Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 18 League and Cup - Banter & Bile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

4 tries to one up at 50 mins think i'm into the next round:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Got a handy draw in round 4. This jammy cup run is exactly what I need! I reckon there's another couple of rounds left in me if the draw continuos to go good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Got a handy draw in round 4. This jammy cup run is exactly what I need! I reckon there's another couple of rounds left in me if the draw continuos to go good! :)

Nothing like a good draw to help you through a bit of financial strife....!

my first "game" of the season today. Been WNWIM so far, stars look okay. If I don't win its just a tactical FU on my part.

Getting worried about my game. was 36-0 up. Now oppo have gotten 2 tries. Really dont wanna give them try BP. FFS: happens in the 78th minute. Can I blame FOTG?

no easy match in the cup for me this week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

crisco10 wrote: »
    My girlfriends team are playing GH's team in the cup tonight...in the words of Kevin Keegan "I would love it..."

But in the words of me, she doesn't stand a chance. :-(

Is that Mauling Bear? I always forget who's gf is which team.

GH is a tough one to play against, if he's doing the famous 25/25/25/25 split, well, there's no real way to plan against it effectively.

Ah, beginning to wonder about my league. All the CSR numbers suggest I should be having some close matches, but so far I've been coming away with some pretty decisive wins. There's the temptation to just apply WNWIM all the time, but one slip up defeat could cost me the rankings to auto-promote and I'd be having Daheff style bad times. Hmm. Also have a lad from my league in the cup, and I never WNWIM a non-bot cup match, so hopefully he gives me a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Is that Mauling Bear? I always forget who's gf is which team.

no, mauling bear is wex's gf. but who ever it is i think we would all like to see them beat GH.

no, mauling bear is wex's gf. but who ever it is i think we would all like to see them beat GH.

Ah! Knew she was someone around here's :)

The partial brilliance of GH's tactics just dawned on me when I made the post above. No matter what defence you go for, you're only going to stop 25% of his attack effectively, giving him 75% to cut you up with. I guess you just have to make sure you scout his defense and pile plenty of attack at that weak spot and hope you tip the scales, but there's no real way to combat his attacks more effectively.
    It's not how I'd like to play the game, but you have to admit that in an odd way GH has secured his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

3 matches in and sitting with 14/15 points on top of the table in Div II...:cool:

enjoying while it lasts, have the big boys coming at me know. first up Galway chiefs this weekend! :o

Still raking up the points early will give em cushion for season close to secure top 4 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

Ah! Knew she was someone around here's :)

The partial brilliance of GH's tactics just dawned on me when I made the post above. No matter what defence you go for, you're only going to stop 25% of his attack effectively, giving him 75% to cut you up with. I guess you just have to make sure you scout his defense and pile plenty of attack at that weak spot and hope you tip the scales, but there's no real way to combat his attacks more effectively.
    It's not how I'd like to play the game, but you have to admit that in an odd way GH has secured his position.

read what the docs say about drift fewi its interesting a lot of peoples take on drift is wrong going by the docs.

also 33% drive expansion and creative is the perfect attack but you need to have a very good all round team with stars everywhere at the same time

seanand wrote: »
    read what the docs say about drift fewi its interesting a lot of peoples take on drift is wrong going by the docs.

also 33% drive expansion and creative is the perfect attack but you need to have a very good all round team with stars everywhere at the same time

Yeah, that's what the docs have always said really, yet there's still the whole rush better against driving etc. idea. Of late I've been using defense more with the set-piece in mind, but still can't get past the notion of picking a defense to counter their attack.

33% all round leaves only 1% for PnG? Would you really do that? In my head I just can't see a match without some lads rumbling up the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

The one thing I really enjoy about this game is that there really are no over buggy tactics, creative use to be but J has reduced it's effectiveness massively! personally tactics are all about playing to your strengths and where possible creating mismatches against your opposition and then spamming to a certain degree those strong areas. Driving is hugely effective for clubs but is completely useless for Senior Nt teams as every forward has a min of 18 strength and technique so you tend to get very little reward for lot's of possession, P&G if you have nippy forwards and a strong S/H can be devastating, especially at NT level where some teams have slow forwards. It can backfire though if they have bing centres with high technique, turnover central! so many different ways to play the game that it's impossible to give solid advice as it all boils down to one set of math V another.

Phonehead wrote: »
    The one thing I really enjoy about this game is that there really are no over buggy tactics, creative use to be but J has reduced it's effectiveness massively! personally tactics are all about playing to your strengths and where possible creating mismatches against your opposition and then spamming to a certain degree those strong areas. Driving is hugely effective for clubs but is completely useless for Senior Nt teams as every forward has a min of 18 strength and technique so you tend to get very little reward for lot's of possession, P&G if you have nippy forwards and a strong S/H can be devastating, especially at NT level where some teams have slow forwards. It can backfire though if they have bing centres with high technique, turnover central! so many different ways to play the game that it's impossible to give solid advice as it all boils down to one set of math V another.

