Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Policy Question

Options
  • 27-02-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I am currently insured with you on a 15 year old Mitsubishi FTO. For reasons FTO owners can't understand, it's very difficult to insure these cars, despite the limited use by most owners. The price for insurance is also quite high and varies wildly with Liberty. For example; I am 29 with Full NCB and Full Irish license and I paid almost €600 last year to renew TPFT.

A fellow owner living nearby paid over €2,200 and he also has full ncb and full irish license. Our details are almost identical. This is why I am considering moving to a classic policy this year with First Ireland, or Campion, who both offer to take 15 year old cars (or older) onto a classic policy. The cost is under €300 with Campion and I believe it's much less with First Ireland.

I do very little mileage and I am considering getting another car to use as my daily driver, which would make insurance with you guys very impractical. Is there something that can be done here? The FTO really needs to be reconsidered by the underwriters, because most owners take good care of their FTO and they are usually the second car, but the first car to be insured, due to the high rank they are placed in.

I would like to remain with Liberty, but the insurance cost needs to make sense. I had to drop fully comp insurance on my renewal, just to keep the price the same this time around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Liberty Insurance: Catherine

Hi goz83

When your renewal comes around, get in touch and we'll certainly give you our best price.  If you're getting a second car before then, your renewal price may include our Multi Policy Discount, which would apply to both policies. 

There may be other discounts we can offer.  Give us a call or PM when you've got the details of the second car, and we'll get you our best deal.

Regards
    Catherine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hi goz83

When your renewal comes around, get in touch and we'll certainly give you our best price.  If you're getting a second car before then, your renewal price may include our Multi Policy Discount, which would apply to both policies. 

There may be other discounts we can offer.  Give us a call or PM when you've got the details of the second car, and we'll get you our best deal.

Regards
    Catherine

Hi Catherine,

I contacted Liberty today with a view to adding my 1990 Austin Mini to my policy, but I was told I could not add cars to my policy and that I would have to take out a separate policy. That's fine, but I only wanted to add the mini to my insurance until my policy is due for renewal, which would make much more sense. I was then told that I cannot insure the mini with Liberty, because it is more than 20 years old. This is a backwards way of doing business and causes me a significant inconvenience. I have already received quotes to insure both cars Fully Comp for less than I paid Liberty last year for the one car TPFT. I am asking for your assistance now that I require a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Ruth

Hi goz83

I'm afraid we don't offer classic car insurance.  If you have any queries about your existing renewal price, PM your details and I can look into it for you to ensure you are getting the best price.

Regards
    Ruth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hi goz83

I'm afraid we don't offer classic car insurance.  If you have any queries about your existing renewal price, PM your details and I can look into it for you to ensure you are getting the best price.

Regards
    Ruth

A car is not a classic until it is 30 years old Ruth. The mini is 7 years younger than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Ruth

Hi goz83

Unfortunately we do not insure cars that are over 20 years old so we wont be able to provide a quote for your 1990 Austin Mini. If you want us to look at your existing policy, please PM me your details and I can check that you are getting the best price.

Regards
    Ruth

• Advertisement
Advertisement