Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Geographic Magazine Subscription

Options
  • 27-02-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I have a little problem. I bought Nat Geo there last month. It has the leaflet saying for €19 (Ireland) or £15 (UK) you get yearly subscription. The webpage it tells you to visit does not list ROI as an option and it directs you to an international orders page, where then it lists the price as €28.50 for delivery to Ireland.
    I can just send off the leaflet, but I'm not really comfortable leaving my account details in the post (never have). Is there any way to get it for €19 online??? And is this actually fair/legal??
    Also, does anyone know if the membership goes from Jan-Jan or 12 mths from when you buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

da_shivsta wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have a little problem. I bought Nat Geo there last month. It has the leaflet saying for €19 (Ireland) or £15 (UK) you get yearly subscription. The webpage it tells you to visit does not list ROI as an option and it directs you to an international orders page, where then it lists the price as €28.50 for delivery to Ireland.
    I can just send off the leaflet, but I'm not really comfortable leaving my account details in the post (never have). Is there any way to get it for €19 online??? And is this actually fair/legal??
    Also, does anyone know if the membership goes from Jan-Jan or 12 mths from when you buy?

12 months from when you buy. You could just send them a cheque / postal order with the leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Does the leaflet have an expiry date or mention anything to indicate it's a special offer, e.g introductory price / price only available with this leaflet ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

NG always have a number of different offers at any one time either cheaper subscriptions or free things like jackets or bags.

Have a search in Google before subscribing

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Does the leaflet have an expiry date or mention anything to indicate it's a special offer, e.g introductory price / price only available with this leaflet ?

it's a special offer and gives a webpage which lists the same price for UK customers, just not for us! have googled, have found so many different prices on Amazon, UK versus US site etc.. the €28.50 does include a "free" jacket but I can do without that I think! I guess I will just send off a cheque - I just wondered if anyone might have any info/ Ireland specific webpages. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If you are ordering from NG, ensure that they remove your name from any mailing list and tell therm you do not want your details sold to other parties.

This is a common problem with NG subs. It also occurred after a Bargain Alert post last year.

Of course, if you have no objections to this, go right ahead :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

As much as I love the nat geo magazines, they send out a headwrecking amount of letters and reminders to renew your subscription. Just got one the other day and its not due for 6 months. Going on previous years I will get at least 10 more before the date. Extremely wasteful.
    If there's an opt out for these mailings, use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Have to agree with the last posters - I wouldn't have been bothered subscribing if I knew how much they would haunt me for subscription renewals - not to mention the amount of junk mail that now arrives to me, thanks to NG selling their mailing lists...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

da_shivsta wrote: »
    Hi there,
    If you are ordering from NG, ensure that they remove your name from any mailing list and tell therm you do not want your details sold to other parties.

This is a common problem with NG subs. It also occurred after a Bargain Alert post last year.

Of course, if you have no objections to this, go right ahead

I'd read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056471901 before subscribing to NGS EVER again (you'll need an hour or two to read it but I guarantee you won't subscribe by the end of the read)

I have had a somewhat difference experience, I subscribed about 4 years ago and they are still sending me the magazines without me renewing since :cool:

Did you pay for them?

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Did you pay for them?

Paid them the first year, haven't since :pac:

Boombastic wrote: »
    Paid them the first year, haven't since :pac:

Yeh it's nuts, I got them through the offer on BA, they sent me 2 copies for the last year and still have never charged my CC, they are continuing sending me 1 copy since start of year without me requesting it.

Some organisation

Advertisement