Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job/PPS no/Bank a/c & House

Options
  • 27-02-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Looking for some advice!:D:D

Planning moving over to Ireland but have no idea the best way to go about certain things.

Going to be looking for a job & getting somewhere to stay

To get a job I think I need a PPS number...? How do I get this by the fastest/easiest way? Do I need this before an employer will consider me?

Also.. opening a bank account I need proof of address but will not have a permanent address when I first go over.. is there ways around this or what is the best thing to do? What do I need to open this?

Also.. what do you need to rent as I will not have a job yet. What are land lord requirements and what is the minimum rental periods/average rent price/ deposit etc. How can I prove I can afford it?

Am I entitled to any benefits or can I maybe transfer my benefits over with me?

Any advice would be much appreciated!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why are you even THINKING of coming here?? :confused: The economic situation is dire, and the job situation is worse...

Do you even have a job lined up?

In any case. The first step is to get a PPS no. You will have to prove that Ireland is now your permanent residence. Details of how to apply are here. You cannot work until you have one.

You then have to get accommodation. When you do, ensure that the utilities are put in your name (The bank will also want the bills as proof of address), and get a lease with your name and address on it.

Benefits? Contrary to what some people might think, you have to undergo a means test by Welfare AND provide proof of stamps paid (I assume you're in the UK) in the form of either a P45 or a P60, before you're paid a penny. Don't lie as Welfare will check with the DWP in Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dnx0150

My boyfriend lives there so that's why I am moving.

His living arrangements will not suit us and so we will need seekers
    Else.

So if a PPS first.. Is there any way at all I can get one before I go??? Is there no way I can get something in my name to his address now as proof or.... Get a phone bill posted there or what??

About the bank..... I would want one ASAP so can I maybe get added onto his account or what is the best thing to do?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

My strong advice to you is stay where you are. I don't care how much you want to be with your fella, believe me, there is pretty much no hope you will get a job anytime soon( I sincerely hope I am wrong), and mooching in a place of your own alone is not an ideal start by any means.

I have 3 years experience In the bank... Surely that wud help no??

I am more concerned about the whole proof of address/PPs number and bank account.... I would have much preferred that To be done before I came.. I know there Is ways to get around this???

Basically want to go making sure everything is In place to just start applying for jobs immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

You can work without a PPS number but you will be on emergency tax code until you get one.

You could apply for one when you arrive here and I would be pretty sure you would have it by the time you get a job.

Think long and hard about your decision, job prospects here are virtually none existent, having bank experience isn't any good if the banks are not hiring.

I wish you all the best but it will be a big strain on the two of you living on your partners income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You can work without a PPS number but you will be on emergency tax code until you get one.

You could apply for one when you arrive here and I would be pretty sure you would have it by the time you get a job.

Think long and hard about your decision, job prospects here are virtually none existent, having bank experience isn't any good if the banks are not hiring.

I wish you all the best but it will be a big strain on the two of you living on your partners income.

There are plenty of job opportunities for the right people with the right skills, manufacturing has seen an increase, software and ICT industries are crying out for people. However in terms of banking there is not much work except for a few specific areas in banking.

OP, you should also note this: The State limit for a couple is E312, If your partner earns anything over that, you won't get a penny.

Can your partner not move to the UK? You'd be crazy to move here. Seriously.

You need to really think about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you're asking a lot of complicated questions here - some of the advice you're getting has some truth in it, but is mixed up with a few issues / assumptions you're making.

Firstly, you didn't ask about job prospects or industries. Yes, it is dire in some areas. But not all: whether you get a job or not will depend on what skills you have. If you happen to speak a European language (eg German, French, etc) then it will be a lot easier for you to get work. I suggest reading some of the other threads on this forum about this.

[modnote: I will be deleteing any more posts that just say "don't come, there are no jobs" as off-topic and unhelpful.]

Secondly, you did ask about the administrative process. It's five years since I did it, so some details may have changed. But as I remember ...

You cannot get a PPS number or a bank account before you move to Ireland, with some limited exceptions about the PPS if you're coming to a job.

However you only need to be in the country (not permanently or even habitually resident) to get them.

Legally, you can look for a job and start work without a PPS number. However some employers (particularly multinationals) won't accept applications unless you can tell them your PPS number - it's what they file the application under. And most employers will not be able to pay you until you have a bank account.

You start by getting the PPS: check the Welfare website for exactly what you need to bring, and how to make an appointment:- you may need to bring a long-form birth certificate from your home country with you. You will need an address for them to post your PPS number to - and it's important to choose this address wisely, see below re bank accounts.

If you cannot stay with your partner, one option is to stay in a backpacker hostel. (Sound grotty - but it could be worse - it's not forever .. an at least you will be in the same country as your partner).

