Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Razor Restoration for TheJims

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Looks so cool. Great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

great job on the blade.. it looks brand new! seeing it altogether makes me nervous of using it on my face lol but I'm excited to try!

Well did u find your drill chuck? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

TheJims wrote: »
    Well did u find your drill chuck? :pac:

Yes, yes I did. I bought one after having a diverting afternoon at a massive mil surplus place. Came home to find mine sitting in a drawer staring up at me.

Peened it last night.

http://imgur.com/a/bMVS0

Honing today all being well.

Can you PM me an address for postage?

address sent! the latest pics are awesome ! cant wait to get my hands on it now, also your Anvil is cool lol

• Advertisement

Once again, looks great :)

DSCN1380.jpg

Right - honing complete:

Progression for the honers amongst you...

In the water - Ice Bear 1200 grit synthetic bevel setter. Was shaving off this but not really popping as I like.

Creamy stone with slurry stone on top = Beligian Coticule bout - natural stone.
    I used the Dilucot method (slurry slowly diluted with water) 3000-5000k grit approx.
    3 progressions on that - slurry to water. Final polish with just water. (8000k grit)
    Hair test was almost there, hairs violined the edge and split.

Here's a video of honing with it. [Click pic]
    th_DSCN1376.jpg

The stone in the box is a "Celebrated water razor hone" - a Thuringian stone similiar to an Esher (about a 20th of the price, mind) A few laps on that to bring the edge close to where I want it. It is a really nice finisher. About 8000-9000k grit.

I ran a couple of laps on the Swaty stone - but I didn't like the feedback from the stone after the Thuringian so stopped. The stone really is a touchup for mid-shave; exactly what a barber hone should be, but I think it needs a finished edge brought to it, rather than an edge being finished by it.

I then stropped on CrOx pasted strop to see where I was. CrOx is about 0.5 microns so about 30k grit. The edge needed some improvement so then when to a 3 micron film (8k grit) and then to a 0.3 micron film ( that's about 40k grit) - a big jump (probably needed a 1 micron in there) but it turned out nice.

50 laps on linen strop then 50 on leather did the world of good.

HHT test is pretty much done deal now.

th_DSCN1378.jpg

I know those look like pubes, but I am a hairy bugger and those are chest hairs - which I find are closer to beard than head hair.

Sorry for the eeeewww! factor Jims but you razor will be put through Alcohol, Peroxide, and Barbacide before I ship it. I promise no trace of my DNA :)

Right, off to shave with it and see is the edge smooth...BRB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Just got into DE shaving so feel like a noob here but...

Best. Thread. Ever.

Didn't realise there was so much to straight razors.

Following this thread like a boss!

daaaaaaaamn MadSL i was so impressed with all the honing and stropping talk then i clicked that last video and am rethinking my entire life! :pac:

seriously thou that hanging hair test is pretty intimidating! didnt realize it would be THAT sharp.. insane!

daaaaaaaamn MadSL i was so impressed with all the honing and stropping talk then i clicked that last video and am rethinking my entire life! :pac:

seriously thou that hanging hair test is pretty intimidating! didnt realize it would be THAT sharp.. insane!

And now you appreciate why everyone talks about putting no pressure on the blade, just letting the blade do the work. Oddly enough, you are less likely to nick yourself if you have a sharp blade.

Don't be intimidated - just commit to 100 shaves with it. Once you have done 100, you'll be a pro at it. You don't have to 'finish' every shave, just start with cheeks, then finish with whatever you normally use. Then build up to neck and so forth.

Did you get a strop yet? If you did, hang it by the toilet and run your (free) hand over it everytime you take a whizz. Oil from your hands will begin to condition it.

• Advertisement

right, pee on the strop .. got ya!

Nah i dont have it yet, going on a trip away in a week or so, so all spare cash has been put away for that, i have a nice list of accessories to get once im back..

Chris from Shaving.ie has recommended a budget few things to me, what do you make of this strop?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Solingen-made-Leather-Strop.html

price is good for a beginners one is all i know

right, pee on the strop .. got ya!

