes I see in the shops. Am I missing something ?

DS Racers are a race shoe not a technical trainer. Much lighter and more flexible than any of the longer distance training shoes.

Generally racers range €80-€100 are available as both neutral and guidance footwear while technical shoes €120 and upwards.

Thinking of my own footwear, Mizuno Inspire (guidance shoe) is €120 and its equal in neutral is the Mizuno Rider (€120). Where the Elixir is also €120 it is a lighter technical shoe / long racer (neutral equivalent is Precision) and then the Mizuno Musha ('guidance' racer) is €95 and neutral Mizuno Ronin is also €95.

Equivalent step down in the ASICS range would be:

€165 Kayano / Nimbus
    €135 GT2000 / Cumulus
    €120 DS Trainer / Skyspeed or DS Trainer neutral
    €95 DS Racer / Hyperspeed

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Have 1170s myself and suffer from the same problems. had gait analysis done last week and these runners arent suitable for me. all thw same though a very comfortable runner. ive being told that i need a neutral runner so any suggestions perferably ascics ???

• Advertisement

Have 1170s myself and suffer from the same problems. had gait analysis done last week and these runners arent suitable for me. all thw same though a very comfortable runner. ive being told that i need a neutral runner so any suggestions perferably ascics ???
    You should try Mizuno also. I wear ascics and Mizuno. Mizuno doesn't get a hole in the toe after a month that happens with a lot of ascis. Mizuno are a good shoe. You should try on a pair, you might like them. ascics are marketed better.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

You should try Mizuno also. I wear ascics and Mizuno. Mizuno doesn't get a hole in the toe after a month that happens with a lot of ascis. Mizuno are a good shoe. You should try on a pair, you might like them. ascics are marketed better.
    Cheers for that. Will try a pair of Mizunos

When you were told that you had a netural foot did you not get to try on a few shoes?

Its important to try on shoes as part of the process to identify which is best for you. Personally I find it hard to go wrong with Mizuno but be sure to try them on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I have a pair of the 1170's. Was sold them in Elvery's in Dublin. They did gait analysis, said I overpronate a fair bit, told me these were what I needed and that was that.

Listening to that sale's person was a terrible mistake. If I went for a mile run, left shin was killing mew afterwards. Took weeks of rest, first run back and shins killing me again.

Last Wednesday I went down to Amphibian King in Bray. Cannot recommend these guys enough. Analysed my gait, then came back with 4 or 5 different shoes. Tried all of them on and my gait was analysed with each on.

Ended up leaving with a pair of Brooks GTS Adrenaline. I've ran twice in them since Wednesday and my shins are feeling great!!

Long story short go to Amphibian King; knowledgeable, professional and very friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

I have a pair of the 1170's. Was sold them in Elvery's in Dublin. They did gait analysis, said I overpronate a fair bit, told me these were what I needed and that was that.

Listening to that sale's person was a terrible mistake. If I went for a mile run, left shin was killing mew afterwards. Took weeks of rest, first run back and shins killing me again.

Last Wednesday I went down to Amphibian King in Bray. Cannot recommend these guys enough. Analysed my gait, then came back with 4 or 5 different shoes. Tried all of them on and my gait was analysed with each on.

Ended up leaving with a pair of Brooks GTS Adrenaline. I've ran twice in them since Wednesday and my shins are feeling great!!

Long story short go to Amphibian King; knowledgeable, professional and very friendly staff.

An almost identical experience to myself, except I had problems with blisters, and not shins. I'm having shin problems now, but don't think it's as a result of the shoe. Anyway, guys in AK in Ballymount were class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement