Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa's Rants (the sequel)

• 27-02-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭

By all accounts an extraordinary post match interview from Rafa tonight. Some quotes below
    @henrywinter: Benitez on #cfc fans: "They are wasting time with their banners and songs. They don't need to worry about me. I leave at end of the season'

@henrywinter: Benitez fuming in press conference here: "These Chelsea fans have an agenda. These Chelsea fans are damaging the image of the club' #cfc

@henrywinter: Benitez: "I'm experienced. I've won the Champions League, the Spanish league twice, the FA Cup. They (fans) are a group with an agenda''

@henrywinter: Benitez says #cfc fans 'must get behind the team or they will be in the Europa League next season'

Pretty wow worthy. Is his position completely untenable now? Cant see him even making the end of the season now myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

KevIRL wrote: »
    By all accounts an extraordinary post match interview from Rafa tonight. Some quotes below

Pretty wow worthy. Is his position completely untenable now? Cant see him even making the end of the season week now myself.

Fixed!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wholl replace him if hes sacked soon? I doubt zenden will take the reigns, he dosent even sit in the dugout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He should have stayed well away from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

He's right. What I dont get is why Chelsea fans are complaining so much now, they havent challenged for a league in years now despite all the money they have spent.

Maybe its not the manager(s) fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's spot on. Chelsea fans should support the team, since Benitez took over, they haven't.

I just hope they get what they want and John Terry gets the job after Benitez. No top manager worth his salt would turn up at that circus now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

KevIRL wrote: »

Pretty wow worthy. Is his position completely untenable now? Cant see him even making the end of the season now myself.

..ain't it a sad day when a manager speaks the absolute truth, faces up to the minority scum, and that he is now expected to lose his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyone wrote: »
    He's right. What I dont get is why Chelsea fans are complaining so much now, they havent challenged for a league in years now despite all the money they have spent.

Maybe its not the manager(s) fault?
    They were Champion's two seasons back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

johnterry10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm no fan of Rafa but he's right in what he said, Chelsea fans are frightened to highlight the real culprit(Roman A) so they pick on the easy target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Leiva wrote: »
    ..ain't it a sad day when a manager speaks the absolute truth, faces up to the minority scum, and that he is now expected to lose his job.
    he's done a worse job than Di Matteo
    his cv as a manager is now 2 very bad jobs in a row
    very foolish in what he said about the fans & being appointed interim manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Chelsea are a shining example of how badly things can go wrong if the owner is constantly interfering with team affairs.

5th place, meet Chelsea. Chelsea, meet 5th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm not Rafa's biggest fan but he's dead right, a horrible club with a lot of scum fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,914 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is hilariously fanf*ckingtastic news.

Just need a Rodgers Benitez replacement and we'll kill the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

He'll get the sack because he's done a **** job as manager. End of.
    Not because of a small group of fans.

Pathetic Liverpool fans still sticking up for him. Oh he's speaking the truth, ooh the fans are gonna get him sacked. Get a life lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

klose wrote: »
    Wholl replace him if hes sacked soon? I doubt zenden will take the reigns, he dosent even sit in the dugout.

Sure Roman might as well just come down to the dugout.... :(

Sure Roman might as well just come down to the dugout.... :(

That would be a great thing to see , Torres will start every game and he might even bring Shevchenko out of retirement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's actually weird and a bit creepy the way certain people still salivate over Beintez. He hasn't been Liverpool manager for bleedin ages, people need to accept that and stop acting like lovesick teenage girls.

He's gone, his new mrs treated him badly, no doubt, but it's still creepy & weird to acting like that about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hard to see Benitez lasting past tomorrow at this rate. Avram Grant will probably be in next until the end of the season. Horrendous manager but he'll allow Roman to pull his puppet strings and Terry and co to do what they want.

Chelsea should never have sacked Ancelotti, criminal mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Slattsy wrote: »
    He'll get the sack because he's done a **** job as manager. End of.
    Not because of a small group of fans.

Pathetic Liverpool fans still sticking up for him. Oh he's speaking the truth, ooh the fans are gonna get him sacked. Get a life lads.
    That's it. I don't know why a lot of Liverpool fans are still making excuses for him. He did well with Liverpool and he's done pretty badly since. If he moves to another club and does badly it will be something else.
    He had the players to make a good go at the league and were in a decent position to do so, now they're clinging on to a Champions League spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

This is not Benitez fault.He is surrounded by a bunch of wonkers who think they are the club-players and an owner who will not define Chelsea as a club(i hope).

