Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should my 6 week old be eating?

Options
  • 28-02-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

After looking many places on line again I have to trun to boards for help. Thank you in advance.

Only thing I could find online is a baby should be eatting 150ml per day per KG.

Does any one have more detail info on what he should be eating. There are signs of hunger after 90ml bottle which he gets around every 3 hours.

We as midwife lactation consultant and can't get straight answer. MOstly on mothers milk with top up of 15ml or 30 ml of formula if not enough milk pumped.

Not breatfeeding going the mum's milk from bottle.

Many thanks again.

Regards Gar

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My boy is 7 weeks and has 180mls 5 times a day.
    He is now on formula as I was very tired feeding him myself constantly and expressing,then topping him up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

At 6 weeks old it would be normal for a baby to be nursing every 1.5-2 hours, as well as 'cluster feeding' (particularly in the evening) for 3 or 4 hours.
    The more mum feeds, the more milk she will produce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's no normal at six weeks. My lass was still fed on demand at that stage, with a top up of a small bottle of formula, can't remember how much. Feeding more means its easier to produce more milk, which leads to more efficient feeding later on.

I found the first six-eight weeks of BF the hardest, after that it was a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You're not getting a straight answer because it's hard to give one. Babies eat different amounts at different times. I just kept feeding until they stopped drinking themselves. And if they cried again two-ish hours later, offered more. They have their own little appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Does he drain the 90ml bottle? If so, add another ounce to it and see if he'll take more.

At that age, I made up bottles with a little more than my daughter usually needed. If she was draining bottles, I had no guarantee that she was full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Ive just put my just five week old up to five ounces.

She has about five bottles a day and depending how early her evening bottle is she may get a small top up feed around 23:00 which shes her to sleep till about 6!

She would only drink the five full ounces maybe twice a day but before i up hdr bottles every so ofter she looked for more.the say u should give about half their weight in ounces.. 8lb baby - 4 ozs

But nothing is set in stone.

If they r looking for more sometimes then up the bottles

Advertisement