Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa's Rants (the sequel)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

managing chelsea is a poisoned chalice,all because of mr abramovic .hope he gets fed up with the game he is playing and sells up.

getting a manager of rafa benitez quality would be a pipe dream once again for chelsea fans.

short memories indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mike65 wrote: »

Interesting fact, AVB and RDM were both sacked on the back of results to WBA in the league, who's up next for Rafa.....WBA at the Bridge, it's also 364 days since AVB got sacked.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXoXRzgkk9eNP_BwB83fHWnUkdBlIBLAT3KoECRBOC3bwuVMix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I hope he sticks around for the FA cup game. He really got under Fergie's skin this time

Yawwwwwwnn....19 points say Fergie doesn't give him much thought. They were 4 points when Rafa took over. Do some people forget Rafa ranting and then bottle the league? But it's OK, he gets under Fergies skin :rolleyes:

Rafa isn't totally blameless, but he has been treated badly by some fans. I don't know what he was expecting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Yawwwwwwnn....19 points say Fergie doesn't give him much thought. They were 4 points when Rafa took over. Do some people forget Rafa ranting and then bottle the league? But it's OK, he gets under Fergies skin :rolleyes:

Rafa isn't totally blameless, but he has been treated badly by some fans. I don't know what he was expecting though.
    Bottled the league after "ranting" in 2009, Liverpool played 18 games after that, won 12, drew 5 and lost 1 so I wouldn't call that bottling it considering they beat Man Utd 4-1 at Old Trafford during that period. United from what I remember were on the ropes and were rescued twice at the death by Macheda.
    After Rafa took the Chelsea job in Fergies first interview he referred to his own player (Rafael) as "Rafa Benitez" so it's fair to say on some level he riles Fergie. But everything he said about Chelsea and their "fans" last night was right, it was very very blunt but it was right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Dotsey wrote: »
    After Rafa took the Chelsea job in Fergies first interview he referred to his own player (Rafael) as "Rafa Benitez" so it's fair to say on some level he riles Fergie.

Taking a 70 year old man to task for mistaking one name for another.

New low for this forum tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

That actually sounds like a compliment to the forum. Old low mustn't have been very low if this is the new low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm not Rafa's biggest fan but he's dead right, a horrible club with a lot of scum fans.

.....but......surely he knew ALL of the above before signing a bloody contract with them. He is acting almost surprised. Nothing should surprise anyone with the carry on of that club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He also called Gareth Bale "Christian" so it's not an isolated incident.

Shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Pighead wrote: »
    That actually sounds like a compliment to the forum. Old low mustn't have been very low if this is the new low.

leave Old Low out of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

just like his first "rant" Rafa is of course 100% correct again but this gets overlooked because he speaks passionately.

Shame really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Iang87 wrote: »
    just like his first "rant" Rafa is of course 100% correct again but this gets overlooked because he speaks passionately.

Shame really

hahahahahhaa

he was not "correct" with his anti-Ferguson tirade.

lolz0rs.

hahahahahhaa

he was not "correct" with his anti-Ferguson tirade.

lolz0rs.

find me 1 of the facts he spoke about that was untrue.

Truly is fascinating the power that ferguson has over some people that when they're presented with actual truths they still believe its wrong. Anyway thats another discussion to be had for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

find me 1 of the facts he spoke about that was untrue.

Truly is fascinating the power that ferguson has over some people that when they're presented with actual truths they still believe its wrong. Anyway thats another discussion to be had for another day.

jiFfM.jpg

if its facepalm worthy then surely you're capable of a valid point or actually no you're right acting like a 5 year old is correct

Well then a 5 year old has more cop on.

No valid point needed really to explain BS.

I'm actually begging you find me one of the "facts" he spoke about about that wasn't true. Should he have said it who knows but what he said was right he didnt lie just like last night he didnt lie. That was my point and you reacted like a child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

barone wrote: »
    getting a manager of rafa benitez quality would be a pipe dream once again for chelsea fans.

short memories indeed...
    Ehh, think you may have the short memory. Very short. They already have a manager of very similar quality of Rafa. Very, very similar :pac:

Listen, you made a point about Ferguson that is total BS.

