Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any RNID or Psy nurses on here

Options
  • 27-02-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

As the title says ?
    If any of you are post and I'll ask my Q !
    THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 psychnurse

I know this may be a bit late but I am a mental health nurse, if you still need your question answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

psychnurse wrote: »
    I know this may be a bit late but I am a mental health nurse, if you still need your question answering.
    Oh great thanks
    I'm working at moment in a unit primarily intellectual disability but with diagnosis of mental health problems personality disorders schizophrenia depression mood disorders etc

Ok so d Q is there is a mental health service closer to me than my job all older people 65 + I have Gerontology course done also
    So what I'm asking is with my experience and course too would I be employable or do the mental health services only employ Rpn s so that if a person did not suit in one area they move you to another area in the services

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 psychnurse

In the mental health services I worked in, we had one nurse who had a RNID and she was only allowed to work in the two units which were specifically for clients with an intellectual disability and a long term mental health problem.

I don't remember how she came to be our only RNID but I do remember being told that if there were cut backs or closures she would be the first to go as she was not qualified to work anywhere but an intellectual disability specific unit. It may vary from service to service but as far as I am aware to work in the mental health services you have to have at least an RPN otherwise you are not qualified to work in that field. And like you said you need to be able to move from unit to unit depending on your roster and panel placing.

I hope this answers your question.

psychnurse wrote: »
    In the mental health services I worked in, we had one nurse who had a RNID and she was only allowed to work in the two units which were specifically for clients with an intellectual disability and a long term mental health problem.

I don't remember how she came to be our only RNID but I do remember being told that if there were cut backs or closures she would be the first to go as she was not qualified to work anywhere but an intellectual disability specific unit. It may vary from service to service but as far as I am aware to work in the mental health services you have to have at least an RPN otherwise you are not qualified to work in that field. And like you said you need to be able to move from unit to unit depending on your roster and panel placing.

I hope this answers your question.

Hey thanks for that yes it does make sense alright it just confirms my thoughts on d matter
    Oh well my ideas of getting a job close to home not goin to happen yet ! I'll have to seek another way
    Thanks !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I think it's worth applying or at least making enquiries with HR regarding the suitability of your skill-set.
    I may be mistaken but I think your qualification would allow you to invoke a 24 hour holding power (necessary on an acute ward environment).
    Your gerontology course would be an advantage, particularly with respect to dementia and delirium.
    The downside is you may be lacking in the assessment of functional disorders in the over-65 population, this could be remedied with further training though.

• Advertisement

Frito wrote: »
    I think it's worth applying or at least making enquiries with HR regarding the suitability of your skill-set.
    I may be mistaken but I think your qualification would allow you to invoke a 24 hour holding power (necessary on an acute ward environment).
    Your gerontology course would be Anna advantage, particularly with respect to dementia and delirium.
    The downside is you may be lacking in the assessment of functional disorders in the over-65 population, this could be remedied with further training though.

Thanks for that I have been lookin for their HR department and all I have been guided to is publicjobs.ie however there are no vacancies on this for the place I have in mind

I'm afraid to send my cv to the place in case it just gets lost as I can't seem to find any central HR DEPT

Any other particular training you suggest ? Or is it in house training you are thinking of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Was thinking more of in house but that presumes you're working in HSE. Failing that, if you're unionised there may be some union related professional development. Think there are an bord CPD courses such as depression and older adults, ECT, but these will likely require financial commitment, potentially time off work.
    Could you contact unit manager directly to make an enquiry? Or even to discuss possibility of agency work with them as alternate foot in-particularly if no positions are advertised yet it's a way of making yourself known.

Advertisement