Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea - Get More Leads/Traffic For Your Site - Your Thoughts Please

Options
  • 27-02-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I am chewing over a B2B concept that could have some potential in terms of allowing a business owner to generate more leads / inquiries / traffic / sales for their own website, through advertising offers (e.g. appealing discounts) on another site with which you have synergies.

Without giving it away, the basic idea is that it would be all based around relevance, and there would be a strong local element in terms of targeting your ads. So let's say you run an online DIY supplies store, or a site selling organic food, or wine, etc.

In the case of the DIY store, you could advertise on a gardening supplies website. In the case of the organic food website, you could advertise on a fitness supplements site, or a site offering spa treatments. If you ran a tour company, you could advertise on a range of hotel sites based in the area in which you offer your tours. This would all be done in an automated way, you would simply place your order on the site in minutes and prepay for your ads.

The specifics are another matter, but as a business owner who may have an online business, or an offline business with a website (which may have e-commerce functionality), I would be interested to hear whether you have ever placed an ad on a site with which you have synergies, as illustrated above?

How did you find it, and what were the results?

I'd also be interested in hearing whether you would have an interest in running a trial with a product like this, that would accommodate such a set-up. Obviously you can reach out to partner websites or businesses with which you have relationships, to advertise on their sites, but this concept would allow you to manage this in a structured fashion, as well as letting you reach multiple businesses all at once (i.e. place your ad on multiple sites at the one time, without ever having to approach the businesses who run the sites).

Everything would also be tracked, so that you could gauge the return / ROI for your ad spend.

Look forward to your thoughts!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I hate to be negative but this market is pretty well served by google Adwords and you only pay for actual clicks. The have killed the old web directory business off years ago.
    If I have a specific crossover target market, I can take banner ads in forums etc that serve that community.
    Can't see the appeal myself, sorry.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ideaburst

I hate to be negative but this market is pretty well served by google Adwords and you only pay for actual clicks. The have killed the old web directory business off years ago.
    If I have a specific crossover target market, I can take banner ads in forums etc that serve that community.
    Can't see the appeal myself, sorry.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

If you would take banner ads in forums that serve that community, why would you not take banner ads on an area of a website that serves that same community?

Not sure where you see the difference. Also, you pay for impressions and/or clicks with AdWords - with this platform, you could also choose to pay the same way, and you could also pay for claims on your offer only.

There's no connection to web directories..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

If I understand what you are saying here, you are going to create all these community sites that have the subscriber traffic numbers that make it interesting to me to pay you advertise. I would go to the existing dominant player if i wanted their demographic.
    Or are you suggesting acting as a broker for selling the advertising on existing community sites and take a slice for yourself?
    Surely you are not suggesting another directory type site.
    I am quite old, so forgive me if I have missed your business model, I genuinely can't establish exactly what it is. Please elaborate.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RedRockets

Your talking about creating offers and putting them on other peoples website. Based on your garden/diy example.

As previously stated this can already be done with google adwords. It can also be done with daily deals and facebook. Google also can tell where you have been looking now so if your looking at gardening offers an ad will pop up in front of you. Its all very easily done.

I am a diamond wholesaler. I can pinpoint on facebook who just got engaged. Likewise, i can pinpoint who is a fan of gardening or gerry daly whatever.

I can see where your going and what your trying to do but your a few years late. Sorry.

ps. I am not a diamond wholesaler (wish i was though):D

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

The model you're looking at would seem to be exactly what Google AdSense does.
    I, as an owner of a website choose to create an advert and Google then display this advert on what they call their Display Network, as opposed to their Search Network for AdWords.

The display network consists of websites relevant to mine

There is, in my opinion a lot of room for unscrupulous website owners to subscribe to the display network, accept third party ads on their site and sit clicking them all day long, thereby draining my account with every click!

If there is such a feeling about Google AdSense and I don't think I am alone in that feeling then I can't see a new entrant and a competitor to Google overcoming it.

If you know nothing about AdSense then you should be commended for such a great idea, alas though Google have already thought of it

• Advertisement

Upon some reflection, I've realised you are all correct. The ads would go onto a particular page on a website, but in reality yes, this can be done with AdWords / AdSense, remarketing, etc.

Fear not, I have already moved onto another idea which shows far more promise and - based on my googling so far - appears to be not done yet... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

ideaburst wrote: »
    Upon some reflection, I've realised you are all correct. The ads would go onto a particular page on a website, but in reality yes, this can be done with AdWords / AdSense, remarketing, etc.

Fear not, I have already moved onto another idea which shows far more promise and - based on my googling so far - appears to be not done yet... :)

Your realisation, so quickly that this was not an idea to be pursued and your determination to move onto the next idea is a rare quality to possess!

JMR wrote: »
    Your realisation, so quickly that this was not an idea to be pursued and your determination to move onto the next idea is a rare quality to possess!

Ha why thank you, glad to hear it.

I do find though that when it comes to ideas, invariably someone else has already done it / is doing it. I was thinking of something around conversion optimisation / testing for websites - then you go and find the likes of Unbounce, Optimisely, etc...

I know that you can take a different slant on ideas and that if something is a good idea, there's bound to be someone already on it - but it's tough when competitors are out there already and have venture funding, etc!

We'll keep on trucking anyway :)

Advertisement