Why he is mentioned in here in first place about Rafa im not sure. But go ahead with the Digs if it makes you feel better in life.

Just think discussion that was going along reasonable has be derailed by people with agenda.

/

Listen, you made a point about Ferguson that is total BS.

Why he is mentioned in here in first place about Rafa im not sure. But go ahead with the Digs if it makes you feel better in life.

Just think discussion that was going along reasonable has be derailed by people with agenda.

/

My point about ferguson isn't BS its just you're on the he can do no wrong side of the fence. Dont get me wrong I'm at the complete opposite side to you which also makes me biased but calling my point BS is ridiculous because you dont agree with it.

It wasn't a dig its a point I do believe so ya you go on ahead thinking everyone else is having digs if that makes you feel better but sometimes just sit back and think someones opinion on united and ferguson might be different to yours.

As you mentioned the thread was derailed so i'll put it back on line,

Rafa just like the first time was right with what he said, should he have said it? I dont know, but should he be slated for speaking openly, absolutely not. Its ridiculous that so often we complain that players and managers always feed us the same crap in interviews and when someone is finally honest then we slate them for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Something that always confuses me about the Rafa lovefest, Houllier did practically as good a job as him(I know he didn't win the Champions League but he won numerous trophies and got them to second in the league as well). Yet, hes not loved in the same way. This confuses me.

Fergie is far from saint, even a biased United fan would admit that.

I just dont know what Fergie brings to the table in a discussion about........

Rafa and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rafa and Chelsea.
    The name of the thread Rafa's Rants so all his rants can be discussed here I think.

Rafa and Chelsea.

The reason he came in is that someone else posted his anti-ferguson tirade wasn't right then I brought him into it. I didnt just think how can I turn this into an anti-united thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rafa's previous rant had a very long and dedicated thread. Focus on the current rant or don't post at all.

Can I ask why the chelsea fans are so anti rafa. It cant be the liverpool connection because they accepted torres (and his song) and meireles with open arms. It cant be because of di Matteo because Rafa didnt sack him and it cant be because of being hired because he didnt hire himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Rafa is a legend, everything he said is true. He made the chelsea fans look so stupid which they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Saw this in my twitter feed.

"Once they get rid of Rafa on Saturday night, Chelsea will have sacked four of the last seven managers to win the Champions League."

So yea, quite clear the issue is Rafa :pac:

Can I ask why the chelsea fans are so anti rafa. It cant be the liverpool connection because they accepted torres (and his song) and meireles with open arms. It cant be because of di Matteo because Rafa didnt sack him and it cant be because of being hired because he didnt hire himself?

I'm not anti-Rafa, I couldnt care who manages the club as long as they bring success, thet long and short of it at the moment Rafa hasnt done that, we've thrown away stupid points and winnable games but again its not all Rafa, the players have to shoulder the blame.

On the Meireles point, he was a player that when we played Barca at the Nou Camp gave it all and I was actually gutted he was going to miss the final after his booking.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Saw this in my twitter feed.

"Once they get rid of Rafa on Saturday night, Chelsea will have sacked four of the last seven managers to win the Champions League."

So yea, quite clear the issue is Rafa :pac:

Whoever they get next will have to be seen as a Legend within the club to be a success. Zola maybe if he was interested. Some will say he has no experience, but to lot of Chelsea fans that go to home games just want somebody who they love and adore and not who might be a good manager it seems.

Whoever they get next will have to be seen as a Legend within the club to be a success. Zola maybe if he was interested. Some will say he has no experience, but to lot of Chelsea fans that go to home games just want somebody who they love and adore and not who might be a good manager it seems.

That would be a backwards step IMO.

Its all well and good saying hire and ex-legend who's now a manager but at what cost?

Zola isnt up to the level yet and it would cost the club again when he under performers with the team and is sacked.

On the flip side of the coin, any good, level headed manager that has good stock in the game will probably reject Cheslea so we could be caught between a rock and a hard place of signing an ex-legend with little or no experience and be back to square one in a few months time.

The majority would cream themselves at Jose return, after that I think the majority of fans just want someone that will get a good stab at it and not turfed out after a bad patch, I know that's what I want, a bit of stability and not to curtail the development of the younger players chopping and changing managers and systems.