Abramovich has done a lot for Chelsea FC but he is on the verge of destroying them.Di Matteo should never have been sacked and Benitez should have known better.
    Chelsea was there long before Abramovich and the Terry crew and will hopefully be there long after they are gone-the sooner the better imo.

Chelsea fans know who the real culprit is in this so they should point the finger in his direction and not use Benitez as a scapegoat for all that is rotten at the club.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Chelsea should never have sacked Ancelotti, criminal mistake.

No to me the sacking of AVB was a criminal mistake he was trying to sort out all the problems of player power and got the bullet .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Everything he said there is correct, the behavior of the Chelsea fans has been a bit ridiculous. On one hand moaning about the merry-go-round of managers and on the other hand quite happy to push a manager out the door without even giving him a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

He's just trying to shift the blame. After he gets fired/leaves it'll be used to defend what a crap job he did and how it would have been different if the fans backed him. He has always been a great manager for excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good man, Rafa. Good man. Very well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's hardly surprising it's gone badly wrong. The fans hated him from day 1 and when that happens it's pretty much game over.

It's actually weird and a bit creepy the way certain people still salivate over Beintez. He hasn't been Liverpool manager for bleedin ages, people need to accept that and stop acting like lovesick teenage girls.

He's gone, his new mrs treated him badly, no doubt, but it's still creepy & weird to acting like that about him.
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    That's it. I don't know why a lot of Liverpool fans are still making excuses for him. He did well with Liverpool and he's done pretty badly since. If he moves to another club and does badly it will be something else.
    He had the players to make a good go at the league and were in a decent position to do so, now they're clinging on to a Champions League spot.

So you can't see past the Liverpool link and see the disgusting chants etc (before a ball was kicked under his management) and call it up for what it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So you can't see past the Liverpool link and see the disgusting chants etc (before a ball was kicked under his management) and call it up for what it is?

It's actually weird and a bit creepy, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Chelsea really is a horrible club. I feel sorry for a (small) minority of their fans who have their heads screwed on.

If people refuse to believe Benitez was (and is) a great manager, simply look no further than AVB. Spurs arent doing to bad eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Was a disaster at inter, after having a poor season at Liverpool, he was desperate for a job that's why he took it. Can't have it all his own way, you need to dig in and win over the fans, he should look at how pardew has done it at Newcastle as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Rafa failed in the later part of his Pool career, was a disaster at Inter and failed again at Chelsea. I think he's finished.

The irony :pac:
    If he wasn't Liverpool manager before this...

The irony :pac:
    If he wasn't Liverpool manager before this...

You will have to explain the irony of my post.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He wasn't a disaster at Inter, that's a myth that needs dispelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every complaining Chelsea supporter should read Gary Nevilles article about Roman and his search for a manager.
    So where does he go now?

If you were a headhunter drawing up a short-list for managers next season and didn't know the history of the club, where would you look? The best in Spain?

Well Tito Vilanova's not going to leave Barcelona so you would have to look at Mourinho. But you've sacked him.

In England, you'll never get Sir Alex or Arsene Wenger and you'll never buy out Roberto Mancini at Manchester City.

So which manager is third in the league right now? Well, that's Benitez. You've already got him.

What about fourth? That's Villas-Boas. But you've sacked him.

Look to France and who is manager of their biggest club, Paris St Germain - a man with enormous pedigree in the game? Ancelotti. But you've sacked him.

Look further abroad then.

Who is manager of the most successful nation in football history, Brazil? Who has been entrusted with that nation's most important campaign, the 2014 World Cup, which they will host? That's Scolari.

But you've sacked him.

There are other options of course like Bayerns outgoing Jupp Heynckes but the point is being reached when the most likely candidates will be drawn from the ranks of the either the veteran who doesn't care but would like a final payday or the unproven but ambitious.

You will have to explain the irony of my post.thanks
    You're implying I can't see past the Liverpool link yet if he never managed Liverpool you would see it for what it is, a manager who has done a bad job with a team of top players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'll be amazed if he's still in the job by end of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm a fan of Benitez but he is talking out of his arse when he's referring to the interim manager title. I agree it was wrong but my point is that he'll have known what he'd be getting in for and he knew well that he was going to be labelled as interim manager too. If he was that bothered about it he shouldn't have taken the job in the first place.