That one post has opened my eyes to a new way of thinking about the game :)

Or rather, allowed me to go back to the way I used to imagine the game, before I started assuming the match engine didn't take such details into account all that much.

Phonehead wrote: »

Ah the creative days, used to play with 50% creativity and destroy teams that hadn't discovered the bug. then he changed it and I all of a sudden had no teeth and couldn't find dentures quick enough to patch over my teams deficit!

took time to build a better team and improve, as that bug masked a lot of deficiencies, have a tactic now that works (with tweaking depending on opposition!)

:(my wednesdays are free

westman1 wrote: »

I forgot about the cup again - damn work!

first team out again, and not only on normal.. but my reserves where good enough mostly. AND the team rolled over - won well.

Think he is a boards player? trippie?

roll on next week - Yermen is definitely a boards team right?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Yeah trippie is from here...

I'm through to the last 16 in Poland... Should make the quarters as well, looking at the team I am facing in the next round.

westman1 wrote: »

:(
    eoferrall wrote: »
    I forgot about the cup again - damn work!

first team out again, and not only on normal.. but my reserves where good enough mostly. AND the team rolled over - won well.

Think he is a boards player? trippie?

roll on next week - Yermen is definitely a boards team right?

Yup, both Boardsies.

Ugh, I remembered the cup, but had total overkill. Had a mixed 1sts/2nds team out on normal, and won 102 - 3 or something. Bah!

Next week I've another newer team, so should be alright til round 7.

Got thru with mostly 2nds on wnwim. Got a newish team next week so hopefully will be around another round r 2!

my farm affiliate is through to the next round yet my two serious teams are knocked out a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

yeah i threw that game in the cup, trying to manage my energy after two very tough losses to start my season.

• Advertisement

Trippie wrote: »
    yeah i threw that game in the cup, trying to manage my energy after two very tough losses to start my season.

I am trying to manage it, but two weeks in a row forgetting to set cup teams is killing me. throwing the league match today to save energy and give everyone a rest. be lucky to win it so not going to try!

Easy win again today. Feel like I need to promote or go crazah.

I am trying to manage it, but two weeks in a row forgetting to set cup teams is killing me. throwing the league match today to save energy and give everyone a rest. be lucky to win it so not going to try!

very weird, put out mostly seconds and decided to hit normal... sure why not! and ended up winning... he normaled too. must scout his team and see how many first he had out.

very odd, logged in expecting a loss.

Easy win again today. Feel like I need to promote or go crazah.

Funny how the boards crew have evolved, remember a few seasons ago most of us would have been happy to be cruising Div 3! Now we have a good contingent in Div 2 and lots of teams above the auto promote line in Div 3...

I notice you're below auto-promote fewi, maybe you should be looking for tough opponents on Monday night here and there to get more ranking points? (or are you still in the cup?)
    very weird, put out mostly seconds and decided to hit normal... sure why not! and ended up winning... he normaled too. must scout his team and see how many first he had out.

very odd, logged in expecting a loss.

Love that feeling! Just think, a win. And your firsts rested! nice.

Got a nice win over Daveharnett myself yesterday, normalled with a mostly first team. Was 15-0 up, then had a heart attack as he came back to 15-14, but won 21-14. Think it's the first time I have ever beaten him on the same intensity.
    My contentment is sitting steady at ~75. Very annoying, and looking at my league ranking points, there are very few opportunities for me to get good bumps to contentment. Oh well, suppose that trades off with probably WNWIMing my way to Round 6 of the cup...the swings and roundabouts of BR!

crisco10 wrote: »
    Funny how the boards crew have evolved, remember a few seasons ago most of us would have been happy to be cruising Div 3! Now we have a good contingent in Div 2 and lots of teams above the auto promote line in Div 3...

I notice you're below auto-promote fewi, maybe you should be looking for tough opponents on Monday night here and there to get more ranking points? (or are you still in the cup?)

Yeah, it's really nice to see how it's evolving on Boards. Was thinking of setting up a mentor program. It was a complete failure the first time it was attempted on the off-site, but maybe since we're a smaller community here it'd work.

Am I? Feck, I was above it last time I checked. May be due to an English team being a bit tricksy in a Monday friendly and normalling with their first team while I did the usual 2nds WNWIM.
    Still in the cup, and probably will be next round too, so hopefully that'll give me the bump necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm into round 5 in the cup, but will go no further! I play Ravenhill Rebels, who I would sturggle to beat their seconds if I was TNT and they were NWIM :D

On the plus side, it's away and they're going well in Div III, with a 12,000 stadium, so hopefully get a couple of quid out of it!

Pushed my luck as far as I could go I reckon!

a bot for pi farm team so going to make it to round 5 anyway and my main and irish affiliate the dannys are out its a bit ****

seanand wrote: »
    a bot for pi farm team so going to make it to round 5 anyway and my main and irish affiliate the dannys are out its a bit ****

Oh well, more money into the training fund then!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

topping my league for a change

• Advertisement

Good stuff! keep up the good work.

I am too - won't last. thought I would be overtaken last weekend, but successfully blagged a win. shall see how we go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement