Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference letter

Options
  • 28-02-2013 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, im leaving the country this week and the bussiness i work for now only gives oral references, they dont give a letter, is there anyway i could get one off them...ive worked there for 4 and a half year i dont understand why...
    thank you

ps. its not just me, its with all employees that have left

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There is no requirement on them to give you a written reference. If they won't do it, that is their perogative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And no company would believe a written reference with out getting it confirmed orally anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Ask them for a letter which states your name, job title and start/end date. They shouldn't have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tony81 wrote: »
    Ask them for a letter which states your name, job title and start/end date. They shouldn't have a problem with that.

Agreed: the HR jargon for it is a "certificate of service". Quite different from a reference.

Also make sure that you have names and contact details your manager and key colleagues filed away somewhere safe, so that you can give them when someone asks for a reference. Ideally personal as well as company details, in case they change jobs. Also make sure you add them as colleagues in LinkedIn.

Advertisement