Roman has been 'manager' since he bought Shevchenko, the lad in the dugout is just a face to answer questions. So will the next one.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    That would be a backwards step IMO.

Its all well and good saying hire and ex-legend who's now a manager but at what cost?

Zola isnt up to the level yet and it would cost the club again when he under performers with the team and is sacked.

On the flip side of the coin, any good, level headed manager that has good stock in the game will probably reject Cheslea so we could be caught between a rock and a hard place of signing an ex-legend with little or no experience and be back to square one in a few months time.

The majority would cream themselves at Jose return, after that I think the majority of fans just want someone that will get a good stab at it and not turfed out after a bad patch, I know that's what I want, a bit of stability and not to curtail the development of the younger players chopping and changing managers and systems.

Its just a pity that the genuine Chelsea fans like you are not being heard and that the Boo boys/men are winning the day.

I just feel those Chelsea fans are making life more difficult for the club then anybody at times and blaming Rafa is a mere excuse.

I feel more of the high profile names will stay well away from Chelsea now as its not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

daithijjj wrote: »
    Roman has been 'manager' since he bought Shevchenko, the lad in the dugout is just a face to answer questions. So will the next one.
    I don't think you are being fair to Ancelotti.

It just seems that the manager doesn't have much input into what players are signed by the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Its just a pity that the genuine Chelsea fans like you are not being heard and that the Boo boys/men are winning the day.

I just feel those Chelsea fans are making life more difficult for the club then anybody at times and blaming Rafa is a mere excuse.

I feel more of the high profile names will stay well away from Chelsea now as its not worth the hassle.

High profile names will always be interested in the job and it'll always be worth the hassle due to the money and the fact when you get sacked you lose little to no credibility.

• Advertisement

Its not just the genuine fans, more the level headed fans among us, if they take a step back and not just blame everyone but themselves and try be more positive for the team then maybe we could get somewhere.

The applause on 16mins, no problem with it, the constant absue of Rafa, ok we get and he definetly gets it, we all know hes gone in May anyway so lets try back the team, which is all Rafa wants, he couldnt give a fiddlers if 10, 100, 1000 or all 42,000 are booing or want him out, as long as it continues its a negative for the entire club, the players, the PR the image, everything.

Ask the majority of opposition fans what they think of Chelsea and you'll get the same answers, joke of a club, money bought success, horrible players/managers etc etc etc

Thigns like the above dont help at all and when it starts to effect your own team, the team you're paying to support is when you should know to zip it and support the team, the 11 players out there that you're paying to see week in week out.

I agree with all your points, it could well cost us big name players and managers when they know that it could all turn into a circus in a few weeks, there is no stability in place and as long as we keep up the hire um, fire um approach this saga will continue year on year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

bullvine wrote: »
    Something that always confuses me about the Rafa lovefest, Houllier did practically as good a job as him(I know he didn't win the Champions League but he won numerous trophies and got them to second in the league as well). Yet, hes not loved in the same way. This confuses me.

I wouldn't say that. I don't personally know any Liverpool fans who don't hold Houllier in high regard. I think its that Houllier didn't/doesn't get as much stick as Rafa so the support for Rafa is magnified as he is the one being defended all the time

eagle eye wrote: »

It just seems that the manager doesn't have much input into what players are signed by the club.

Piet De Visser and Emenalo have a huge say in what comes into the club.

You can understand De Visser, he's had success in the past with some world class players but Emenalo is the one that most fans dont want near the club.

Both have a say in Romans ear and both are apparent trusted advisors, if you believe what is written online and in the press.

There was a few incidents when players came in over Carlo and Jose heads and all they were asked was would they like X , Y or Z to sign.

Recently we had the same happen with AVB, he wanted to bring Mouthino to the club but he was told you can have Mata instead, thank christ that one worked out well.

But it is a baffling system that's in place if a manager has his targets and then is told you can have them you're getting someone else instead.

eagle eye wrote: »

What's not fair?. Am i more or less fair than Roman?.