Next, the bank account. for this, you need two proofs-of-address. Your PPS-number letter is one of them. The other can be a lease agreement - or if your name isn't on the lease, the lease and a letter from the lease-holder saying that you're staying there. Or many backpacker hostels will give you a letter saying that you are living there once you have booked/paid for at least a few weeks - ask them what their policy is. Some (but not all) banks also have policies saying they need a letter from your employer, but this bit can generally be got around.

Regarding welfare eligibility: if you're coming from the EEA (and I assume you are, given that you didn't ask about immigration issues), then you may be able to bring your entitlements with you. You need to check this with Welfare (Www.welfare.ie). But as someone said, if you are living together with your opposite-sex partner, then you may be means-tested against their income. Any more discussion about this should go in the State Benefits forum.

Hope that helps - and good luck with the move.

Sorry, Mrs O. But I needed to correct something in your post.

In order to bring over EEA stamps, you need to have paid two full stamps here, before you can do so. Therefore, the OP will definitely need to get a job, if only temping to get the stamps brought over.

So I cannot rent until I have a job..... but do not have a job to afford to rent.

Very confusing.

I would have somewhere to stay as my BF stays with his friend who has a house but it could only be for a very very short time period..

Is there any way I can get my BFs friend to write a letter stating I live there in order to get a bank account?... I know that Ulster bank is part of RBS so if I had an RBS account would this be ok to just use in ireland?

I will be leaving my current employer just a week before I go therefore.. will wage slips from there be any use?

Also .... roughly and realistically.. what is a good amount to bring in order for security. I know there is no limit and just as much as possible... but what is a realistic amount to give me time to get sorted?

• Advertisement

of money that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Daft.ie to check accomodation prices, maybe a house share

6 months rent, and €200 a week to feed, heat and transport yourself until you get a job.

If you have to seek benefits, prepare for a hard time and an extended wait.

Emigration is never easy, and jobs are only really found, unless you have some of the few sought after skills, through word of mouth.

Can understand why you want to move, but don't leave a job unless you're confident about your future here. Maybe try the jobs websites, but realise the employment situation is difficult here with many candidates for every job :)

I still use my NatWest account here. There's no problem with that. But you need an Irish account to pay your salary into.

If you get the letter written, you'll still need to provide a PPS no. sooner or later. How are you going to do that?

If you're applying for benefits, then you should know if you tell Welfare you're co-habiting, then your partner's salary will be taken into account whether you pay stamp here or not. I've already mentioned that you need to show proof you've been paying stamp before you can access benefits. You can apply to have your stamps brought over once you've been working two weeks or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

You are more likely to get into a house share with your lack of irish employer / landlord references, a lease may be more difficult to get without a larger deposit / more months rent in advance.

What part of the country?

How about if im added onto my BF's bank so its a joint a.c... will that work? (for a short while only)

No idea how to go about the PPS number... cant get my head around it all yet!

Im not too bothered about benefits i think i can maybe transfer dole over from here anyway.

Its dublin area..... so expensive rent. I wonder if we could rent privately? any good sites that advertise private rent?

Daft.ie would be a good place to start. Put up a thread in the Accomodation & Property forum for further advice.

Dole can only be transferred for 78 days here. Not sure about the UK. You need to speak to the DWP for further advice.

I have done that now..

do you know if the joint bank account idea would work?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

They'll still want proof of address and a letter from a friend will not suffice.

ok thanks very much

:-(

so basically...

i move over, get somewhere to stay (which seems impossible without a job), then a bill will be in my name, get a bank a/c and PPS number..... and ONLY then.. can i apply for jobs.

my god! surely thats not the easiest way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Maybe it's wiser to stay where you are until you have a bit of money behind you so that renting for a few weeks while you look for work won't be so much of a problem.

Once you arrive find somewhere to live and apply for your PPS number. Banks may accept your lease and any official correspondence in relation to your PPSN as proof of address. These are things that only take a couple of weeks. You can look for work as and when is convenient.

• Advertisement

this sounds rly random....... but...

apparently a dog license is 20euro and is classed as a 'bill in my name' at the address of my BFs friend..

would this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, I've heard that a dog license will work - not tried it myself, but have been told.

OP, this is not as hard as you're making it out. Roughly, you need to:

- get an Irish mobile phone ('cos prospective landlords, employers etc need to contact you)

- get temporary accommodation (options include at your BF's friends house, if the friend will write an official looking letter saying that you live there, or a hostel or weekly rate at a BnB - just ask what their policy is re writing a letter saying you live there and choose a place that will do so).

- apply for a PPS number. See the Welfare site for details.

- find a job

- open a bank account (once you've received the PPS number)

- find more permanent accommodation (and don't forget to tell the bank and Revenue what you new address is).

Hundreds, if not thousands, of people do this every year. You can too, just set your mind to it.

One tip: you will need to deal with lots of bureaucrats / clerks / etc. Treat these people well (be polite, get the documents they ask for you, think ahead about what they might be going to ask for) and things are likely to go a lot more smoothly.

Thanks very much .... Finally something positive :) real helpful

Advertisement