Nah i dont have it yet, going on a trip away in a week or so, so all spare cash has been put away for that, i have a nice list of accessories to get once im back..

Chris from Shaving.ie has recommended a budget few things to me, what do you make of this strop?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Solingen-made-Leather-Strop.html

price is good for a beginners one is all i know

Perfect. You'll slice it up anyway. Practice with a comb for now (buy a handled comb, forget what they call them, y'know the girly ones with a pointy bit) use that on a belt to get the turning action practiced safely.

Right. Shave tested. Dammit, I'm keeping it :D

Kidding, but nice and smooth edge. Wiped off five days growth like spreading toast.

In the post tomorrow. :cool:

....AND posted today.

MadsL wrote: »
    ....AND posted today.

No sign of it yet huh?

No no it arrived during the week! Only think is I'm in London until Tuesday so havnt seen it yet! I'll be ordering my bits and pieces Tuesday with the reminents of my spending money :D

Ah great. Niice to see it didn't vanish in the Atlantic.

Just finished my first shave with the Razor...

It was an experience! :pac:

Seemed to go well, obviously missed a few bits now looking back over my face... Don't think i had enough water in the cream, as it seemed to solidify near the end of the shave, maybe coz i was taking so long and being extra careful!

Nicked myself 3 times, both sides on my nostril and on my upper cheek..

wasn't too sure how to tackle certain areas so was making it up as i was going along..

then finished with a cold water rinse.. rub of the big block, and applied the stick to the cuts..

My face is stinging atm but i enjoyed it!

Stupid question... what am i "supposed" to use to clean off the blade after each stroke...? atm I'm rinsing it under a hot tap.. am I men't to use a hand towel to wipe off cream and hair?? or is the tap the right idea?

Have had my 3rd shave today and neck is very itchy and red since i started.

Could be just my skin getting used to shaving again, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong, per and post shave routine issue, possibly pulling blade against the grain?

Stupid question... what am i "supposed" to use to clean off the blade after each stroke...? atm I'm rinsing it under a hot tap.. am I men't to use a hand towel to wipe off cream and hair?? or is the tap the right idea?

Could be just my skin getting used to shaving again, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong, per and post shave routine issue, possibly pulling blade against the grain?

Read this first and was like, what the hell are you doing shaving three times in the one day. Ha

I rinse it in the sink thats full of hot water, usually a good swirl around gets rid of everything on it. If not I drag it on the towel, away from the blade.

If you are red and itchy maybe you just need to be careful you are using the right technique, hardly any pressure!

I wouldn't go against the grain at all with the straight, I am on my probably 20th shave with it and I still haven't dared to go ATG, no need to really.

• Advertisement

my tech is defiantly wrong somehow, Im far too nervous to be taking notice of what Im doing just yet.

But even on the simple first strokes on the cheek, Im getting alot of "drag" on the razor as in its not sharp enough for my beard maybe?

i don't see how that's possible though as MadSL sent it to me completely shave ready.

I stropped it before my 2nd shave to see if i cud sort it out, but didn't make too much of a difference, so must be down to Tech.. Im sure it'll come with time and practice

Edit: i didnt phrase the "3rd shave" part well, this is my 3rd shave in 8 days :P

Hitemfrank honed mine for me as I didn't think it was that sharp when i first got it. I still don't think it was. But I did a bit more reading anyway on technique. Most places you read 30 degree angle, when in fact about a 10 degree angle works best for me. So maybe play about with the angles you have the blade at?

I still find some areas really hard and sometimes I still go for a first pass with a safety razor and then the second pass is usually glorious with the straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Is the edge I put on that razor still good enough?

Yeah, its great! Definitely will be thinking of buying a more aesthetically pleasing razor in the future.

Thanks!!

That's the right idea. A very light strop afterwards. Make sure the blade is completely dry afterwards. I used to rest mine for a while on one of those large silica bags that come in electrical items.

Use less pressure and drop your standards of how close a shave you want for a while - it does take a while for your skin to adjust. Never shave anything that isn't covered in shave soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Nicely done, congratulations.

Advertisement