Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amount of relationships?

• 27-02-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

After having a conversation with a friend, we somehow got onto the topic of relationships and how many do people have before they get married/stick with one? Thought it would be interesting to get an average.

Ill start, i'm 21 and have had 1 relationship.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Are you married OP?

Because if you're not it doesn't really provide any information for your survey at all.

So when you said, you'll start did you actually mean you'll pollute the data of this scientific study with inaccurate results? Because that's what you're doing.

I hope you're happy young man. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

37 and lost count, genuinely I really don't know but only two lasted more than a year, the rest were more casual and typically three to six months. Haven't met anyone I wanted to stick with yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

People have different ideas about when dating someone becomes a relationship really. Might need to define it to get meaningful answers.
    I usually don't like defining things when I'm seeing someone, but I've cohabited with four women - so I guess I have to count those. Longest time seeing any of them was 5 years. The number includes my gf, whom I do intend to stick with.

edit: I'm 33.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

2 fairly serious ones.

It's hard getting back out there after a serious relationship, I'm out if the latest 6 months now and I've yet to even try meeting anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Do mannequins count?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Your talking about humans, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

depends on what you define as a relationship.

If we're talking more than a year, then three.

If we're talking more than three months, then about 10. I'm just about 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Do mannequins count?
    If they can make a sammich then yes they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread needs more poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

OP just so you know, your hand doesn't count. So you may wanna revise your relationship count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Do Palmella and her five sisters count as one?

EDIT: Dammit Nabber!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SunKing

I had a tamagotchi once....

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

How long do you have to date them before it counts? Will 2 times count or is it a several month thing? Details, I want details.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Right, lets say a relationship that is like defined as 'going out'. And has to of lasted for at least two months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Right, lets say a relationship that is like defined as 'going out'. And has to of lasted for at least two months!

Does the person have to be alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Does the person have to be alive?

Nope. I don't discriminate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Is there an upper age limit? Just for the gerontophiles among us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I've had 6 official relationships since 14 years of age, one lasted 4 years, I'm almost 23 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A 2 month relationship when in school or college can seem like a big deal when you haven't much else to compare it to. Once you're on your third marriage that school thing may not seem like a relationship at all in fact what was her name again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Do they have to be mutual?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

I've had 6 official relationships since 14 years of age, one lasted 4 years, I'm almost 23 now.

Slapper

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I married my next door neighbour when we were about 6. We never officially called it off, so I guess that's my longest one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I married my next door neighbour when we were about 6. We never officially called it off, so I guess that's my longest one.

She married me when we were 7, said I was her first, F**KIN SLUT

Where To wrote: »
    Do they have to be mutual?

How many have you stalked??? :eek::eek:

Just to be clear are non-consensual relationships in or out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Two - current one (husband and all that palaver), first one was a nasty fcuker in England, but I didn't know any better.
    I had a few short term ones in my teens but don't really count them, as they were only a few week/month things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

twenty nine and never had one,have never had any level of sexuality before, aka non/asexuality,added to classic autism have got no interest,attachment or connection to people whatsoever,but have got profound attachment and connection to animals,just not in a sexuality way before this gets turned into a pro bestiality comment.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

i was with one girl 3 times, id say for around 5 months at a time, she was a weirdo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

i was with one girl 3 times, id say for around 5 months at a time, she was a weirdo

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am 26, one serious relationship (for the last 6 years) and two not very serious, couple of months sorts of things. Don't see myself leaving this relationship with a second child on the way without huge problems, so I'd say that's me settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Do sheep count.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Do sheep count.

Yeh but their numeracy skills aren't as good as humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Scruffles wrote: »
    twenty nine and never had one,have never had any level of sexuality before, aka non/asexuality,added to classic autism have got no interest,attachment or connection to people whatsoever,but have got profound attachment and connection to animals,just not in a sexuality way before this gets turned into a pro bestiality comment.:P

Are you happy with this situation? Do you ever feel you are missing out on anything? And last question (:o, sorry) - would you like to have kids at some point?

Am interested - I hope am not offending you in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Queen-Mise wrote: »

Are you happy with this situation? Do you ever feel you are missing out on anything? And last question (:o, sorry) - would you like to have kids at some point?

Am interested - I hope am not offending you in some way.

Recently engaged at 25.

I've had a few relationships before that ~ around 3 depending on your definitions.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    How many have you stalked??? :eek::eek:
    I've been the stalkee more of often than the stalker, surprising as that may sound.

I've had a few, but then, again, too few to mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

before marriage, tbh one feels like a marriage to me so (because) I don't get involved that way often.

Even when they were over they weren't really over was still legal documents to be processed, in our heads. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

In my mid-20s, one long-term boyfriend, and a few smaller 'things' (wouldn't call them relationships). Single for a few years now.

tomboylady wrote: »
    In my mid-20s, one long-term boyfriend, and a few smaller 'things' (wouldn't call them relationships). Single for a few years now.
    You said you'd never tell.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

You said you'd never tell.:(

It had to come out sooner or later. Whoops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

26 and 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm 27, and have been in 2.

By relationships i assume you mean those that survive past the walk-of-shame moment?

Have been in 2 long term.

First for 7 years, and the current for 2 years and counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I've been the stalkee more of often than the stalker, surprising as that may sound.

I've had a few, but then, again, too few to mention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Vp642ERhM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Thread disappoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just the one. Been with my husbag since my teens. Two kids, a mortgage and two mutts so that's me stuck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

23, 3 not so serious more of a fling (Friend with benefit) and 1 serious long term.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that when you come out of a long term relationship, they realize how great single life is and are turned off the whole marriage and settling down thing?

maybe I've just gotten to use to single life ... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

24 and have had one relationship that lasted 2 years. Ended 6 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

24 and just the 1 proper one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

24 and have had one relationship that lasted 2 years. Ended 6 weeks ago.
    xLexie wrote: »
    24 and just the 1 proper one.

Interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm 42 and on my third relationship. 1st was 16 years, 2nd was 4 years and current is 4 years and still going strong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement