Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born in Northern Ireland, do I need Irish for university or leaving cert?

• 27-02-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I was born in Northern Ireland but I've lived and gone to school in the south all my life. Do I need to have Irish to to go to university/college and do I have to do it for the leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I'm fairly sure you do. Do you do it now? I know a couple of guys who moved here from England and they joined up in 5th class and it was compulsory for them to do Irish, even though they had a lot to catch up on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 delphinium123

Yeah I've always done Irish in school but I've never been any good at it, I just find it impossible to do well in, I can barely pass. None of my other subjects are a problem I can get A's in all of them at higher level but Irish is just impossible to me and its stressing me out a lot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

If you have a passport with a birth place outside of the 26 counties you do not have to sit the Irish LC..! But you will have to get on to NUI for this to be enacted for entry to university. Hope this helps :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Short answer, no.

Long answer: No but there's paperwork involved and you still have to study Irish. You have to learn it because you went to school here from an early age and therefore the Department of Education requires you to. If you started school in the Republic before you were 11 you could have got exempted altogether.

As for colleges, the only universities that require Irish are the NUIM and NUIG, UCD, UCC and NUI associated colleges. But they will exempt you from this entry requirement if you were born outside the 26 counties. You have to fill out a form and send it in with a copy of your non-Irish birth cert and that'll do. So basically you have to learn it but if you screw up Irish in the Leaving Cert, it doesn't matter.

It's really confusing, I just went through all this 2 months ago. Hope to have helped :) PM me if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 delphinium123

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Short answer, no.

Long answer: No but there's paperwork involved and you still have to study Irish. You have to learn it because you went to school here from an early age and therefore the Department of Education requires you to. If you started school in the Republic before you were 11 you could have got exempted altogether.

As for colleges, the only universities that require Irish are the NUIM and NUIG, UCD, UCC and NUI associated colleges. But they will exempt you from this entry requirement if you were born outside the 26 counties. You have to fill out a form and send it in with a copy of your non-Irish birth cert and that'll do. So basically you have to learn it but if you screw up Irish in the Leaving Cert, it doesn't matter.

It's really confusing, I just went through all this 2 months ago. Hope to have helped :) PM me if you have any more questions.

Thanks a lot that's really helpful!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 homeandabroad

Do you know what course you want to do? It's not true that you have to have Irish for every course, a lot of technical courses, for example don't require you to pass it, the requirement is usually Irish OR English. If you have an idea of what course you want to do then go on the CAO website and go to the course you want and check out the entry requirements.
    Lots of people struggle with Irish, if it was compulsory for all courses a lot of people wouldn't be able to study at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

I was born in amsterdam (both my parents are Irish) and we moved back to Ireland a couple of months after I was born. I did all my schooling in Ireland too and yet I was still eligible for an Irish exemption! Just call NUI and they'll sort it out for you, but get it done soon otherwise you'll be too late!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Thanks a lot that's really helpful!!
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Short answer, no.

Sorry, I meant after :o They have some crazy notion that once you turn 11 you suddenly lose all ability to learn multiple languages

Advertisement