Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon brushes on circular saw

Options
  • 28-02-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I don't know if this is the correct section for this but.... I have a circular saw and in the past year (of not too much use) I have had to replace the carbon brushes twice, Its a 110v hitachi saw thats only a couple of years old but it seems unusual for the carbon brushes to keep shattering.

Does anyone know what would cause this??

Thanks,
    Steven Power.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Only thing I can suggest is to try getting brushes from a different source, depending on who makes them, they can vary significantly in hardness and durability.

The other possible issue is that if either the supply lead to the 110V transformer, or the length of the lead FROM the 110 transformer is a bit long, if the voltage is low as a result, that might be causing damage to the brushes,

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Only thing I can suggest is to try getting brushes from a different source, depending on who makes them, they can vary significantly in hardness and durability.

The other possible issue is that if either the supply lead to the 110V transformer, or the length of the lead FROM the 110 transformer is a bit long, if the voltage is low as a result, that might be causing damage to the brushes,

Thanks Steve ill try shorter leads and see how I get on :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Id say its more likely problems with the brushes or commutator than voltage.

The commutator it the copper strips the brushes make contact with, which reverse the rotor polarity of each winding as they spin. Just check there is no damage to the commutator itself. It should be shiny copper with no bits missing or damaged.

Universal motors should be well able for varying voltages supplied to them, although voltage can be a factor alright if the motor is continuously heavily loaded on too low a voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Bruthal wrote: »
    Id say its more likely problems with the brushes or commutator than voltage.

The commutator it the copper strips the brushes make contact with, which reverse the rotor polarity of each winding as they spin. Just check there is no damage to the commutator itself. It should be shiny copper with no bits missing or damaged.

Universal motors should be well able for varying voltages supplied to them, although voltage can be a factor alright if the motor is continuously heavily loaded on too low a voltage.

I'll have a look at the commutator tomorrow and see, I noticed today one of my 110 leads is faulty (the one I usually run the saw off) so that may be why.

Advertisement