This ''rant'' also doesn't help his future employment prospects. I can completely understand his frustrations, but other club owners won't be enthralled over the possibility of him upsetting the fans and talking about a club in a negative light, even though it's pretty much just common sense what he said. Sad that you can't speak the truth any more regarding fans behaviour but that's football these days.

As for Chelsea, they should just appoint England's Brave John Terry as manager and be done with it. No other manager stands a chance when the likes of Terry, Lampard and Cole are calling the shots every day. In fairness they're still very good players who produce the goods on the field and won't be got rid of because of that so what can you do? It's either appoint a puppet or no one and you're back to square one again.

Chelsea won't find any stability until something changes in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

He is the manager of McDonalds and the guys that make the burgers decide to down tools-not a recipe for success i would think

You try going into your job tomorrow and having to face the reality that half of who you work with don't want you there-see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

mike65 wrote: »
    Every complaining Chelsea supporter should read Gary Nevilles article about Roman and his search for a manager.

There are other options of course like Bayerns outgoing Jupp Heynckes but the point is being reached when the most likely candidates will be drawn from the ranks of the either the veteran who doesn't care but would like a final payday or the unproven but ambitious.

He's being a bit disingenuous with Scolari there, it was pretty clear he was never going to make it at Chelsea. It was mistake appointing him, not sacking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

johnterry10.jpg

CAPT, LEADER, LEGEND

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

CAPT, LEADER, LEGEND

Manager

You're implying I can't see past the Liverpool link yet if he never managed Liverpool you would see it for what it is, a manager who has done a bad job with a team of top players.

I would see it like this:

1.)a club with high calibre players that have failed to perform under previous managers resulting in owner sacking numerous mangers over short term period=wrong.

2.) a manager getting booed and heckled before a ball is kicked under his management=disgusting.

3.) a manager failing to get the most out of the calibre of player at his disposal= management failure.

4.) answers 1+2+3 = manager doomed from the start.

Now see its no big feat to be able to see past Rafa previous employment to see how this would have panned out, so I don't see any irony in my OP, but hey us Liverpool supporters are just all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If he had done what he said he was going to do - win games, he wouldnt have this problem
    Actually has the worst win rate of ANY roman manager

If he had done what he said he was going to do - win games, he wouldnt have this problem
    Actually has the worst win rate of ANY roman manager

I don't mean this in a bad way but you are just desensitised by Romans knee jerk reactions and it's become the norm to you.

Just take a step back.

I would see it like this:

1.)a club with high calibre players that have failed to perform under previous managers resulting in owner sacking numerous mangers over short term period=wrong.

2.) a manager getting booed and heckled before a ball is kicked under his management=disgusting.

3.) a manager failing to get the most out of the calibre of player at his disposal= management failure.

4.) answers 1+2+3 = manager doomed from the start.

Now see its no big feat to be able to see past Rafa previous employment to see how this would have panned out, so I don't see any irony in my OP, but hey us Liverpool supporters are just all the same.
    Results on the pitch shut that sh*t up. They didn't want him from the start, that was clear. The fans should have given him a chance but the majority of Chelsea fans were upset with the replacement of Di Matteo. The results were just fuel to the fire.

If they were still challenging, the Benitez out brigade would have dwindled to next to nothing by now.

Results on the pitch shut that sh*t up. They didn't want him from the start, that was clear. The fans should have given him a chance but the majority of Chelsea fans were upset with the replacement of Di Matteo. The results were just fuel to the fire.

Exactly.

And imo that's how the majority see it but being a Liverpool supporter and entering the debate shouldn't come with a special badge, and being singled out as some sort scary Rafa worshipers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Terry seems to have a big say at the club, would love to see him put in as manager - might shut him up and show how hard it is to manage a group of mercenaries. :D

I don't mean this in a bad way but you are just desensitised by Romans knee jerk reactions and it's become the norm to you.

Just take a step back.

I wouldnt say "desensitised", hell we even backed Grant and AVB, without singing their names, but it was clear that Rafa would never be accepted

All Chelsea fans want a long term manager but the majority of fans will suffer Roman and his bad choice of advisors adn decsisions etc, simply because he is the golden goose and does genuinaley want chelsea to win stuff and cant understand how a team he has spent so much on, isnt winning more or beating the likes of league 1 sides (like the rest of us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What did he expect with his results? Fans who didn't want him there in the first place to turn around and support him off the back of that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement