Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new speed camera zones

Options
  • 27-02-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭

I spotted a new speed camera zone (i mean safety van zone)sign on the n60 between claremorris and balla. It was just before the beaten path on the left, i didnt notice where it ended.

its not marked on the garda map yet so it must be active yet.

anyone spot any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

http://www.herald.ie/news/hundreds-of-new-speed-traps-in-bid-to-save-more-lives-28964016.html

I've tried to find the locations online but they mustn't be published yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

And 10 times more people die from suicide, wish they would get their head out of the sand and deal with a bigger issue than shooting people in fishbowl speed traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

yop wrote: »
    And 10 times more people die from suicide, wish they would get their head out of the sand and deal with a bigger issue than shooting people in fishbowl speed traps.

Just because X happens we should ignore Y? Speed traps are a tax on stupidity.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Speed traps are a tax on stupidity.
    They're definitely stupidity detectors. My new "favourite" example is the idiot who was doing 60km/h all the way from Castlebar to Westport, only to spot the camera van and slam on the brakes until he was doing 40km/h.

Unfortunately, while they clearly identify the idiots, they don't seem to have a mechanism for prosecuting them.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They're definitely stupidity detectors. My new "favourite" example is the idiot who was doing 60km/h all the way from Castlebar to Westport, only to spot the camera van and slam on the brakes until he was doing 40km/h.

Unfortunately, while they clearly identify the idiots, they don't seem to have a mechanism for prosecuting them.

There's that side to it as well alright. I don't really mind speed detectors personally, i do disagree that they should be removed to prioritise something else - i've always hated those type of arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How about targeting bad driving which I feel is more of an issue than speeding. I drive the N5 all the time where the standard of driving is bloody ridiculous. It's a daily occurrence to have to pass vehicles driving in the hard shoulder, for no other reason than the driver hasn't the confidence to drive at the speed of the rest of the traffic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There's that side to it as well alright. I don't really mind speed detectors personally, i do disagree that they should be removed to prioritise something else - i've always hated those type of arguments.

Who said remove them?
    i've always hated those type of arguments.

What arguement, my point was that over 900 more people died through suicide in 2012 than on the road, yet we have big campaigns like mentioned above about road deaths.

Personally I hate people not understanding the points made in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Do the new zones replace the old ones e.g. N5 and N84 out of Castlebar, or are they in addition to them?

Do the new zones replace the old ones e.g. N5 and N84 out of Castlebar, or are they in addition to them?

Additional to the old ones. Its just extending the zones in a lot of places.
    Looking at a site there over on motors forum, it highlights all fatal, serious, minor crashes.
    Whats "funny" is that where the speedzones are on the road from Cbar to Westport, 2 spots where the vans pull, are not where people were killed. They are on straight stretches.
    It won't slow people down, it will just makes fools ram the brakes for a 100m section, then floor it again.

What arguement, my point was that over 900 more people died through suicide in 2012 than on the road, yet we have big campaigns like mentioned above about road deaths.

And somewhere else something worse is happening, should we ignore suicide until that's fixed?
    Whats "funny" is that where the speedzones are on the road from Cbar to Westport, 2 spots where the vans pull, are not where people were killed. They are on straight stretches.
    Its the same around Ballina, speed van likes to sit where the 50mph becomes a 40mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

And somewhere else something worse is happening, should we ignore suicide until that's fixed?

Its the same around Ballina, speed van likes to sit where the 50mph becomes a 40mph.

tbh I don't think that there's anything worse in this country than the suicide problem we have, especially amongst young men.

tbh I don't think that there's anything worse in this country than the suicide problem we have, especially amongst young men.

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean all issues considered of lesser importance should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean all issues considered of lesser importance should be ignored.

I didn't say they should! We're getting off topic. Speed vans are very annoying but they do have a purpose. Whether or not they're the best solution to teh problem, or whether they're actually being located to generate funds more than save lives, are separate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

There's one on the Ballinrobe road out of Westport, starts just inside the 50km zone. Also one on Newport-Westport road. From barley hill to kilmeena community centre.

They could do with something on the new stretch just outside Newport going towards Westport. Unreal the speed the cars go there. Some amount of wheel tracks in the grass verge too. Disaster waiting to happen methinks.

There's one on the Ballinrobe road out of Westport, starts just inside the 50km zone. Also one on Newport-Westport road. From barley hill to kilmeena community centre.

They could do with something on the new stretch just outside Newport going towards Westport. Unreal the speed the cars go there. Some amount of wheel tracks in the grass verge too. Disaster waiting to happen methinks.

Just proves they are there to swell the coffers and not save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

cant make money off suicide prevention

Those speed trappers got Kilmaine too. :(

Signs at the old school on the Tuam Road and on the Ballinrobe road into Kilmaine. Not sure where it finishes. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel. No one has ever been killed due to speed where this photo was taken if my memory serves me right.

IMG_3849aa_zps59a6bfde.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Also signs put in place on the N5 at Ballyvary, covering the road from there to Bohola, also there's a new one on the Swinford bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

new signs on the Ballyhaunis to Castlerea road as well

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Those speed trappers got Kilmaine too. :(

Signs at the old school on the Tuam Road and on the Ballinrobe road into Kilmaine. Not sure where it finishes. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel. No one has ever been killed due to speed where this photo was taken if my memory serves me right.

IMG_3849aa_zps59a6bfde.jpg

Does somebody have to be killed before they are allowed to enforce the law?

And how on earth is it anything like shooting fish in a barrel? With those massive village entry and speed limit signs, it's more like shooting legally blind drivers and blatant criminals in a barrel!

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    Does somebody have to be killed before they are allowed to enforce the law?

And how on earth is it anything like shooting fish in a barrel? With those massive village entry and speed limit signs, it's more like shooting legally blind drivers and blatant criminals in a barrel!

From the garda website.

"Safety cameras will be on the roads all across Ireland where fatal collisions are happening as a result of inappropriate speed."

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

From the garda website.

"Safety cameras will be on the roads all across Ireland where fatal collisions are happening as a result of inappropriate speed."

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hundreds-of-new-speed-traps-to-catch-rogue-drivers-28953366.html

As that article also states: "The Irish Independent has learned privately operated GoSafe cameras are being moved to new road stretches where there is a history of speed-related fatal or serious injury crashes."

The new zone starts in a 60km stretch where there has been no accident.

5 miles away in Ballinrobe there is a lethal stretch where 3 people have been killed due to speed and numerous injured and there is no camera zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

"It's not about catching people and generating revenue, it's about stopping people from speeding and being seriously injured on our roads

Right you are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

As that article also states: "The Irish Independent has learned privately operated GoSafe cameras are being moved to new road stretches where there is a history of speed-related fatal or serious injury crashes."

The new zone starts in a 60km stretch where there has been no accident.

5 miles away in Ballinrobe there is a lethal stretch where 3 people have been killed due to speed and numerous injured and there is no camera zone.

Are you on about the Castlebar Road?

Stoolbend wrote: »

Would think so, the one at the race course.

I don't understand how its lethal.

And it wasn't a totally speed related accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I don't understand how its lethal.

And it wasn't a totally speed related accident.

If it was'nt, what did cause it. Iirc all the witnesses reported that speed was involved.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1774&Itemid=38

Mayo News

It does say speed was an element.

• Advertisement

Would think so, the one at the race course.

Yes. That's the road.

Advertisement