Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebooking dead people

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I wonder though are these kinds of considerations just current social mores which will fade away as social media becomes more & more integrated into our lives. Years ago when mobile phone use started to become widespread it was frowned upon (by most people anyway) to take a call when out in a cafe/pub, you'd step outside to do so rather than chatting away in front of your companions. Nowadays, unless it's too noisy or the signal is bad people generally seem to be fine with chatting/texting/twittering on their phones while out - ignoring the person/people with them until they're finished.

Will stuff like tagging people's coffins ("John has just checked into Mount Jerome Cemetary"), etc which now seems incredibly crass & stupid become perfectly normal over time, as has happened with previously unacceptable mobile phone behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

AnonoBoy wrote: »

It's already happened. Heard someone on the Ray D'Arcy show talking about that years ago. They petitioned the company to save the number or something like that.
    Yeah that was the one I heard too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

PlainP wrote: »
    Philosophist???
    Psycho something?
    Literacy skills are not there anymore, English isn't my first language btw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Posting on the wall is a bit much, but to message someone who you would always talk to when they were alive is not weird at all. It's a bit of comfort, to feel like things havent changed that much. Someone I know died a while back and I think it made it easier for people to comment on their Facebook in the same way they always did. Maybe it's unhealthy I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I post music videos to a friends' wall who passed away last year every now and again. I think about him often and, visiting his page and looking up things we did on Facebook is....not exactly a comfort, it doesn't make me feel better, but it's just something I do, to remember him by, because he was a cool guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Custardpi wrote: »
    Facebook & Twitter have become so much a part of people's lives that before long we'll see gravestones with integrated scrolling FB/Twitter feeds on them. Actually I'm surprised we haven't seen that already.

It's closer than you think!!!

http://www.monuments.com/living-headstones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I know one family when their mother died, one of the children who lives abroad couldn't make it home for the funeral so they had someone come and video it. Although I can understand the reasoning behind it was still so strange.

Also have another friend on facebook who's mother died a number of years ago and he would regularly post status update's like "miss you so much ma" and "I'll be down to see you later ma".

Very odd behaviour imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

RoryMac wrote: »
    Someone better warn them that the mobile provider recycles unused numbers after about a year, you don't want to be there when the called phone answers!!

She doesn't do it anymore. It was in the months immediately after the death. Just a way of coping, I think.

Advertisement