All im saying is that it means nothing, Roman is the 'manager' of Chelsea, the person called the manager is merely a coach. Ancelotti did not want Torres, Shevchenko is even quoted as saying it was the owners persistence that made him go there, no mention of the manager and both those players records at the club speak volumes for that 'interfering'. No doubt there are plenty of other examples. Owner shows no signs of changing, at some point he will have to as the purchasing power to buy your way out of it is squeezed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

For such an overrated, rubbish manager there sure is a lot of deep, dark hatred towards him residing in many people's hearts.
    I don't hate him at all I just don't understand the love some people have towards the guy. He was good and successful with both Valencia and Liverpool but since then he has not done much to be so highly rated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

A gaffe in politics is to accidentally say something that's true. Apparently now a rant in football is when someone makes a few perfectly valid points.

Rafa shouldn't have gone near them. But now that he's tjere he might as well do it his way. Worst thing would be to leave with regrets.

He was never given a chance from day 1, grown men with "Rafa out" banners at his first game. In all fairness, where's the logic there.

Chanting anti Benitez songs and yet ignoring the guy who actually appointed him

genius-meme.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Anyone wrote: »
    He's right. What I dont get is why Chelsea fans are complaining so much now, they havent challenged for a league in years now despite all the money they have spent.

Maybe its not the manager(s) fault?

Course its not the managers fault, its clearly the players that are underperforming, they decide they dont like a manager and thats it then, give 80% during games and wait for the next manager to come in and see if they like him.

Chelsea need a change in playing staff more than a change in manager, its happened countless times at different clubs in the EPL now and will continue to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

That is correct, Roman brought in Rafa to take the heat. Chelsea hung Rafa out to dry and he eventually snapped.

No top manager in their right mind will take that job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

doc_17 wrote: »
    A gaffe in politics is to accidentally say something that's true. Apparently now a rant in football is when someone makes a few perfectly valid points.

Rafa shouldn't have gone near them. But now that he's tjere he might as well do it his way. Worst thing would be to leave with regrets.

Rafa went there for the money. He knew he was going to be flagged up as interim manager - as were Hiddink and Di Matteo - and he knew that he wasn't going to be welcomed with open arms by some of the fans.

His reputation has been on a downward trajectory for some time now. Liverpool could have brought him back, but didn't, opting for Rogers instead. Spurs passed on the opportunity, as did countless others. A rant in football is when things aren't going well and it's everybody else that is to blame. Wenger's particularly good at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He was never given a chance from day 1, grown men with "Rafa out" banners at his first game. In all fairness, where's the logic there.

Chanting anti Benitez songs and yet ignoring the guy who actually appointed him

genius-meme.png

abramavic has brought/bought them a lot of success, Rafa isn't getting the results, I was watching fox sports and he has the second worst win percentage as a manager under abramavic. People can blame the players but the manager has to take a lot of blame too. The fans didn't get behind him but they didn't think he's a good manager and he's proving them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Has he gone yet? :D

I have no problem with the banners and chants calling for him out.

Roman has made as many good decisions as he has bad, and hiring a manager who ran Inter into the ground, and who was unemployed for 2 years, ranks as one of the worst.
    Chelsea fans are just worried for their club, as its plain to just about everyone except Roman, just how inept and unsuitable for Chelsea, Rafa was/is.

Sadly we have been proved right, and even with such resources at his disposal, he plainly couldnt coach his way out of a plastic bag

I suppose true passionate fans who help pay his wages should just sit and applaud his weird subs and inflexible formations etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Has he gone yet? :D

I have no problem with the banners and chants calling for him out.

Roman has made as many good decisions as he has bad, and hiring a manager who ran Inter into the ground, and who was unemployed for 2 years, ranks as one of the worst.
    Chelsea fans are just worried for their club, as its plain to just about everyone except Roman, just how inept and unsuitable for Chelsea, Rafa was/is.

Sadly we have been proved right, and even with such resources at his disposal, he plainly couldnt coach his way out of a plastic bag

I suppose true passionate fans who help pay his wages should just sit and applaud his weird subs and inflexible formations etc etc

Champions league aside, remember he inherited a team that finished only 6th in the league last season.

You should take a leaf out of Gavs book instead of following the sheep.

T-K-O wrote: »

No top manager in their right mind will take that job

That could be an issue.

Alot thought Rafa was just filling in until Pep took over. Thankfully he has sense.

Mourinhio will hardly go back

• Advertisement
Advertisement